Camping in DC

Northeast Region including New York, Rhode Island, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, West Virginia, Massachusetts & Connecticut - Tearjerkers founder Todd Brunengraber Also New England, New York State, Liberty Bell, and Potomac Basin Chapters of the TearJerkers

Camping in DC

Postby BILLYL » Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:29 pm

One of our issues here in DC Metro area is to find good local camping. The MD State PArks are real nice - but if you are planning a trip to DC try this park out.

http://www.nps.gov/gree/

I have checked it out and you can camp and only be 13 miles to the White House.

Looks like we maybe camping there real soon

Bill
"If your children ever find out how lame you really are, they'll
gonna murder you in your sleep...." Frank Zappa
BILLYL
Donating Member

Postby Gage » Fri May 25, 2007 12:57 am

Thanks for the link Bill. Being from California and never being back there and plan on it next month. I was wondering if there was a campground in or around DC. Don't know for sure when we're going to be traveling through but it will be most likely the last week of June after the 'Pocono Get Away' in PENNSYLVANIA the 22nd thru 24th.

P.S. Do you think we can get in there in mid week without reservations. Don't really know when we'll be getting in there untill next month some time.
Last edited by Gage on Fri May 25, 2007 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Kevin A » Fri May 25, 2007 1:04 am

Bill,
In 1990 I stayed at a KOA in MD, they had a tour bus that took us into DC at night. During the day we drove to a fenced parking lot, paid the daily fee and rode the train into DC. It dropped us off under the Mall adjacent to the Smithsonian. Not sure if that KOA is still there, it was 17 years ago.
"Follow me, I'm right behind you"

ImageImage
Kevin A
The other guy

Postby BILLYL » Fri May 25, 2007 6:10 am

Howdy-

Been out of town.

Gage-

We went and visited the site a week or so ago - checking it for some Scout outings. And it does look like you can drop in during mid week and just leave your payment in the lock box. Seems they have some campsite host and they are some nice people. But reservations would be a better way to go.

Also Maryland has several state parks in the area - you can Little Bennet - a nice campground - about 15 minutes from me. Nothing fancy - but clean and very comfortable. When you get ready to travel let me know - as you are also welcome to come by and setup in the driveway.

Kevin-

There are several private campsites in our area and I belive the KOA near DC is still there. The Metro is a gret way to get around DC. And since there is so much free stuff to do you really want to plan your visit.

Have fun

Bill
"If your children ever find out how lame you really are, they'll
gonna murder you in your sleep...." Frank Zappa
BILLYL
Donating Member

Postby larryl » Fri May 25, 2007 3:24 pm

There is also a very nice National Park, Prince William NPS 35 miles south of DC located in Virginia. Located right off of I95. Great hiking trails.

http://www.nps.gov/prwi

They offer rv and tent sites within the park, and a full service rv park just outside the park.

Larry
larryl
Teardrop Master

Return to Northeast