Mordor v5.0 Back to Mordor. June 5-9 2020

Washington, Oregon, Idaho & Alaska

Re: Mordor v5.0 Back to Mordor. June 5-9 2020

Postby Wolffarmer » Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:08 am

Sparksalot wrote:
Wolffarmer wrote:
Photophobic wrote:I like the idea of hitting different spots especially different form what I've seen so far. Do you by chance have a map that shows these?

I have paper ones. I will look online see what I can find

I'm curious about the maps as well, if you have one plotted.

What is "the wall of death"?

Wall of Death. Is what I call a lava flow out there. A big black wall what goes on for miles. Can imagine when it was hot, steaming, gas bleaching, rumbling, slowly consuming all its path. It is a name all my own, I do not know its official name but can be sure it is not as colorful.

I can usually get some freebie maps at the Monument's headquarters but those are not as useful as a BLM map that costs. I have not been able to find where to order them online. In the past I have gotten them at the local BLM offices. Burley and Shoshone Idaho. Probably in the Idaho falls area also. My be hit and miss to find them but they are a good map. I have worn out several.
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Mon Feb 24, 2020 1:04 am

Meeting in Minidoka. After you cross the railroad tracks you will be heading east. in about 100-200 yards take the left fork in the road. in a bit there will be a wide spot between the road and a large lawn/ball field. We can park there and meet up. Minidoka is not so big we will miss each other. Specially any one towing a teardrop or other small trailer.

Have also put these in the first post.
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:18 am

Wall of Death.

I like that. Even though It's flat, there is no piece of geography that is tougher to cross than those semi-recent lava flows.

Randy:

How far north do suppose you might get? There's a little man on my shoulder encouraging me to come in from the north.

I did a bit of Googling on Baker Caves. Here's an archeological paper on the location.

Here's a paste from it:

In this paper, we begin to fill this gap in knowledge with a
study of the bison remains from Baker Cave (comprised of two chambers designated as
10BN154 and 10BN153; Plew et al. 1987), a Late Holocene bison processing site. Baker
Cave sits in large, unvegetated and difficult to traverse lava field almost a half km from
the edge of the flow and the nearest bison forage. This location suggests that carcass
portions were transported a considerable distance across rugged terrain for processing
and consumption. Baker Cave also represents a rare occurrence on the SRP, a site
producing an extensive and well-preserved collection of bison remains. Importantly, this
large sample of prey animals allows us to explore the motivations behind the use of bison
by prehistoric SRP (Snake River Plains) foragers.

https://digitalcommons.usu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=3301&context=etd

:thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Previous

Return to North West