Caddo Lake State Park Jan 20-22

Texas, New Mexico, Louisiana, Arkansas & Oklahoma

Moderator: 2bits

Caddo Lake State Park Jan 20-22

Postby 2bits » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:33 pm

Jan 21st is my birthday and Woody and I were talking about winter camping and we've been talking about Caddo Lake for a long while so it seemed like a good time to put it on the books.

Since it is January, this one is weather contingent so we will book sites when we get close to the date only if the weather is decent. It's January so reserving at the last minute shouldn't be a problem. The park is down low too which will keep the wind down to a minimum, plus no mosquitoes! We'll see how the weather goes and start reserving if it looks good when we get near.
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Re: Caddo Lake State Park Jan 20-22

Postby madjack » Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:28 am

Thomas, you have made many of my birthday parties so, I owe ya one...I'm down widdit(Marlene sez, assuming electricity is on(lightweight,,,doanchano))...Woodpecker Hollow are all pull thrus(20bux,full hookups), right next to it is Squirrel Haven(15bux, water/electric) they are all back in, with half of them having screened/shuttered shelters(25bux, water/electric))...RVPark Reviews sez Armadillo Run is too near the highway...you may have more relevant info...Accuweather's long range forecast calls for good weather(cold but sunny)....of course, that is more'n a month away so who knows..........
madjack 8)
Lake Bruin SP
St Joseph La
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby hikrynut » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:18 am

Julie and I winter camped last January in 20-30* weather and survived and I've been interested in Caddo Lake as well so I think we'll join ya.
hikrynut
Teardrop Builder

Postby 2bits » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:44 am

Good to hear from yall! I was wondering if doing something in the North and East might bring in you guys! Sound like a good time! Hmm now what camper to bring!
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby 2bits » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:59 am

MJ also thanks for the lowdown on the park, I haven't been there in 10 years. Woodpecker hollow is already full and the other two loops you can't choose from as they lump them together on the reservation site. As we get closer and the weather looks good (or now if people are so inclined) people could send me the full amount in advance and I will reserve all the sites in my name so that way we will all be together except for late bloomers. We'll see how that plays out!! :beer:
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby madjack » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:53 am

T, I figured the pecker wood hollow would be full of sunblocking snowbirds...especially since it is all 50amp, full hookup, pull thru sites(only 8 of 'em anyway)...all the RV reviews said to avoid the armadillos if possible because of traffic noise...if the weather holds like accuweather sez, we will probably be there by Wed and take our chances with the squirrels...look at the map and let me know watcha think.............
...see ya in the funny papers!!!!!!
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby madjack » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:28 pm

I called the SP today and talked to the nice lady...she said all sites in Armadillo Run and Squirrel Haven are available for that weekend(at this time)...St Hwy 43 runs very close to Armadillo Run and has moderate daytime and early evening traffic...not a lot of late night stuff...half of the sites in Squirrel Haven have screen shelters...these shelters have electricity and lights with hooks above the screens on the inside should someone want to hang tarps(and cost 10bux/nite more)...take a look at the pdf map and think about it...Armadillo Run would be more private with a fair bit of hwy noise, Squirrel Haven is a distance from the hwy and would be quieter but the traffic in and out of Woodpecker hollow(8 sites, 2 empty at present) has to pass thru there...........
madjack 8)
madjack
Site Admin

Postby 2bits » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:58 pm

Sounds like the squirrelly area will be the most pleasant area althought not a loop, give and take for both, I'd like the pleasant enviornment. At least they both reserve the same some theres no rush to decide and as always first one there wins!! hah!
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby Bald Cypress » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:45 pm

Since it is only about 45 min. away,I just might make it.
Bald Cypress
Teardrop Builder

Postby madjack » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:59 pm

Bald Cypress wrote:Since it is only about 45 min. away,I just might make it.

...errrr I don't suppose your avatar pic was taken at caddo...hmmmmmmm :thinking: ............... 8)
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Bald Cypress » Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:58 pm

To be totally honest, a rare thing, it was taken on Jeems Bayou which runs into Caddo Lake. So, I guess you could say it was taken on Caddo if you want to pick nits since it is actually the same body of water.
Bald Cypress
Teardrop Builder

Postby Woodyperk6 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:43 am

Thomas, thanks for getting this started. We'll watch the weather & hope for the best. Cold is Ok, rain not so much. We can celebrate your birthday that weekend and Tammy and I will be celebrating 34 years of wedded bliss on the 21st.
Woody & Tammy

One day closer.
Woodyperk6
Platinum Donating Member

Postby 2bits » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:17 am

Sounds like a plan Woody, Its 17 right now and I am hunkered down! Next weekend is supposed to be back in the 50s so you never know what it will be like. My actual birthday is the 21st too on the age of Aquarius year 1969
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Postby terry.mccan414 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:12 am

Wish I would be able to join you all, :cry: but it looks like I'll be working that weekend. Maybe next time. I've had my Teardrop since August and have only camped out twice. Looking forward to getting some good use out of it :lol:
Travel as much as you can, as far as you can, as long as you can. Life's not meant to be lived in one place.
ImageImage
terry.mccan414
Teardrop Inspector

Postby 2bits » Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:44 pm

If the weather even halfway holds out, we'll be in for a nice trip! Over 70 today on Christmas Eve, but it was below 20 5 days ago so it's a crap shoot! 16 sites are still open, I'll reserve mine two weeks out.
Thomas

2bits
2bit Member

Next

Return to South Central