LCG XI - Caney Lakes - Beaver Dam

Texas, New Mexico, Louisiana, Arkansas & Oklahoma

Moderator: 2bits

Re: LCG XI

Postby Nobody » Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:22 am

Day before yesterday Lenora & I drove down to Caney Lakes Rec Area (Beaver Dam NF C/G) to check out the area. As Jack says, it is a really nice campground. Don't believe I've ever seen a nicer National Forest facility. Elect & water at every site, & the two separate toilets (flush w/sink) & total of 4 unisex showers should serve the campsites admirably. I think there were maybe a half dozen sites occupied including the camp host, when we were there. Located in the 'Piney woods' country of North Louisiana on a couple of small lakes, with at least one hiking trail, it shouldn't be subject to closure due to state budgetary problems (Federal is a different story :R ). There are 29 sites total (one [#3 I think] is occupied by camp host) & as Jack mentioned half are reservable & half 'open', (I suppose that means first come first served). All sites are level with paved pads & graveled area, well landscaped with table & fire ring. Reservable & open sites are scattered pretty well throughout the C/G but the one we liked best (#9) is an open site so non-reservable. We're convinced this will be a really nice area for a small gathering. Sites are located far enough apart to provide privacy if that is important to you but also close enough to be neighborly, & are located in 'clusters' with sometime several steps to the next campsite. Looking forward to LCG XI (or whatever we're calling it) in October...

Here's a link to a youtube video of the campground - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YxXSpXcmxA
Harvey -

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Doing the right thing ain't always easy but, . . . it's always right!
Nobody
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mechmagcn » Wed May 04, 2016 6:21 pm

I've got site 17 booked for Fri & Sat nights, see y'all in Oct! 8)
Jeff & Micki
53 F100
Mercedes turbo diesel
Teardrop "finished" as if they ever are
You can never be lost if you don't care where you are going!
mechmagcn
Donating Member

Postby madjack » Thu May 05, 2016 1:44 pm

mechmagcn wrote:I've got site 17 booked for Fri & Sat nights, see y'all in Oct! 8)

...damitman, that is the site Marlene wanted...but that is OK since Gary and I have reserved 15, 16...we'll be neighbors...also because of configuration, these 3 sites will be the general gathering area.

To all others, sites 1,4,5,10,13,19,21,24,26,and 28 are open and reservable, I would act as soon as possible to reserve a site thru recreation.gov or call them at 1-877-444-6777...get 'em while they are open...all other sites are first come, first serve so those wishing to arrive on thur or early fri may wish to claim one of these sites...all sites past 22 do not really have lake view(or none at all) and are VERY PRIVATE...there is another loop(Turtle Slide) which is closed at that time of year...if we have enough demand, I will contact someone about opening that loop for overflow...This a very nice NFS campground so, I have no idea how accommodating they may be...there is only a self-service pay station and a camp host on site...hope to see many friends there :thumbsup:
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Re: LCG XI - Caney Lakes - Beaver Dam

Postby razorback » Fri May 06, 2016 12:36 pm

Macy and I are in site 24. Across from Gary and Trudy. See ya'll there.
Larry
razorback
Super Lifetime Member

Postby madjack » Fri May 06, 2016 7:34 pm

razorback wrote:Macy and I are in site 24. Across from Gary and Trudy. See ya'll there.
Larry

DAYUM, y'all are gonna be back up in the woods...but should be near the second set of bathrooms...irregardless, it is VERY good to hear y''all are gonna make it down...

On another note, I talked to the NFS district office and they indicated, if there was a need,they would open up the Turtle Slide loop especially if we can give them a decent heads up so they can "unwinterize" it......

And, on another note, unlike Bistineau, this lake has water in it...it is an open water(150 acres) lake so those who may wish to bring a canoe or kayak would certainly be welcome to do so.....

madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Nobody » Sat May 07, 2016 1:40 pm

Reserved site # 13 (we ain't superstitious ;) ) this morning, for Thur, Fri, & Sat. It's near the bathrooms which Lenora likes. We'll be in the Casita so that ain't as important as other times. Depending on our situation, we may see if we can reserve Sunday nite also, Been a while since we stayed past Sunday so guess it's about time...
Harvey -

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Doing the right thing ain't always easy but, . . . it's always right!
Nobody
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mechmagcn » Sun May 08, 2016 1:00 pm

I'd like to stay Sun. night, depending on circumstances at the time I may be able to. Having a regular 40 hour a week job for the first time in 25 years is sorta cramping my style. :oops:
Jeff & Micki
53 F100
Mercedes turbo diesel
Teardrop "finished" as if they ever are
You can never be lost if you don't care where you are going!
mechmagcn
Donating Member

Postby caseydog » Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:00 am

madjack wrote:I will be camping on my birthday BUT, after 10 yrs with 6yrs of no water on Lake Bistineau, I wanna camp somewhere else...I am going to check out a NFS campground just north of Minden(no, not Lake Claiborne)...

What? No SweetPea? :oops:

I doubt I'll be able to make it, but if I do, I'll be sure bring a bottle of something for ya', MJ. :wine:

CD
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby madjack » Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:00 am

....sweet pea would love to ha e ya.....so would we...comeondown... 8)
madjack
Site Admin

Postby 2bits » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:00 pm

I watched the you tube video and that looks like a real nice park with some excellent lake views! I wish I could do this one but I'm booked at the Halloween deal.
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby caseydog » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:17 pm

madjack wrote:.
....sweet pea would love to ha e ya.....so would we...comeondown... 8)

I'd love to catch up with you guys, too. If I can make it, it will be one -- maybe two nights.

CD
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby RAYVILLIAN » Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:58 am

Gary and I camped there this past spring on our way home from Beavers Bend. It is a really nice park ....big parking sites. Water in the lake! Trudy
Where ever we raise the hatch is home.
Darn blank states keep getting further away and we keep traveling slower ain't never gona get this map full.
111961Image
RAYVILLIAN
Lifetime member

Postby madjack » Sun Aug 21, 2016 2:44 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YxXSpXcmxA

...you are right Trudy, this is a very nice park for a gathering...a well kept NFS CG with all the standard amenities...sites are spread out with nice privacy(for the most part) between sites and YES, there is and will be water in the lake when we are there...if you watch the video you will see just how nice it is...the teardrop shown is in the site Marlene and I have reserved, the site next has been reserved by Gary and the big blue whale and next is Jeff and(hopefully) Mikki(sp)...these 3 sites are on a very small spur and will be the central gathering site for any group activities(except for breakfast)...there are only 28 sites available with half reservable and half, first come, first served...should be a really great fall gathering. I hope those who can, show up and help me get another year older :FNP
madjack 8)
madjack
Site Admin

Postby 2bits » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:09 am

I was going to reserve 19 just in case and I see on the website that all sites are booked (Or unavailable because they are not bookable) except 1,4 and 26 with 26 being the obvious first choice with Larry and Gary right there. Of course the unreservable sites may be open when you arrive as well. Just a heads up! I left 26 open and didn't reserve it. Going... going....
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby madjack » Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:58 am

...hey Thomas, glad to see we haven't been completely forgotten...keep in mind, half the sites are first come, first served and anyone coming on a Thur or early Fri should have no problem getting one of these sites. Right now, there are 6 of the reservable sites taken by some of us...the others...???...it may be some of us or not...not having any experience with this park and its location in the midst of a National Forest it could be hunters...just dunno. What I do know is those of us that are there will carry on as per usual for us and have bonton roulette so come join us...each and every one.............
madjack 8)
madjack
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to South Central