WASHINGTON STATE PATROL, Inspection & Trailer Requireme

Washington, Oregon, Idaho & Alaska

Re: WASHINGTON STATE PATROL, Inspection & Trailer Requireme

Postby halfdome, Danny » Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:29 am

Toyotamike wrote:So even though I have a title, registration and what not since it's a harbor freight trailer, I still need to get it inspected? Just trying to get my ducks in order as I need to renew the tabs for it anyways and might as well do everything needed at once.

halfdome,danny wrote:During his inspection I asked what the state considered a utility trailer converted into a teardrop.
He said that it's no longer a utility trailer but a teardrop travel trailer and if an officer ran the plates and found it was different he'd run the risk of a ticket and a required inspection.
He said it comes under a different classification and needs to be changed to the new classification

:D Danny
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Morris_09 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:18 am

Thanks for sharing. Actually, I have been suggested to hire Palos Verdes property inspection services to inspect my house and trailer. I am wondering if only one person can inspect same. Please help!
Morris_09
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Eulalia » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:46 pm

I am not quite at the point of being ready to get my TD VINed and registered and all that, but I am a little concerned about what components are classified as "Major Component Parts" for a trailer. I pretty much built everything so far, and my only major purchase was the axle. I have receipts for the metal that makes up the frame, since frame is listed on the WSP site. I bought my axle via ebay and either didn't get or have misplaced my packing slip for the axle (it was packaged a little oddly anyway since it's an awkward item to ship). The WSP site says ebay receipts do not count and they need an invoice and packing slip.

Does someone with experience with registering in WA know what I might need? As far as I can tell, the business/ebay seller I bought the axle from is still selling, so I can contact them about getting the info WSP needs if it comes to that. Are they going to make a big deal about this? I want to start sorting this out before it gets to a time crunch, especially dealing with government entities.

Other than the axle receipt, I think I have kept most of my receipts as I go along. Maybe I can inundate them with all the rest and they'll be satisfied. :roll:

*Edit: I should add that I was able to find my confirmation of payment via paypal, and maybe in conjunction with a copy of an invoice from the original seller I will have what they want. I might want to contact the seller and see if they can scan me a copy or something. Normally a business would keep track of that kind of thing.. it hasn't been a year yet since I got the axle.
Never mind the maneuvers, always go straight at 'em. - Horatio Nelson
Eulalia
Donating Member

Postby Vedette » Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:54 am

Good Luck!
Let us know how you make out.
Look forward to meeting you at a North West Gathering tis season! :thumbsup:
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
PS
We are looking to increase our PNW Tear Jerkers Membership Roster if you are interested?? :thinking:
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby Eulalia » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:11 pm

I'm running into several questions regarding L&I inspections for a home built trailer. From the sound of it, if I ever want to sell my trailer, I need to get an L&I insignia, which basically entails becoming a registered manufacturer. Has anybody else dealt with similar stuff for Washington, or have you all just done the WSP inspection? The info page for trailer licensing now has a section that says a camp trailer needs an insignia before they will even do the State Patrol inspection. For Pete's sake, all I have is some 12v lights inside... :NC

Oh, and Vedette, I did join Tear Jerkers NW.
Never mind the maneuvers, always go straight at 'em. - Horatio Nelson
Eulalia
Donating Member

Postby ChefConroy » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:59 am

Eulalia wrote:I'm running into several questions regarding L&I inspections for a home built trailer. From the sound of it, if I ever want to sell my trailer, I need to get an L&I insignia, which basically entails becoming a registered manufacturer. Has anybody else dealt with similar stuff for Washington, or have you all just done the WSP inspection? The info page for trailer licensing now has a section that says a camp trailer needs an insignia before they will even do the State Patrol inspection. For Pete's sake, all I have is some 12v lights inside... :NC

Oh, and Vedette, I did join Tear Jerkers NW.

Between this and the "major components", what did you find out?? What are the major components?
I've just about finished restoring an old camper frame (adding brakes next-week-ish), and will be on to my teardrop build from there.
I've been reviewing WA State Patrol and L&I requirements and came across both these same questions.
ChefConroy
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Louisd75 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:32 pm

Just wanted to update Danny's original link for the state of Washington. I think they've changed the website around since his initial post. Here's a direct link to the homemade trailer requirements for the state of Washington (in .PDF format)

http://www.wsp.wa.gov/traveler/docs/cvd/170_129.pdf
Louisd75
Teardrop Master

Postby halfdome, Danny » Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:42 pm

Thanks for updating.
I've noticed concern about L&I.
The following quote from WSP says:
SPECIAL NOTE REGARDING HOMEMADE CAMP TRAILERS:
 RCW 43.22.350: If you build a camp trailer and want to license it as a Recreational Vehicle
(RV) camp trailer, at the time of inspection you must present a completed Labor & Industries
(L&I) RV inspection with the L&I inspection insignia applied to your camp trailer. Please
contact your local L&I office for information on their inspection process. In addition to the L&I
inspection, you must also present valid release documents for the trailer and/or parts used.
(All documents must meet the requirements listed above under DOCUMENTATION
REQUIRED AT THE TIME OF INSPECTION).

