Camp ADK Spring TearUp 2007

Northeast Region including New York, Rhode Island, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, West Virginia, Massachusetts & Connecticut - Tearjerkers founder Todd Brunengraber Also New England, New York State, Liberty Bell, and Potomac Basin Chapters of the TearJerkers

Postby Joseph » Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:32 am

Kurt (Indiana) wrote:One question; What about a fishing license? Does New York State require a short term license to fish at FCP?
Hate to waist the time looking for one after I get there, so any advanced information would be great.

Ray gave you the prices. At the Blue Line Sport Shop in nearby Saranac Lake you can get a license and find out what the hatch is. I got a 7 day license there last year.

Joseph
Joseph
Teardrop Pirate

Possibly coming

Postby McTeardrops » Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:46 pm

We're seriously considering coming. We can hit the Good Guys Nationals (Indianapolis) on the way, and include a trip to visit (Lenny's) parents in Connecticut. We've never been that far upstate; the pictures are beautiful! Question: Do the campsites have electric hookups? I assumed so, but you know what happens when you assume!
McTeardrops
(Lenny and Joanne)
Lenny

[email protected]
I've reached the stage, in life, where my foam has more memory than I do!
McTeardrops
The 300 Club

Postby Rick Sheerin » Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:13 pm

McTeardrops- No, the sites don't have electric hook-ups, but thats what camping in the Adirondacks is all about- getting away from it all!! You'll be happy to know that all the restrooms have outlets and there is a shower building :thumbsup:
Rick S
1996 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17ft

Careful with that Axe, Eugene
Rick Sheerin
500 Club

Re: Possibly coming

Postby Joseph » Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:15 pm

McTeardrops wrote:Question: Do the campsites have electric hookups? I assumed so, but you know what happens when you assume!

A good thing you asked, because they don't. Is that a show-stopper for you?

Joseph
Joseph
Teardrop Pirate

Postby McTeardrops » Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:28 pm

Not sure if it's a show-stopper or not. We cook electric (microwave oven and electric skillet). And in this part of the country, AC is mandatory for summer sleeping. (obviously not an issue in the Adirondaks). We have an old 2 burner propane stove. Need to think on this...
Lenny

[email protected]
I've reached the stage, in life, where my foam has more memory than I do!
McTeardrops
The 300 Club

Re: Possibly coming

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:35 pm

Joseph wrote:A good thing you asked, because they don't. Is that a show-stopper for you?

Joseph

I have a Honda 1000i that can be run at prescribed times during the day if I need it.
Anyone else can borrow it if they need power. (if they are close enough to #233)

I assume the chance of needing A/C is lower in the Adirondacks any way. That would be all I would need it for.
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana) Director "Hoosier" chapter
Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby Joseph » Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:43 pm

McTeardrops wrote:We have an old 2 burner propane stove. Need to think on this...

Y'all come! Propane's the only way to cook anyway. :thumbsup:

Joseph
Joseph
Teardrop Pirate

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Fri Dec 29, 2006 4:42 pm

Joseph wrote:Y'all come! Propane's the only way to cook anyway. :thumbsup:

Joseph

I usually use charcoal to cook all of my meals. I do have a propane grill and stove so they might be coming along too.
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby anonymous2 » Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:20 pm

Most people get by on conservative use of their 12V lighting for the 3-4 day stay. A propane powered light{Coleman},and propane heater, Mr Heater Big buddy{yes it may get cold at night,just ask some regulars},and propane stove in our teardrop is all we use. Our Coleman light is sometimes enough heat in our SUV tent to make it just nice on cool nights. Just stock up on those 1# LP canisters. Some use LED lamps for camp lighting.{long battery life}. Never had a need for A/C in the Adirondacks in early June,but there may be a first. Just keep an eye on the advanced weather the week before to know what to bring. First year it was held it was mid 50's daytime,low 40's at night,and rained the whole time. Last year a few showers,daytime was High 60's/Low 70's, Lows high 40's Partly cloudy most of the time. Rain wear should be included.

http://travel.webshots.com/album/375714804oLVQUE

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/551544318MOYgEc

pateardropper
anonymous2
The 300 Club

Postby Finntec » Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:46 pm

For those out-of-staters thinking of attending a gathering in NYS, especially in the ADK's I highly recommend that you read Pateardropper's message. It perfectly describes the weather. To me, AC is almost unthinkable. A little bit of heat would be more of a consideration if anything if you are from the South. We have not needed heat or AC in the TD in NYS.

AC was sure nice in the humidity of Maryland, and one night in Virginia. Two nights out of >50 nights of camping last year with A/C and one with heat.

Oh yeah, did you mention the possibility of mosquitoes & black flys? They can be a weather pattern in the 'dacks.

Let me know, and I can bring an extra coleman stove if someone needs one. Have a Happy New Year -Ray

:campfire:
Former owner of a '05 Homebuilt TD & '87 Scamp
2012 Home built 10' Teardrop.
Finntec
The 300 Club

Postby Rick Sheerin » Sat Dec 30, 2006 6:14 am

To anyone thinking of attending that has never camped in the Adirondacks, don't let talk of rain or bugs scare you off! Just come prepared and you'll have a great time! :thumbsup: More often than not the weather is fine and you just can't beat the scenery. And the blackflies, well, they're just a crapshoot. Sometimes they are there , sometimes they are not. Usually they are gone by late May.
Rick S

Rick Sheerin
500 Club

Postby Kurt (Indiana) » Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:49 am

Rick, I spent my childhood in Western NYS in the southern FingerLakes area of wine country (Hammonsport).

My parents took us camping a lot and several times we were in the Adirondacks, on Tupper, Saranac Lakes and 1000 Islands.

I don't remember the Black Flies but I do remember mosquitoes. :? :(
http://www.4peaks.com/fklycrit.htm

As far as (modern) repellants I have used Ultrathon (cream or spray) and the bugs leave me alone (for the most part).

Maybe , if I use enough Garlic in my cooking, it will help repell them (and not everyone else) :lol:
Last edited by Kurt (Indiana) on Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
CRA2023 Web Site
"Wall of Fame 2011-2021"

Kurt (Indiana)
Donating Member

Postby Rick Sheerin » Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:23 am

Kurt - Black flies and skeeters never bother me, it's those damn deer flies (some call them horseflies) that bother me!:DOH2: Seems like one of them will adopt you for the day and keep buzzing around your head until you're insane! :?
Rick S

Rick Sheerin
500 Club

Postby Finntec » Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:20 am

Hi everyone.
When I brought up the insects I didnt mean to scare anyone, just a friendly reminder of the wildlife... but I forgot about the horseflies. How could I forget about them?

I got a cool Christmas gift this year and I cant wait to use it. Its a ThermaCELL mosquito repellent. A few friends have them and they say it works well in the swamps of NC & GA so its gotta work up here. Right?

Like Rick said, dont let the bugs scare you off, its all part of the fun! -Ray

:thumbsup:
Former owner of a '05 Homebuilt TD & '87 Scamp
2012 Home built 10' Teardrop.
Finntec
The 300 Club

Postby asianflava » Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:00 pm

Rick Sheerin wrote:Kurt - Black flies and skeeters never bother me, it's those damn deer flies (some call them horseflies) that bother me!:DOH2: Seems like one of them will adopt you for the day and keep buzzing around your head until you're insane! :?

When they bite you...It Hurts! Then when you slap them, they shrug it off fly away and come right back.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Northeast