Red Rock Balloon Rally - Gallup, New Mexico, December 3-4.

Anywhere in the country is fine. Where do you want to camp?

Red Rock Balloon Rally - Gallup, New Mexico, December 3-4.

Postby ABQTurtle » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:19 pm

Red Rock Balloon Rally: Red Rock State Park has sites avaliable for reservation. (505) 722-3839

The Rally is held the first full weekend in December in Red Rock State Park Gallup, New Mexico. 2010 is the 30th year. The Red Rock Balloon Rally organizers tout that they are the "second largest balloon event in the world." Over two hundred balloonists will come to the rally.

During the day Native American vendors will be providing an excellent opportunity to buy high quality Native American arts and crafts direct from the artisans.

What makes this event unusual, is the beauty of the ancient red rocks and the location, right in the heart of the Southwest's "Indian Country."

http://www.redrockballoonrally.com/index.html Balloon Rally Web Site

http://www.ci.gallup.nm.us/rrp/00182_redrock.html Park Web Site
ABQTurtle
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mandy » Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:54 am

That sounds interesting. :thinking: :thumbsup:
The greatest wealth is to live content with little.
~Plato~
mandy
Donating Member

Postby cuyeda » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:55 am

Wow! Thanks for tipping us about the event. A bit of short notice for us to pick up and go. I've always yearned to return to the Kodak Balloon festival there.

Are there any group sites/rates that could be snagged for next year. How close do you live to the balloon festival? We could all camp out on your front yard. :lol:
Why just dance, when you can Salsa!
Cliff & Vanessa
cuyeda
Platinum Donating Member

Postby ABQTurtle » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:17 am

Red Rocks Balloon Rally is the second largest (Around 200 balloons). The Albuquerque Fiesta in October being the largest (600-700 balloons).

This is the 30th year for Red Rocks. If you can not make it this year.... perhaps next year? It is always the first full weekend in December. I can do a check out of the park and conditions this time around.

I had no problem at all getting a reservation (Site 79). And the campground said they had plenty of sites available the weekend of the Rally. Of course she also mentioned the reason that have so many sites available is because it is typically very very cold in Gallup that weekend.
ABQTurtle
Teardrop Inspector

Postby cuyeda » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:26 am

Yep, got a reminder on the calendar set up to check reservations next year. Do post any worthy notes after your camping experience for future reference.
Why just dance, when you can Salsa!
Cliff & Vanessa
cuyeda
Platinum Donating Member

Postby asianflava » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:19 am

That's quite a bit of a drive for us, as I found out. My parents were working on the res near Window Rock. I told them that I'd visit one weekend, I had committed before I saw the distance. It was a long drive for a weekend trip.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Return to Suggest a Gathering