From my take on the wording the word WANT is your deciding factor whether you need to do the L&I inspection or not.
I've never had to do the L&I inspection and if you do register it as an RV you will pay an extra fee each and every year for state dump stations.
My 2013 teardrop was mistakenly listed as a camp trailer by the state and the person at the county said if it doesn't have a bathroom then why pay the extra fees ($15 per year on this one).

My 2015 teardrop title says.
Use: TLR
Model Year: 2015
Make: HMADE
Series/Body: TEARDROP.

Major components include the chassis or material to fabricate the chassis, lumber and plywood, aluminum skins & trim, tires & wheels, fenders & anything else you feel is a major componet.
That pile of cash register receipts are not necessarily what they are looking for, unless they are for a major component.
They also need to see your weight receipt and your temporary operating permit.
Make sure you make personal copies for the receipts you plan on submitting, as some clerks won't make you copies of your receipts to take home, as they want the originals.
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby ChefConroy » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:54 am

halfdome, Danny wrote:Thanks for updating.
I've noticed concern about L&I.
The following quote from WSP says:

Major components include the chassis or material to fabricate the chassis, lumber and plywood, aluminum skins & trim, tires & wheels, fenders & anything else you feel is a major componet.
That pile of cash register receipts are not necessarily what they are looking for, unless they are for a major component.
They also need to see your weight receipt and your temporary operating permit.
Make sure you make personal copies for the receipts you plan on submitting, as some clerks won't make you copies of your receipts to take home, as they want the originals.

Cool. I am still a little tempted to call WSP with this much just to confirm. It makes sense that they just need to see receipts for the actual structure of the vehicle as opposed to EVERYTHING like the receipt for a spool of thread for the curtains.
So I think I'm only missing one receipt thus far, which isn't the end of the word, because it's for plywood, and I'll be buying more down the road anyway.
Now if only I had the name and address of the dude I bought the trailer from. (Apparently, name/phone number/address is important to get when purchasing sh** like this. Whoda thunkit?)

PS I am SO kicking myself for not using the shitty, shitty title I was given as an excuse to say "Oh, no, I bought a homemade teardrop second hand. It's all there!" and avoiding all of this. Which would've worked flawlessly and my supermodel girlfriend and I would be off and camping without a problem [in my head...]
ChefConroy
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Diemjoe » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:31 pm

I just got my TD plate for Washington state yesterday, Here is what I did.

The registration process for a home built trailer in Washington is pretty straight forward but you wouldn’t think so given all the wording that the Washington State website has on how to get it done.

-Weigh the trailer. There is a list of acceptable weigh stations on the Wa DOT website. They will give you a notarized document listing the weight. They were a little confused that I didn’t have a VIN number to put on the form but were good once they found out it was a home built. Cost about $22.

-Visit the Dept of Licensing to have them fill out a form to give to the State Patrol to finish filling out. As an aside, I am not sure if this should have been the first step and the weigh-in the second but neither place seemed to care either way. This visit doesn’t cost anything.

-Inspection. For a homebuilt Trailer frame or an old one without a VIN anymore, you’ll need to visit The State Highway Patrol office where vehicle inspections are performed. They aren’t really checking road worthiness, just making sure none of the parts were stolen. The officer reviews the trailer a little but mostly they want to see receipts for everything you bought and built into the trailer.
The Highway Patrol’s website has a scheduling tool to make an appointment for the VIN review. Getting on the inspection schedule is a little confusing and there are limited spots for a home built trailer inspection so expect a 2 week wait (at least here in Seattle). I brought receipts for the frame steel, axle, lumber, electrical stuff, etc. As much as you can but the major stuff is the most important. I had a slide show of the build progress as additional documentation, but didn’t need it. The overall inspection took almost 2 hours most of it was the VIN Officer filling out paperwork. He didn’t much care about the trailer itself.

The website refers to an inspection at the Labor and Industry Office. When I called the VIN Officer at the State Highway about the overall process he said the L&I inspection wasn’t required unless you want to sell it legally someday. I since learned that an inspection would also be required if I was running gas lines.

