Wisconsin's Black River State Forest Camping Trip

Anywhere in the country is fine. Where do you want to camp?

Postby TPMcGinty » Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:40 am

Betsey wrote:It's been awhile since we've camped there...actually it was pre-teardrop. Our kids have camped a lot at Pigeon Creek, but that's non-reservable. Only Castle Mound can be reserved.

We will be heading up that way later today or tomorrow morning. I will check out the possibilities and post what I find out.

Betsey 8)

I liked the East Fork Campground. It might not be reservable but will we have any trouble getting sites on Sunday and Monday night? Also it is near the lake so canoeing, kayaking and fishing will be easier. Let me know what you find out when you go see the campgrounds. If you think the reservable campsites are better then that's great. You are right there and have the best information to make the best decision.
Tim

TPMcGinty
Gold Donating Member

Postby TPMcGinty » Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:16 am

Just to let you know. I checked the online reservation system for the Castle Mound campground (the only one you can reserve) and almost the whole campgrounds is empty, on Sunday the 20th and Monday the 21st of July, except for some of the electric sites (I assume for large RV's). Heck almost the whole campground is empty for this Sunday and Monday nights. I don't think we will have any trouble getting a bunch of sites right next to each other no matter which campground we go to. Now all we have to do is wait for Betsey to check out the campgrounds and tell us which is the best bet. :)
Tim

TPMcGinty
Gold Donating Member

Postby TPMcGinty » Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:05 pm

So Betsey. How did those campgrounds look, or did those strong storms keep you from going out of the house this weekend?
Tim

TPMcGinty
Gold Donating Member

Postby Betsey » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:27 pm

Sorry to take so long in getting back to you. I have been really sick and today was my first day out and about.

Here's the skinny on the campgrounds:

Castle Mound and Pigeon Creek are both very nice. Pigeon Creek is more remote, has water and pit toilets, a lake with a beach, bike and hiking trails. Castle Mound has showers, flush toilets, hiking trails and nice sites. East Fork is right on the Black River and near Lake Arbutus. It has many sites on the banks of the river. It is similar in amenities to Pigeon Creek but way more remote (translated: a bit of a drive to get there.)

We also checked out Lake Wazee County Park & it's campground. It is a very interesting place to visit. Lots of hiking trails (one to the tailings basin and another to the mound), a nice beach, fishing docks, scenic overlooks & a small campground. I would recommend it as a place to visit but to camp in the BRF.

The BRF is very spread out. If you look at a map, you will see the 3 campgrounds are in complete opposite ends of the Forest, with several miles in between.

Any of them would be good choices.

Betsey 8)
Betsey
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby TPMcGinty » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:54 pm

Thanks Betsey for the information! I'm sorry to hear that you have been feeling poorly. I was hoping that one of the campgrounds would stand out as THE ONE to camp at. Anyone have any suggestions? I guess my question is should we start making reservations at Castle Mound Campground or should we take our chances and go to one of the other two more remote campgrounds where you can't make reservations?
Tim

TPMcGinty
Gold Donating Member

Postby Claw » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:56 pm

Tim, You make the call.
I have no need for electric and Pigeon Creek has a few more sites than Castle Mound. Is the vehicle permit that is needed for Castle Mound a WI state park sticker? Is none needed for Pigeon Creek? It does not specify on the site I was looking at:
http://www.blackrivercountry.net/statecampgrounds.php
I wonder if the campgrounds fill-up on the weekend (need for reservations?) as I would probably arrive up there Friday or Saturday and stay through Monday.

Here is a review of Castle Mound
http://www.rvparkreviews.com/regions/Wi ... Falls.html
JIM

Think about It!
Claw
500 Club

Postby TPMcGinty » Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:46 am

Claw wrote:Tim, You make the call.
I have no need for electric and Pigeon Creek has a few more sites than Castle Mound. Is the vehicle permit that is needed for Castle Mound a WI state park sticker? Is none needed for Pigeon Creek? It does not specify on the site I was looking at:
http://www.blackrivercountry.net/statecampgrounds.php
I wonder if the campgrounds fill-up on the weekend (need for reservations?) as I would probably arrive up there Friday or Saturday and stay through Monday.

