Minnesota gathering

Anywhere in the country is fine. Where do you want to camp?

Postby MrBuzz » Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:22 pm

Ok...Whitewater State Park, April 11-13...that's over by Altura, west of Winona...right? I'll get a campsite online or call the park. Anything else I need to know? Is there a bike trail in the area?
As I look out my window at snow that is 3 feet deep I'm not sure about camping in 3 weeks...but how bad could it be?!?!? I'm already excited to get the TD out of the garage :)
I'll be there on Saturday afternoon...sounds like that will work with other people's schedules.
WooHoo, we're goin' campin' !!!
Generic Benroy - built 2007, 4X8, 1175 HF trailer, Structoglass roof and headliner, 12v and 110v electrics with Schumacher charger.
MrBuzz
Teardrop Master

Postby rainman0 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:35 pm

MrBuzz,
The Pine City gathering is May 31st-June 1st.
Read back in the post for where please.

Coreyjhen,
Are you coming to Pine City? I could pick your brain about New Mexico. That is where were going when the weather gets cold.
Ahh come on. ;)
Toby and Sue
The Tearible Two
rainman0
Teardrop Master

Postby kayaklover » Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:40 pm

Hardy campers,

I picked electric sites and these trailers are so small they warm up quick. I camped in Feb and the trailer was nice and warm at night. I also used a heated mattress pad.It was so warm the snow melted off the roof.
The park is known for the trout fishing and great hiking trails , and bird watching more than biking. It is also located just north of an amish community.
A great stop on the way down is The Lark toy museum , its in Kellogg Mn. just off hi. 61 west of the highway (It's marked). It's free and has a great antique toy collection and a very cool carved carousel inside,You can ride a fish, an ostrich, or even an otter. They only charge you if you ride the carousel ( a couple bucks) . They even sell toy teardrop trailers in the gift shop. It's a cute place and well worth the stop.
Lori
Co-Director
St. Croix Tearjerkers
kayaklover
Teardrop Master

Postby Betsey » Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:23 pm

kayaklover wrote:Hardy campers, A great stop on the way down is The Lark toy museum , its in Kellogg Mn. just off hi. 61 west of the highway (It's marked). It's free and has a great antique toy collection and a very cool carved carousel inside,You can ride a fish, an ostrich, or even an otter. They only charge you if you ride the carousel ( a couple bucks) . They even sell toy teardrop trailers in the gift shop. It's a cute place and well worth the stop.

Yep, Lark Toy is a must see!. We happened by there several years ago when they had just begun the carving of the animals for the carousel. It was fun to watch the master carvers and the work is beautiful. The antique toy collection on display belongs to the owner and is pretty impressive. Over the years, we have taken several visitors there and usually stop by about once a year. Even though our kids are pretty much grown (youngest is 16) they still like to take a trip there. Oh, and they have really good ice cream!

I don't think we are going to make reservations for Whitewater...we'll take our chances on a spot...there's a possiblity we might not be able to attend and between the $8.50 reservation fee plus $10 cancellation fee if you cancel less than 14 days ahead, plus forfeiting the first night's campsite fee, $18 - that's a grand total of $36.50 for NOT camping. :shock:

We figured we'd take a chance on getting a spot...it's only 90 minutes away for us, so travel isn't a big deal. Worst case scenerio, we'll just come and visit for Saturday. :thumbsup:

Keep your fingers crossed that the snow keeps melting and the waters don't rise!

Betsey 8)
Betsey
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Claw » Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:56 pm

So it begs the question; if the park is closed due to flooding will the park honor a reservation for another date? This is my first experience with MN State Parks. Come snow or, well maybe not high water, but snow I'm camping. They are calling for 55 tomorrow and then potential snow by Thurs here. But hey its spring and it could be 70 in a couple weeks.

