Wanted: Carpenter/Builder to help finish TearDrop in Seattle

Washington, Oregon, Idaho & Alaska

Wanted: Carpenter/Builder to help finish TearDrop in Seattle

Postby rockinrukes1 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:06 pm

My boyfriend, Rick Gerring, was working on his teardrop up until a few weeks ago when he unexpectedly passed away. Some of you may have seen his earlier posts (under this same name as I have "hacked" his account). He made some progress since his November post and had just finished the electrical. Since he had been a Master Electrician for many years, this is a good thing.

He LOVED his teardrop project and regretted every day that he couldn't work on it. We had planned on going to Yosemite later this year. I am determined to get this project done for him as much as for myself. I am quite handy for a city-dwelling graphic designer -- can saw a straight line and have done a lot of finishing work on house remodeling projects BUT really need some help with this project.

The project is 70% or more complete. I will post some updated photos. We have nearly all the parts to finish it -- doors, trim, sheet metal, etc.

I am looking for someone with some carpenter skills to help with the fabrication of the hatch door.

Also need help getting the trim and sheet aluminum on, and doors and trim -- or at least some guidance as we do have some friends and cousins who also offered to help.

I am committed to this project and learning what I can along the way. I am ready to put in many, many hours of sanding, sealing, puttying finish work as I was slated for in any case. I want to put in my sweat equity, and not have too large of a bill for his estate. (I will cover costs until the estate does.)

I am also in need of some friendly advice. Is there someone in the Seattle area (project is in Shoreline right now) that could advise me even if they did not want to take on this job? Or someone who would like a paying weekend job?

Thank you very much!

Liz Martini -- 206-783-3789
rockinrukes1
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Wanted: Carpenter/Builder to help finish TearDrop in Sea

Postby KennethW » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:39 pm

First, Sorry for you loss.
If I was in the area I would be glad to help you. It would be fun. But I live in MN.
I hope there in a fellow TD builder that would think it would be fun to help you finish your TD.
Maybe try tearjerkers too. But they may want you to go to a gathering, so you can enjoy the camper. I have seen many lady's at gathering with TD they put together themselves . In MN a lady asked for help and a few guys help her finish her's.
Again ,Sorry for your loss.
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby rockinrukes1 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:57 pm

Thank you, Kenneth. Sounds like Minnesota is the place to be! :)
I will cross post to Tearjerkers when I can get registered there. And I would look forward to a one of these get togethers!
Lots to learn... Liz
rockinrukes1
Teardrop Inspector

Postby dales133 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:23 pm

Good luck finding someone to help,im sure there is someone floating around here or knows of someone who could help.
I gladly would but im down under....
Sorry for your loss and i hope you get some enjoyment from finnishing the project and using it
Last edited by dales133 on Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby dogscats » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:13 pm

Sorry for you loss.. If you can not find some to finish , Not all is lost you can find everything on line. After your life gets back on track . Might I input break things down to what you can do in 15 mi. Soon it will be all day long. If you get stuck , Just ask here some will help,
TODAY IS THE OLDEST YOU'VE EVER BEEN,
YET AT THE SAME TIME, THE YOUNGEST YOU'LL EVER BE,,, SO MAKE THE BEST OF IT WHILE YOU CAN, AND ENJOY THIS DAY WHILE IT LASTS
dogscats
Donating Member

Postby pchast » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:46 pm

Sorry for your loss.

Many of the procedures have been rehashed here before. If you
search the forum you should find some direction. I hope someone
nearby will appear to assist you too. Good luck with it and stay in
touch.
:thumbsup:
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:05 pm

Ouch! :thumbdown:

Grief is a black well. Been there. Glad you're going to finish his dream. :thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby KennethW » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:24 pm

dogscats wrote:Sorry for you loss.. If you can not find some to finish , Not all is lost you can find everything on line. After your life gets back on track . Might I input break things down to what you can do in 15 mi. Soon it will be all day long. If you get stuck , Just ask here some will help,

You may be surprised by what you can do,if you try. Just do a little bit at a time. It may not be perfect (no one's is) but it will still be something to be proud of. :thumbsup:
There is a lot of fine people on this site that can steer you in the right direction if you get lost.
KennethW
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Vedette » Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:21 am

Hi Liz
Sorry for your loss!
Thank you for posting on the Forum.
Teardrop people are a wonderful bunch, as you are about to find out! :thinking:
As Director of the PNW Chapter of the Tear Jerkers, I will put the word out to our Chapter members ASAP.
We have members in your area that might be able to help.
I would also like to extend an invitation to you to join our Tear Jerkers Chapter, if you wish to keep the TD and would like to camp with us??
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby rockinrukes1 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:46 pm

Wow. Thank you ALL -- I am really touched by your replies. dales133 - if only I could drive down under!
Dogscats -- good advice about taking it slow. It is in an open carport, and I probably can only work outside for an hour or so at a time yet. Yes, I am a bit of wimp. Probably why God gave me this project, to toughen me up!
Thanks for further encouragement from Peter (Pchast) and KennethW as well!
Vedette -- Brian and Sandy -- thank you! I did get my account activated on tearjerkers (ironically named in my current situation) under the username Liz Martini (real name). I will log in and create profile soon.

It has been a heartbreaking start of the year for me, but I am seeing this trailer is also a real gift as well. I will post more photos, read more threads, study your projects and ask a lot of stupid questions.

Many thanks, again and again. Ricky (the originator and creator, and my profile pic at left) is stoked! :)

Liz
rockinrukes1
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Vedette » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:17 am

Glad to hear you are starting to get feedback.
Today I sent out a notice to the 82 teardrop owners that have chosen to have their names listed in the PNW Tear Jerkers Roster, advising them of your post here on the Forum.
Hope that will help you out in some way. :thinking:
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby Prototear » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:10 am

Hi Liz,
I am so sorry for your loss.

I am in Lake Forest Park near the Shoreline/LFP boundary so depending on where you are In Shoreline, I might be within just a couple miles of you. Unfortunately I don't expect to be able to help with your construction as I have a long way to go on my own build (running 2.5 years so far in spurts) but maybe I could help you figure some things out.

I haven't really connected yet with the Teardrop community in the area but just in reading this forum its evident that there are a number of teardrop builders that are more capable that me in the Seattle area. I suspect there aren't many closer, however. PM me if you'd like to talk sometime!
Steve
First Build: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=57021
Prototear
Silver Donating Member

Postby aflaude » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:13 am

I just found this post. I am retired in Renton and built my teardrop. I have time to help if you are still looking for assistance. I can send pictures of the finished product and some of the people on the form have seen my tear at gatherings if you need references.
aflaude
Teardrop Inspector

Return to North West