HELP First time in ohio/ Michigan/ indiana for camping

Camping in the Midwest, including Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin & Kentucky. Also includes Buckeye, Hoosier and BlueGrass Tearjerker chapters

HELP First time in ohio/ Michigan/ indiana for camping

Postby 1firefly » Sat May 26, 2012 4:32 pm

Hi
canadian need some recmondation for camping site. First time camping on this side of the u.s. planning to go to shinshewana flea market in indiana (looks cool) So far i am thinking of staying at shinshewana campground or pokagon s.p in angola indiana. (i was told in michigan you have to pay a extra $30 entrance fee to camp in a state park??? so a koa ect. might be cheaper? for 1 or 2 night. Is ohio/indiana the same thing???)
Any help would be appreciated thank you
Last edited by 1firefly on Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:31 am, edited 4 times in total.
1firefly
Teardrop Builder

Re: HELP Fist time in ohio/ Michigan/ indiana for camping

Postby Shadow Catcher » Sat May 26, 2012 8:08 pm

I can personally recommend Harrison Lake State Park in NW Ohio, it would be a fairly easy drive from the Pinery and it is straight shot west to Shipshewana. Or depending on the date stop with us about 20miles west. We will be headed out to California in June and should be back some time in July.
Tom
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Re: HELP Fist time in ohio/ Michigan/ indiana for camping

Postby Verna » Sat May 26, 2012 8:36 pm

Each state has a daily fee to get into the State Park. IF you're going to spend more than 3 or 4 days in State Parks in a specific state, it pays to buy a yearly pass for that state. If you're only going to spend one night in each state, then it's less expensive to pay the daily fee. I think the daily fee in Indiana for State Parks is around $8.00 and about the same for Michigan. I paid for a yearly pass in Michigan last September because we stayed 5 nights in their State Parks, and it was cheaper to buy the yearly pass. (The yearly fee in Indiana is $36.00.)

Indiana's State Park camping fees are $25.50 per night, plus the $8.00 State Park fee. The KOA I stayed at that was close to Shipshewana last year was between $40.00 to $50.00 per night. I think the State Parks are less expensive....and prettier!!! (Personal opinion, and I've stayed at a few KOA's.)

I hope this helps
Verna
Indianapolis, IN
Verna
Gold Donating Member

Return to Midwest