-A final visit to the DOL to register it and get the plate. I didn’t need the trailer, just the paperwork from the State Highway Patrol inspections. And the receipts which I was lucky to have a few with me.
The license lady was nice but this was obviously her first homebuilt trailer registration. Lots of questions before she figured out what I was trying to do. The biggest question she asked was what the value of the trailer was. Everybody has high pride of their trailer but this is the place to stow it. Unless you have all the receipts for the value you place on the trailer, go low. I figure it was fair to say my trailer was worth $5000. I only had receipts for $1500. And that was just the big ticket items they looked at. They didn’t factor in all the smaller value receipts and I didn’t have that many. They just added up the big items and said that’s what I paid retail tax on. There was a $3k gap that needed to be charged Washington’s 10% tax on. She was nice and let me revalue it to the value of the receipts I had. Otherwise, I would have had to pay an additional $300. Overall. It took about 45 minutes but I walked out with a plate, Woo Hoo!!!

This process does require towing the trailer around un-registered but I didn't catch the attention of Law enforcement so that wasn't a problem. I have heard that there is a temporary permit available for this process but I didn’t do it. One more beaurocracy line to avoid.
So relatively straight forward with just a couple gotchas. Good Luck
Last edited by Diemjoe on Thu Jun 30, 2016 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don Miller
Seattle
Trippinwithdon.com
Diemjoe
Teardrop Master

Postby 3GKnight » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:39 pm

Wyoming has an awful process. At least for a homemade trailer needing a VIN assigned. It's kind of funny though. There are a lot of steps, but almost none of the gov't employees you work with at each step actually do a complete job. I know, I know....surprising. I probably could have skipped a step or two and not gotten caught. And none of them seemed to care if the trailer was road worthy or not. "It made it here? Then it must be good enough!"

The one employee with the worst attitude had very redeeming cleavage. So it wasn't all bad.

WY trailer classification is by weight. Anything over 1,000 lbs gets a big plate and anything less a small plate. The difference in annual registration is ~$10. I think it mostly has to do with how motorcycles compare to cars, they just lumped trailers in there too.
3GKnight
Donating Member

Postby Levi111 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:23 am

So if your Teardrop in my case is registered in Texas, since its under a certain weight we do not have to have inspections.My question is if traveling through other States that require a inspection would you get a ticket ?
Levi111
Teardrop Inspector

Postby dcoop » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:53 pm

Regarding the L&I inspection, I went crawling through the Washington Administrative Code. I found this section:

WAC 296-150R-0200

Who should obtain recreational vehicle insignia

(1) If you manufacture recreational vehicles to be sold or leased in Washington, you must purchase either a state-plan or self-certified insignia for each vehicle.
(2) Individuals that build recreational vehicles to sell or lease in Washington must purchase an insignia.
(3) If you have a vehicle with either a state-plan or self-certified insignia and you plan to alter or have another person alter it, you must obtain an alteration insignia from us.
Note:
You do not need to purchase our insignia if you manufacture recreational vehicles in Washington for sale outside the state.
[Statutory Authority: RCW 43.22.340 and 43.22.420. WSR 97-16-043, § 296-150R-0200, filed 7/31/97, effective 12/1/97. Statutory Authority: RCW 43.22.340, [43.22.]355, [43.22.]360, [43.22.]432, [43.22.]440 and [43.22.]480. WSR 96-21-146, § 296-150R-0200, filed 10/23/96, effective 11/25/96.]

So it seems that if you are not selling it in Washington, you don't need the L&I insignia or inspection.
dcoop
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Louisd75 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:48 am

Well, I'm finally within a few days of my inspection. I'm still wrapping things up on my build and I realize that not everything will be finished. The things that won't be finished are minor, such as varnish and paint on most of the inside. Outside things will be buttoned up and roadworthy. My paranoia is creeping in and got me wondering, what happens if you fail the inspection? I imagine you have to get reinspected, but do you have to go back into the queue and reserve another spot?

Also, I'm missing one major item receipt for the fenders (assuming the fenders are a major item). Has anyone had to deal with a missing receipt, and if so, how big of a showstopper was it?

Time to get back out into the garage, Thursday is a lot closer than it was last week.
Louisd75
Teardrop Master

Postby ai4kk » Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:01 am

I know this is a few days late and dollars short, but some of us are still figuring this process out. I'm getting ready to move there and build a larger camper to live in while I travelnurse around the PNW.
I think one thing to keep in mind are these words on the WSP site

UNABLE TO PROVIDE AN ACCEPTABLE RELEASE OF INTEREST OR PROOF OF
OWNERSHIP?
 RCW 46.12.560(3): If you are unable to provide an acceptable release of interest or proof of
ownership for the vehicle or major component parts as described above, an inspection will be
completed for ownership-in-doubt purposes as described in RCW 46.12.680 and WAC 308-
56A-210. Ownership-in-doubt means applying for a three-year registration without title; after
three years, a Washington title can be requested.
Gene
ai4kk
Teardrop Advisor

PreviousNext

Return to North West