newbie from NY with dmv question

Northeast Region including New York, Rhode Island, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, West Virginia, Massachusetts & Connecticut - Tearjerkers founder Todd Brunengraber Also New England, New York State, Liberty Bell, and Potomac Basin Chapters of the TearJerkers

newbie from NY with dmv question

Postby G.Payne » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:47 am

Greetings, my name is Glen and I live in the NYC area. I saw that this question was asked before but while browsing the DMV website I felt a massive headache coming lol. I was just wondering if anyone can explain the registration/inspection process to me? The dmv does a great job confusing people. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Very anxious to make sawdust :D thank you again!

Glen
G.Payne
Teardrop Inspector

Postby EffieRover » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:14 am

NY DMV has a tri-fold brochure explaining everything you need to register a home-built and where to go for regs on stuff like lights and brakes. It&s pretty much a step-by-step. Document number VS-105. Your local office should have one. Hope that helps.
Loy, happy wife to Dan, proud momma to Kiera & Alannah.
http://66shasta.blogspot.com/
EffieRover
Teardrop Master

Postby G.Payne » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:56 am

Great! I will make sure I pick that up. Thank you very much for your help!
Glen :)
G.Payne
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mary and bob » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:48 pm

Glen: The last time I registered a homemade trailer in NY I first had to get it weighed, then DMV assigned me a ID or VIN number which I stamped on the tongue. Inspection is same as a car, take the trailer to an inspection station, they punch out the month on a sticker and some holes across the top to designate it as a trailer and you carry it with the registration. When I registered our 46 Modernistic that I had no paperwork for, but it did have a serial number, the question they asked was "has it been in your possesion for at least one year?" and of course the correct answer is yes. I had already taken it to be weighed at the local transfer station [dump] and had the weight slip from them. It is classified as LT or light trailer and the reg. says it is a 1946 Moder. If you built on a manufactured frame like Harbor Freight then there should be paperwork on it, such as a manufacturers statement of origin. Motor vehicle dept. experience is usually controlled by if you get a cranky clerk or a nice one. Trailer registrations all expire end of December in NY. If your not going to use it til like June you can wait til then to renew and it's cheaper. Cost is prorated through out the year. Bob
mary and bob
500 Club

Postby G.Payne » Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:33 pm

Wow Bob thank you for the detailed information! The DMV loves to explain things so you're left scratching your head.

Angib thank you for sending me the DMV link. I appreciate the help! :)
G.Payne
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Northeast