Adirondack info needed

Northeast Region including New York, Rhode Island, Vermont, New Hampshire, Maine, Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, West Virginia, Massachusetts & Connecticut - Tearjerkers founder Todd Brunengraber Also New England, New York State, Liberty Bell, and Potomac Basin Chapters of the TearJerkers

Adirondack info needed

Postby Tripmaker » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:01 pm

We are heading to the Adirondacks in August and I am looking for any advice you locals might offer. Must see places, do we need camping reservations, out of the way places to visit, places to avoid. I guess just about any advice you might have. We will be starting from Hunter NY as I am meeting a HS friend at his cabin and going north from there. We would prefer not to make reservations if possible and keep a open schedule for about ten days.

I have not been to the Adirondacks since I was about ten years old and went to Indian Lake with my family. I imagine things have changed a bit in the last 50 years but I don't remember much about it other than a few fleeting thoughts.

Thanks for your help.
Jim
Jim

I started with nothing and still have most of it left.
Tripmaker
500 Club

Re: Adirondack info needed

Postby jonw » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:34 pm

The Adirondack museum in Blue Mountain Lake is definitely worth a half day (at least) visit. While you're there you can climb Blue Mountain for a gread mid-Adk view. Other places of interest include Lake Placid olympic sites, Saranac Lake, Old Forge, Speculaltor general store (used to have great selection of Pendleton wear).

Another good climb with a great view is Mt. Ampersand, near middle Saranac Lake.
jonw
Titanium Donating Member

Postby mary and bob » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:19 pm

Donnely's ice cream near Saranac. Home made but only one flavor per day. We went there from Fish Creek Pond campground. Good luck with no campground reservations.
mary and bob
500 Club

Postby Tripmaker » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:19 pm

Thanks Guys. Looked at the museum website and that will be a definite stop.
Jim

I started with nothing and still have most of it left.
Tripmaker
500 Club

Postby rowerwet » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:40 am

Coming in to lake placid don't miss the drive from keene up through the notch next to the cascade lakes with cascade mountain behind them. There is a very small camp ground in between the lakes, the entrance is hard to see and should only be attempted coming down the pass not up. If you have a canoe/kayaks there are plenty of lakes to try out.
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Return to Northeast