Ya hey, I am thinking it is a safe bet there will be sites avaliable but then I only know a few Minnasotians. ;)
JIM

Think about It!
Claw
500 Club

Postby Betsey » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:26 pm

My understanding is that if the park has to close and you have a reservation, they will honor it for another date...not sure about any refund...as far as the current river/potential for flooding, you can go here to see what's happening with the Whitewater River in the park:

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?wfo=arx&gage=wspm5&view=1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1

This early in the season, the chance of there being sites available the day you want to camp are pretty good. They do have several sites that are "nonreservable" for those of us who like to live life on the edge!

Betsey 8)
Betsey
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby MrBuzz » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:38 pm

Rainman0 - Where is the Pine City gathering going to be?

Kayaklover - you sound like you are very familiar with that Hwy 61 area...I went to high school across the Mississippi from Lark Toys. It's a great area for day trips and quick camping outings. Have you ever been to Stockholm, Wi?

Betsey - I agree...I'll take my chances that there will be no need for reservations and save the $8.50 and possible cancellations charges.
Generic Benroy - built 2007, 4X8, 1175 HF trailer, Structoglass roof and headliner, 12v and 110v electrics with Schumacher charger.
MrBuzz
Teardrop Master

Postby rainman0 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:32 am

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MrBuzz
Jim and anyone else coming to Pine City,
There is no address,s so it does not show up on the mapquest or google. I will get you close and I will have up signs I will also give you my cell #. (cell phone that is). Scared you didn't I?
It is the Pine City exit off 35W (exit169) and 7-8 miles west.
:thumbsup:
Toby and Sue
The Tearible Two
rainman0
Teardrop Master

Postby rainman0 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:36 am

Lori,
The email I sent you finally came back. If you want to pm me, I will try again.Sorry. :(
Toby and Sue
The Tearible Two
rainman0
Teardrop Master

Postby MrBuzz » Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:25 am

Rainman0 - I put that Pine City date on the calendar...I was afraid that weekend was Memorial Day, but as it is it will work out just fine! Is this a local/village campground? Sounds like it will be a fun gathering.
MrBuzz
Teardrop Master

Postby TPMcGinty » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:23 pm

rainman0 wrote:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MrBuzz
Jim and anyone else coming to Pine City,
There is no address,s so it does not show up on the mapquest or google. I will get you close and I will have up signs I will also give you my cell #. (cell phone that is). Scared you didn't I?
It is the Pine City exit off 35W (exit169) and 7-8 miles west.
:thumbsup:

Toby and Sue,

Since I will be coming from the west, I won't be driving on I 35. What road/Highway/County Road is exit 169? Or give me the nearest intersection of roads and I can punch that into my GPS.
Tim

TPMcGinty
Gold Donating Member

Postby MrBuzz » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:29 pm

TPMcGinty - According to Google Maps Hwy 35W exit 169 is Hwy 7 or Pokegama Lake Rd.
When it gets closer we will have to get some more info or a cell# from rainman0. A good looking guy like me wouldn't last 5 minutes if I got lost up in that county!
MrBuzz
Teardrop Master

Postby MrBuzz » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:29 pm

TPMcGinty - According to Google Maps Hwy 35W exit 169 is Hwy 7 or Pokegama Lake Rd.
When it gets closer we will have to get some more info or a cell# from rainman0. A good looking guy like me wouldn't last 5 minutes if I got lost up in that county!
MrBuzz
Teardrop Master

Postby rainman0 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:20 pm

Tim,
The nearest intersection is Auburn Rd and Meadow Lark Curve. The actual town is Grasston.
MrBuzz,
Do you have a name or is it really MrBuzz? :thinking:
The spot is a wooded lot where we usually park our motorhome for the summer. It has electric if people need it, a nice pit toilet, and I am hoping to have a well in by then. Otherwise, people will have to supply their own water.
There will be signs when you get close.
Toby and Sue
The Tearible Two
rainman0
Teardrop Master

Postby TPMcGinty » Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:33 pm

rainman0 wrote:Tim,
The nearest intersection is Auburn Rd and Meadow Lark Curve. The actual town is Grasston.

Thanks! I'll see if my Garmin will accept the intersection. If not I'm sure it will recognize Grasston.
Tim

TPMcGinty
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Suggest a Gathering