New Gathering Off the Grid in No. Calif = update 4/24-26

Anywhere in the country is fine. Where do you want to camp?

New Gathering Off the Grid in No. Calif = update 4/24-26

Postby The Teardrop Nanny » Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:54 am

:D Here's a chance to be involved in a teardrop gathering that will be an original, and one of a kind! You can get in on the ground breaking, literally. Here are the dates to consider saving for this brand new event :
Friday, April 24 through Sunday, April 26, 2009.

Gene and Eddie Barker, long time teardropper Father & Son, have decided to hold a gathering at their place in Southern Humboldt/Northern Mendocino County, California, a small hamlet named Whitethorn. The property is appropriately named the CloudWalker Ranch and is located in the remote hills of northwestern California between the King's Range (an area nicknamed "the Lost Coast ") and Pacific Ocean.

THIS GATHERING WILL BE UNIQUE IN THAT THE LOCATION WILL BE "OFF THE GRID"...
MEANING NO ELECTRICITY AND FLUSH TOILETS.

Eddie & Gene have spent a couple of years getting the property and road prepped for camping in a teardrop and are finishing up clearing spaces for sites. The property is being prepared for campers to use without the amenities you'd normally find in a campground such as showers, toilets, electrical hook-ups. The theme here is TEARDROP HOMESTEADERS and you will be able to spend time on a peaceful location where you use "what you got or what you brought".

I made a visit to the site last Monday to brainstorm with the property owners, Eddie & Gene, and we can really visualize what this gathering could become. Because these guys live off the grid all the time, we'll be preparing some things to share with participants as a lot of time teardropping takes you to locations where you don't have a ready power source. It just so happens that this gathering is scheduled for the same weekend as MY BIRTHDAY, so I'll help kick off the event with Eddie & Gene and celebrate with fellow campers as well. We're in the initial planning stages right now, coordinating and settng-up a gathering that will be as unique as the property it's being held on, and the individuals hosting it. :dancing

I've offered Eddie a place on the Pamplin Grove website to have his own "niche" for the event. He will be posting some more information on this website and others as he narrows down the many ideas and things we discussed to hold a gathering on the property. I know there will be some campers who do not find this kind of rustic camping their cup of tea....but for those who are willing to take the Barkers up on their offer, I think you'll truly enjoy the beauty and quiet grandeur this place exudes.

More to come,
The Teardrop Nanny
Joanie
:R
Last edited by The Teardrop Nanny on Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life's uncertain...eat dessert first. Check out our cooking channel for cast iron:
www.youtube.com/outdoorcastironcook Dean & Joanie, your hosts
The Teardrop Nanny
Teardrop Muse

