When should I register in NY?

Northeast Region including New York, Rhode Island, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, West Virginia, Massachusetts & Connecticut - Tearjerkers founder Todd Brunengraber Also New England, New York State, Liberty Bell, and Potomac Basin Chapters of the TearJerkers

When should I register in NY?

Postby Thunderknight » Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:45 pm

I am trying to figure out at one point in my consturction I should register my trailer. I am building on a Harbor Freight frame. In New York, registering that is as easy and taking the supplied certificate of origin with the sales receipt (shows tax paid) to DMV. They give me the plates there with a 10 day temporary inspection. I then need to take it to an inspection station (privately run authorized garages) for inspection within 10 days...basically lights, tires, etc. This is a yearly safety inspection and not part of the registration process.

I am trying to decide if I should register and inspect it (since, technically, that needs to be done within 10 days of registration) as soon as I finish the frame, as soon as I finish the (overhanging floor) or wait until I build the whole thing.

I kind of think maybe after I build the floor, which will hang over the frame about 1 foot on each side. That way in case the inspectors have a problem with that, I'll hear about it then, vs. after the thing is done. Since all I am registering is the frame, I don't know of any problems...but I could be missing something in the law. That way I can mount my lights to the floor frame and be road-ready then (since the lights need to be mounted to inspect it). If I mount them on the HF frame, the floor will be wider than the lights, and they are supposed to be "as far apart as pratical"...so I'm thinking I should install the floor first and then mount them to that.

My main concern is if there is something in the law about permament changes (bolted on in my case) to a trailer frame. I don't know of anything and may just be overly worrysome.
Thunderknight
Teardrop Builder

Postby Salivanto » Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:17 pm

I don't have a clear answer for you, but this was my experience...

I live in Rochester, NY. I wanted to register my trailers before making any modifications. I didn't want anybody asking any questions about the un-finished hole in the side. 8) The inspection process is fairly simple. Basically, they inspect that the lights work right, that you have safety chains, the tires aren't bald, and that there's some spring in your springs. The big thing is the lights. When I had my new trailer inspected, that's all they checked for.

The inspection can be done at many (all?) trailer/RV shops, but typically not at the same kinds of places where you might have your car inspected.

I'd say that it'd be best to register your trailer as soon before you plan to use it as possible. Often-times this means you pay less if you're registering mid-year.

I know some people who never have their trailers inspected since the inspection sticker is not displayed outside of the trailer. They figure it won't be a problem, and for them it hasn't been.... yet. I have two trailers registered, but only one has a current inspection. Then again, I don't have the right size ball for that one trailer. If I need to use that second trailer, I'll drive it in to the RV store without an inspection and get it inspected then. I believe you can always request a 10-day sticker in that circumstance, and if not, I'll take the risk of a one-way trip to the inspectors.
Amike salutas,
Thomas ALEXANDER
www.NightinGael.Net
Salivanto
Teardrop Advisor

Postby brettweir » Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:43 pm

I live in Hudson Falls New York. I have 2 trailers 1 TEAR AND A 4X6 utility I got the utility inspected when I bought it years ago. the tear has never been inspected. Never had a problem, but I do make sure they are safe and legal
brettweir
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Steve Frederick » Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:20 pm

Put the frame together, Take the title documents and your checkbook the DMV. Those building a frame will need a weight ticket from a scale. I register as a utility trailer. They'll give you a tag, and a 10-day inspection sticker. Get it inspected either as a flat trailer, or when done. If you get stopped, the officer will want to see the inspection sticker, (I know this from experience) I've done five this way..no troubles at all!
Blessings, Steve
Adirondacks, Upstate New York
Building Journals
The Shop Manual's 8-years old!! Thank's everyone!
New! 'Rondack Lodge Plans!Order Here!
Steve Frederick
Custom Teardrop Builder

Location: Upstate New York, Adirondacks (Great Sacandaga Lake)

NY State inspection

Postby mary and bob » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:49 am

all NY trailer registrations expire the end of the year. when you renew you're supposed to put in the inspection sticker number from a current sticker. I usually have that but if not I'll leave it blank or write in a number from another valid sticker. they {motor vehicle dept.] could probably catch that now that it's all computerized but would they bother? anyhow, consider when you would want to take the trailer in for inspection, if it's a camper you probably won't want to drag it to an inspection station in the winter so consider doing it in camping season. I think, and should know because I have a NY inspection license, that over 1000 lbs the trailer needs brakes, so I would license it now while the weight is low and get it inspected. I have never been asked to produce an inspection sticker for a trailer. get it done at a small independent shop, they're not as fussy, just make sure the lights work. inspections need to be done once a year. if there is a weight on your paperwork I would register it now or first of Jan. Bob
mary and bob
500 Club

Return to Northeast