South Central visiting Custer State Park Legion Lake

Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, Iowa, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Wyoming & Montana, also Rocky Mountain and Heart of America Chapters of Tearjerkers

South Central visiting Custer State Park Legion Lake

Postby JenH » Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:15 pm

Hello All..
We will be camping at Legion Lake in Custer SP July 14-18.. If any of you are close or just want to venture out and join us. Feel Free to stop by for a chat.
If you live in or are familiar with the area, I would love to hear of any hidden jewels or off the beaten path eateries that warrant a visit.
Thanks and Happy Travels,
JenH
Happy Travels,
JenH
"Not All Who Wander Are Lost.. They are most likely just trying to get away."
AGirsGottaGo.Net
JenH
Teardrop Builder

Re: South Central visiting Custer State Park Legion Lake

Postby Bobcape » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:37 am

I'm really close by in Rapid City. I am in or around CSP very often all year long. It's one of my favorite photo cruise locations. The park gets pretty full in the summer. But most folks don't get out very early. Try to make at least one run on the Wildlife Loop right at sunrise. Much better chance at seeing elk and Big Horn sheep. Lots of antelope this year. You'll want to drive the Needles Highway after you park your TD. If you like to hike, the Harney Peak hike is great. It will take several hours at least. It has the distinction of being the highest point between the Rockies and the Alps. Great views that are worth the hike. I'll post some other suggestions later. Tip - stay away from the buffalo! They have a wide comfort zone and can be grumpy.

Bob
Bobcape
Teardrop Builder

Postby Bobcape » Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:09 am

Found a few more CSP pics.

Harney Peak.

3 weekends ago.

Bob

(Don't know why it's cropping my pics.)
Bobcape
Teardrop Builder

Postby JenH » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:17 pm

Bob,
Thank you sooo much for the tips.. I read this MUCH earlier and meant to reply and well.... I guess I didn't.. :)
We are heading out Sat from Oklahoma and arrive Sunday. I am looking forward to the trip.
I LOOOVVE YOUR pics.. I am excited to take some of my own..
Thanks again!!
Jennifer
Happy Travels,
JenH
AGirsGottaGo.Net
JenH
Teardrop Builder

Postby Bobcape » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:45 pm

NP. Are you staying in the park? Which campsite - East side or West side? Sylvan Lake is another worthy destination. Short day hikes. Lots of rock climbers to watch from there.

Outside of the park is a cool little town called Hill City. On the list of top 20 "Coolest Small Mountain Towns" from Outside magazine. There's a neat resturant there called the Alpine Inn. Long lines after 5:30ish but worth the wait. (Have a beer while you're waiting on the porch.) It's distinction is that the dinner menu only has one item. Period. Bacon wrapped filet mignon, baked potato, wedge of iceberg lettuce, ranch dressing. The only option is large or small. Can't even choose a different dressing. They do one thing and do it great. Their desserts are all made from scratch and deadly. A great place to visit unless you are a vegan!

If you like to hike and don't mind some effort, the Harney Peak hike is great. It might get a little crowded by mid-day. I suggest you start early and take a wind break or sweater with you. It will be 20-25 degrees cooler on top and windy.

Enjoy your trip!

Bob
Bobcape
Teardrop Builder

Postby Bobcape » Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:13 pm

Now I see you're at Legion Lake. Make sure to try the State Game Lodge for dinner one night. Three neat hikes fairly close by are - Grace Coolidge Walk-In, Lover's Leap Trail and the Cathedral Spires Trail. They range from an hour to several hours hike in length. Fairly easy.

We got up to 100 degrees today. So if you're wanting to see animals, I'd suggest heading out not long after sunrise - 5:30 or 6:00.

Bob
Bobcape
Teardrop Builder

Postby JenH » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:27 pm

WOW!!! Thank you sooo much for all the information.. I'll let you know how much we are able to get in!!
TTYS!!
Jen
Happy Travels,
JenH
AGirsGottaGo.Net
JenH
Teardrop Builder

Postby Bobcape » Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:16 pm

How was your trip? Hope to see some pictures if you care to share.

Bob
Bobcape
Teardrop Builder

Postby rockinrobin » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:54 pm

I realize this an old thread. Awesome pictures! Been looking up old stuff on South Dakota, and Custer State Park. Will be there Memorial Day weekend and the week after. Have a reservation at Sylvan Lake campground. Any one want to add anything new that would help a newbie to SD! Thanks Ronnie :)
" It's all good"
rockinrobin
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Bobcape » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:27 pm

Ronnie,
That will be a great time to visit. Expect cool (or cold if you're coming from a warm climate) nights, crowds during the weekend days, very few if any mosquitos and afternoon thunderstorms. Even on MD weekend it will be easy to escape the crowds. Head out early, take a ride on almost any marked FS road and see where it takes you. If you're bringing a dog, CSP requires them on a leash. Don't let them chase wildlife! Hit the Wildlife loop one morning right at sunrise and do the Needles Highway another morning. Here's a teaser for you from last weekend less than 5 miles from the park.

[youtube]http://youtu.be/p56B-kTcwyA[/youtube]

http://youtu.be/p56B-kTcwyA

More later.

Bob

(Hmm ... It's not letting me direct link a YouTube video. You'll have to click to follow it.)
Bobcape
Teardrop Builder

Postby rockinrobin » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:50 pm

Thanks for the tips. Might feel a little cool there, coming from Texas! Ronnie
" It's all good"
rockinrobin
Titanium Donating Member

Postby giesee » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:06 pm

I will be at csp june 26 thru the 30th of june 2016, coming in from iowa, I also have a retro ride tear, hope to meet some other tears while out there, stop in!!!!
Forget the question.... beer is the answer
giesee
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Bobcape » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:09 pm

giesee wrote:I will be at csp june 26 thru the 30th of june 2016, coming in from iowa, I also have a retro ride tear, hope to meet some other tears while out there, stop in!!!!

Cool! You'll have a great time. I wish I could meet up with you. I'd like to see another Retro Ride. But I leave for the Big Horns in WY on June 24th and back on July 3rd. Enjoy your time in the park!

Bob
Bobcape
Teardrop Builder

Return to North Central