Postby 4123 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:34 pm

Olga and I can make that. How do we sign up?
~~~Ron & Olga Christianson~~~
http://www.museumphones.com
"Consider It ALL entertainment"
ImageImageImage
The 300 Club

Off the Grid

Postby The Teardrop Nanny » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:30 am

8) Dear Ron & Olga,
I believe you did just sign up!! :lol: More to come later as Eddie is going to be adding on to the website here and at Pamplin Grove.
Thanks for the reply,
Joanie
Life's uncertain...eat dessert first. Check out our cooking channel for cast iron:
The Teardrop Nanny
Teardrop Muse

Postby devigata » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:53 pm

Jealous am I!!!

:(

Fourteen family members camped in two rented RVs (with one tent) at Shelter Cove this past July and it was one of the most beautiful places I've ever, EVER been! Best family reunion evah! Lost Coast/Shelter Cove is directly on the beach, and a tricky drive when you don't know where you are going, especially in a full sized RV. Whitethorn is closer to what some would call "civilization". I adore Humboldt County - it's simply beautiful. Gorgeous, gorgeous country.

Joanie, that's my birthday weekend, too. Wish I could be celebrating with you. Do you mind if there is a tent camper amongst the group? I have a cousin who lives out there and may be interested in checking out teardropping. While we own a tiny trailer, I have been creatively visualizing ownership of a tiny sleeping trailer (cargo conversion?). We might make an IRG or similar gathering yet!
devigata
Donating Member

T& TTT

Postby The Teardrop Nanny » Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:12 pm

The Whitethorn Gathering
Off the Grid and open to all!

We (Eddie/Gene and I ) discussed having the gathering open to anyone with a TD, T&TTT, or enthusiasts of the forementioned. There will probably be some tent campers if our plans to do a "Homesteader Demo/Faire" comes full circle. So, I would say "yes" cuz I may still be in an SST by my birthday weekend. Cathy, I'm a twin, how about you??

TDN :R
The Teardrop Nanny
Teardrop Muse

Re: T& TTT

Postby devigata » Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:27 pm

The Teardrop Nanny wrote:The Whitethorn Gathering
Off the Grid and open to all!

Cathy, I'm a twin, how about you??

Right ON! I've e-mailed the cousin about the gathering and have yet to hear from her. She's in the valley and further south, but may be up for this given our recent vacation.

And no, I'm not a twin. But I AM the oldest! :) My youngest brother/sister are Virgo twins, though. I got to babysit a lot, as they're 8 years my juniors. They're very lucky to still be around to diss me. HA!

Gotta love Taureans! Earth people, we are! FINALLY got to see the redwoods this summer. I'm convinced THAT is where all the fairies live now. I could be there forever. Magical, to say the least.

BTW, What's an SST?
devigata
Donating Member

Postby mandy » Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:49 pm

Oh I wish I could go since I missed IRG. I just love primitive camping. My Grandmother owned a ranch that had no electricity, running water, natural gas. She had lanterns for light, she had us to go get water from the well and she had a wood stove. We would spend the summers with her it was fun, miss those times the most. But I'm going to be way busy at work at that time. :(

Joanie and Cathy have fun for your B-day.

Mandy
The greatest wealth is to live content with little.
~Plato~
mandy
Donating Member

Postby Arne » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:38 pm

would be nice if they could do something like this in the northeast... I don't mind a little simplistic camping.. it can be mentally rewarding...

I have a knoll on my small piece of property... some of my most enjoyable moments are lying up there in my hammock watching the birds flying by and the clouds passing overhead...
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

What's an SST?

Postby The Teardrop Nanny » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:03 pm

In Teardrop Lingo, an SST is a soft sided teardrop.

;) Or, to be polite, it is another name for a tent. :roll:
There's a story behind this acronymn, of course. Sometime when you pull up to swap tales around the campfire, I'll spin that story for ya...

So, how about it folks?? Anyone else that is interested in attending an OFF the Grid Gathering can check back on this thread for more information as it comes to me, I'll post it. Once Eddie & Gene finalize their plans, look for that to be forthcoming as well. Eddie & I just wanted to put the date up for people who are planning far in advance, and those who may want to piggyback on to dates before or after, such as attending two gatherings on consecutive weekends.

Thanks for the input and interest,
Joanie
The Teardrop Nanny
Teardrop Muse

Postby Esteban » Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:26 pm

Joanie, I had a very good time at IRG. 'Twas my first visit to Nor Cal. It was beautiful. Lush. Green. Forested. Flowing rivers. Chilly (brrr). Uncrowded. Fun to camp with and visit the Teardrop Family. The draw is strong to return for a longer visit. Maybe, by April, I'll graduate from a SST to a campable teardrop. Hope to be able to attend.
:)
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Off the Grid

Postby The Teardrop Nanny » Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:45 pm

8) Steve,
Glad you enjoyed the IRG...me too!
The gathering in April 2009 is open to all, even if you don't have a TD. I will say that there are NOT any flush toilets on site, nor will there be any that flush by April. So, for those of you that need to sit upon a "regular" style toilet, you'll have to bring your own portable one or use what will be in place by the gathering.

Joanie
:R
The Teardrop Nanny
Teardrop Muse

I think my TD will be ready by then...

Postby oregonguy » Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:17 pm

My wife and I love off grid camping....That is about the timeframe I am hoping to be done with my new TD...

:awesome:

We have yet to attend any TD Gatherings, maybe this'll be our first.
Check out our Website: www.oregontrailer.net
oregonguy
Teardrop Master

Postby Eunice » Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:16 pm

Joanie
Kenny and I want to be at this one. We take "buggy rides" to the lost coast just for relaxing sightseeing. It is beautiful.
Eunice
former director
Jefferson State Chapter
TearJerkersImage
Eunice
Jefferson State Tearjerker

Postby dreadcptflint » Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:40 pm

Joanie,
I have to ask will there be one of those stylish buildings with a moon on the door? My wife has told me that unless there is at least a pit toliet that she won't go camping. :thinking:

It's a few mountain passes away however I enjoy the more remote settings.

Matt
The quickest way to find me is on my business site. Yes, I do answer questions and provide quotes for free. Find me at: http://www.wenatcheefarmers.com
dreadcptflint
1000 Club
1000 Club

Bathroom Facilities

Postby The Teardrop Nanny » Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:36 am

Regarding the potty talk.....when I visited the property, I suggested to Eddie & Gene that they may want to rent at least one porta-potty for the gathering. I'm sure Eddie could put a moon on a door, but at this time you'd have to bring your own potty chair set-up or use the spot that is being dug out and designated as the latrine area. Because of the remote location/cost, a portable B&B type porta-potty may NOT be able to be hauled in. I cannot confirm that a commercial style "outhouse" will be available at this time.

Joanie

P.S. Eddie & Gene's personal potty is a real gem with double seaters and a view to admire while taking care of business. Perhaps they'd be willing to have you come up the road a ways to take a seat on their throne(s) if you want a plop & drop closed in, but it is one FANCY outhouse.
The Teardrop Nanny
Teardrop Muse

Next

Return to Suggest a Gathering