Here is a review of Castle Mound
http://www.rvparkreviews.com/regions/Wi ... Falls.html

Jim, I just checked the Castle Mound site for this weekend and over half of the camping sites are open and that's for this weekend. My only dilema is I would feel horrible if I made the call to go to one of the unreservable campgrounds and there was nothing open. It would waste everyones time.
Tim

TPMcGinty
Gold Donating Member

Postby TPMcGinty » Wed Jun 11, 2008 4:08 am

OK. I give up! I made the decision! I made reservations for site #31 at the Castle Mound Campground for Sunday night the 20th of July and Monday night the 21st of July. I'd love for any and all of you to join me for camping these nights. Let me know. I'll keep track of who is in which site which night. I'm not even sure if any of this made any sense! :?
Tim

TPMcGinty
Gold Donating Member

Postby Betsey » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:48 am

Claw wrote:Is the vehicle permit that is needed for Castle Mound a WI state park sticker? I wonder if the campgrounds fill-up on the weekend (need for reservations?) as I would probably arrive up there Friday or Saturday and stay through Monday.

Yes, a Wisconsin state park sticker is required for all parts of BRF. Not sure if the campgrounds fill up on weekends.

Betsey 8)
Betsey
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby TPMcGinty » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:56 am

Betsey wrote:
Claw wrote:Is the vehicle permit that is needed for Castle Mound a WI state park sticker? I wonder if the campgrounds fill-up on the weekend (need for reservations?) as I would probably arrive up there Friday or Saturday and stay through Monday.

Yes, a Wisconsin state park sticker is required for all parts of BRF. Not sure if the campgrounds fill up on weekends.

Betsey 8)

I hope they sell them at the campground office. I'd hate to have to drive all the way to Madison to get one.
Tim

TPMcGinty
Gold Donating Member

Postby TPMcGinty » Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:02 pm

Here is the list of people camping at the Black River State Forest Castle Mound Campground:

Tim and Baron - Site 31 - Sunday 20 July and Monday 21 July

Please post when and which camp site when you know, so I can keep this list updated for everyone.
Tim

TPMcGinty
Gold Donating Member

Postby Betsey » Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:20 pm

Tim,

Add Craig & me to the list...we may go out on Saturday instead of Sunday...not sure yet, so we haven't reserved a site.

Also, you can get your sticker at the registration office at the campground. They also have self-registration materials, if no one is in the office. If you want an annual sticker, you can also get it ahead of time.

Betsey 8)
Betsey
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby TPMcGinty » Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:34 pm

Here is the list of people camping at the Black River State Forest Castle Mound Campground:

Tim and Baron - Site 31 - Sunday 20 July and Monday 21 July
Betsey and Craig - Site TBD? - Saturday 19 July (Maybe), Sunday 20 July, and Monday 21 July

Please post when and which camp site when you know, so I can keep this list updated for everyone.
Tim

TPMcGinty
Gold Donating Member

Postby Claw » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:46 pm

Well I am going to live on the edge and not make a reservation. I had everything in the system for site 29 and thought I would save the $10 reservation fee.(extra gas money :D ) My reasoning is; on a Sunday at Wyalusing, on the ridge, there were sites avaliable, so I am gambling there will be a site avaliable at Casle Mound, on a Sunday and hopefully Friday night when I intend to arrive.

So I will be there Tim! Lookin' forward to seeing your TD :thumbsup:

I'm hoping to have a DO chicken recipe perfected by then to share Sunday night.
JIM

Think about It!
Claw
500 Club

Postby Betsey » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:58 pm

Claw wrote:I am gambling there will be a site avaliable at Casle Mound, on a Sunday and hopefully Friday night when I intend to arrive.

If not, you can see if any of the non-reservable ones in Pigeon Creek or East Fork are still available and then move over to Castle Mound on Sunday. Or you are welcome to stay Friday/Saturday in our driveway (we are only 27 miles from Black River) or over at the campground at the shop. There is also Mill Bluff State Park, which is 6 miles east of us. It's a nice little park.

Betsey 8)
Betsey
1000 Club
1000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Suggest a Gathering