2014 Shivaree

Camping in the Midwest, including Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin & Kentucky. Also includes Buckeye, Hoosier and BlueGrass Tearjerker chapters

Re: 2014 Shivaree

Postby Verna » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:44 am

Nan, not necessarily just a "Guy thing "!!!! I visited the 2012 during the day, and I participated at the 2013 one. 2014 ? We 'll see ;)
Verna
Indianapolis, IN
Verna
Gold Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:06 pm

Talked to the park today, (in fact they called me). We will have a dozen sites cleared and the roads ready for us on Saturday.

I also received a call from Tracy Moyer a reporter from the Anderson Herald Tribune she will be out to visit and talk with us and a photographer will arrive about 2PM to take pictures of this hearty ( but some what crazy ) crew. :thumbsup:

So we will have newspaper coverage of this years shivaree, so the rest of ya at home can read about us while you are uh-- uh-- uh- busy ?? :poop:

Fri Jan 24

20°
19°
Mostly Cloudy / Wind
Chance of snow:0%
Wind:SSW at 28 mph

Details Sat Jan 25

31°

Few Snow Showers / Wind
Chance of snow:30%
Wind: W at 25 mph

Details Sun Jan 26

25°

Snow Shower
Chance of snow:40%
Wind:SW at 16 mph
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby prohandyman » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:58 pm

As of tonite... 2-4 inches predicted! I am out... Not condusive to learnng to walk on new knee!
Dan
155200 Facebook group 164774163701
prohandyman
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Verna » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:39 pm

So much difference between TWC and the Weather Underground's forecast!!
Verna
Indianapolis, IN
Verna
Gold Donating Member

Postby 48Rob » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:57 pm

Verna,

I've noticed the same thing...
Try weather.gov also, much better than the weather channel, which seems intent on giving the most general info it can between naming storms and going for ratings instead of providing accurate info.

Rob
Waiting for "someday" will leave you on your deathbed wondering why you didn't just rearrange your priorities and enjoy the time you had, instead of waiting for a "better" time to come along...
48Rob
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Verna » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:14 pm

Thanks, Rob. We'll see which one is closest!!! Snow on the roads Saturday morning says NO.
Verna
Indianapolis, IN
Verna
Gold Donating Member

Postby prohandyman » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:32 am

You can switch back and forth between the 3 major networks here locally, while they are showing the weather and all three will be different from each other, sometimes by quite a bit. My guess is they rely on computer models, and there must be several, then interpret which model they want to go by.
Dan
155200 Facebook group 164774163701
prohandyman
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:33 am

Please note!

Sorry to say: The 2014 Shiveree has been cancelled due to the freezing conditions as well as snow potential for the weekend.

It's fun (I know) but it's just too dangerous to be out in this stuff.

Everyone is to stay warm at home and not risk the adventure this year. No one would feel good about it if something happened to one of our group.

See you in the spring.

I will email everyone on my list to let them know and hopefully it won't mess up any plans for the weekend.
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana) Director "Hoosier" chapter
Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby Verna » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:00 am

Thank you, Kurt. While I was looking forward to it, the thought of the extreme weather was sure beginning to change my mind. Maybe we can get together either in February or March.
Verna
Indianapolis, IN
Verna
Gold Donating Member

Postby indycamper » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:36 am

I second Verna's idea. Although I was looking forward to my first Shivaree and was optimistically telling everyone how Verna and I could stay warm in extreme conditions, I was not really that sure of it. Glad I don't have to worry about freezing! Which means that my goal of camping every month this year is already busted. Oh well, there is always next year!
Sharon

I really need to re-retire one of these days.
indycamper
Teardrop Master

Postby Verna » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:39 am

Better safe than sorry. At least we know your new Little Guy 6-wide cabin is better insulated than your old one and I know my Silver Shadow is better insulated than my old 4-wide. We can stay warm.
Verna
Indianapolis, IN
Verna
Gold Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:55 am

I contacted Mounds State Park and told them of our decision so they wouldn't go to any special effort for us.

I have also drafted an artical for the Anderson paper and included a collage of pictures of past shivarees and a few lines about the group.

Polar Vortex pommels party plans

The Indiana Tearjerkers routinely gather in January for an overnight camping get together. This year was to be no exception. The gathering site this year was to be Mounds State Park. This little lark is a way to break up the monotony of winter and get in touch with camping friends. A big fire and hot drinks and good food is the order of the day and at dusk they all retire to their tiny camping trailers.

Started in the winter of 08, this gathering has occurred every year since and has gotten bigger and bigger. Folks have attended from every corner of Indiana and a few have joined from neighboring states. However this year Mother Nature has been so unkind that the event has had to be canceled. Safety and common sense has to be weighed and measured and this year the weather is simply too deadly to be enjoyable.

Yesterday I spent about an hour getting a path dug to the back of the storage building. Rifled through the camping goodies inside and finally found the steps to the barn buried under a pile of satellite dishes and walkers. Repaired the 4 way flat that had been mashed somehow and got all hooked up. Blasted back thru the 2 foot drifts leading up to the building and all the while a little voice in the back of my mind was asking me if I was nuts. Got home and started out by sorting food stuffs out of the pantry to see what I would need to purchase today ( Thursday) . Well this morning I hear Bob Gregory telling us about the bitter cold combining with the incoming snow and the little voice was back again ( are you nuts )

Well it all goes back to the post further back in the thread we must be safe first and foremost. I will miss you guys and gals but will be happy to see you down the road a ways when it's a bit warmer.

Our Anderson reporter made me promise that the next time we are at Mounds to let her know. She still wants to do an artical about us. :thumbsup:
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby bobhenry » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:45 pm

indycamper wrote:I second Verna's idea. Although I was looking forward to my first Shivaree and was optimistically telling everyone how Verna and I could stay warm in extreme conditions, I was not really that sure of it. Glad I don't have to worry about freezing! Which means that my goal of camping every month this year is already busted. Oh well, there is always next year!

Sharon,

Backyard camping counts :D

And the best part you just have to stay till after midnight to make it legal ! :laughter:
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby indycamper » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:49 pm

Bobhenry - that was my thought as I left for work this morning! So I will heat up the camper Saturday, head out for a few hours, then return to the wilds of my bed once nature makes the camper unbearable!
Sharon

I really need to re-retire one of these days.
indycamper
Teardrop Master

Postby Verna » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:51 pm

Sharon, you need to invest in either a down sleeping bag or a down (or down alternative) comforter. It sure made last year's Shiveree bearable. I have a down one you could borrow for the weekend.
Verna
Indianapolis, IN
Verna
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Midwest