No milk, no eggs cake

Recipes that work best for teardroppers

No milk, no eggs cake

Postby Miriam C. » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:47 pm

I have a thing for chocolate cake, so I am looking for a good recipe that doesn't have milk or eggs. Not vegan, just alergic. I have tried flax seed, and the cake slowly falls after a day or so.

secret recipes much appreciated
Miriam
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby rainjer » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:01 pm

Both my kids are alergic to milk & eggs (and other stuff). You may try making a cake mix with soy or rice milk & egg replacer.
rainjer
King Koleman

Re: No milk, no eggs cake

Postby Ira » Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:25 pm

Miriam C. wrote: I have tried flax seed, and the cake slowly falls after a day or so.

Well, just eat the whole thing before a day passes.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Re: No milk, no eggs cake

Postby Miriam C. » Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:33 pm

Ira wrote:
Miriam C. wrote: I have tried flax seed, and the cake slowly falls after a day or so.

Well, just eat the whole thing before a day passes.

:lol: I don't know Ira, that may be a painful as eating eggs.
Thanks both of you. Rainjer, I didn't know they made an egg replacement that didn't have egg in it. Guess I can go shopping and see if it works.
Miriam
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby DRYVEM » Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:26 pm

Miriam,

An old Weight Watchers trick is to use a cake mix, but only add one 12oz. can of diet soda, mix well and bake according to directions on mix. It is really quite good. With a chocolate mix I usually use diet cola or diet Dr. Pepper. If you don't mind the extra sugar, I am sure you can use regular soda.

Barbara
Barbara
Proud owner of a 2010 Martin Built Teardrop
DRYVEM
Lifetime member

Postby kartvines » Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:33 pm

my son is a vegan so instead of an egg we use a banana for each egg that the recipe calls for as an egg substitute, and that works well, can not taste the difference except the cake does not rise, so you have to double the recipe
Image..Image..Image..
Image.
kartvines
500 Club

Postby asianflava » Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:29 pm

Another old Weight Watcher's trick is to sub applesauce for oil.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby sjptak » Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:59 pm

My wife is deathly allergic to eggs. No penicillin, no eggs. She goes into this thing where she can't breathe. I guess she is lucky, because it is only the yolk that she allergic to. In her case, egg beaters and the other substitutes are OK by here.
Stan

A tear drop wannabe but
a reasonably small TTT owner
sjptak
Teardrop Master

Postby asianflava » Tue Jul 25, 2006 8:07 pm

A friend's son is allergic to eggs too. We couldn't figure it out, he would eat ice cream and be fine. Then eat it somewhere else and puke immedtiately. They tested him to find out what to avoid.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:51 pm

Wow, Thanks for all the attention. I wasn't always alergic, I don't think. I ate eggs almost everyday until 1995. I kept getting sick and having real sever pain. Finally I figured out the milk and eggs. Dr's were baffeled so it took a while.

Barbara- I am going to try that tommorow. I think cherry coke would taist yummy with choco. devils food cake. 8) :lol: It's been a chocolate kinda week.

SJPTAK I really wish I could eat eggs again. but the smallest amount hurts and I am not into pain. What kills me is the number of things you can't eat if you don't do eggs and milk. Wonder bread even went back to using milk. Didn't bother to announce it either. :O
Thanks again
Miriam
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby rainjer » Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:14 am

I have had to learn how to read the ingredients on everything we buy at the store. My kids, between the 2 of them, have alergies to milk, eggs, soy, wheat, corn, & peanuts. We have to be very careful wht we buy.
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby Miriam C. » Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:46 am

Rainjer,
Boy, Those could be very dangerous alergies. I truly don't think I should have to read the lable everytime I buy something. I think if they change it they should have to let you know. I walked around in pain for weeks before I noticed the buns said classic. I looked just because my tummy was getting worse. Been buying the same thing for years.
:cry:
Miriam
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Ira » Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:48 am

Miriam, have you checked the ingredients for the ready-made mixes? Putting their directions aside, are all of those ingredients okay with you?

The reason I mention this is that back in the 50s, the very first instant cake mix only required adding water. (It was either Duncan Hines or Betty Crocker.) This is a famous advertising story, but here's the point:

They taste-tested it prior to release, and it was a big hit. However, once released, no one was buying it. They did some market research, and...

It turns out that in the mindset of the 1950s housewife, just adding water to something wasn't considered real "baking," that they weren't properly "taking care" of their family.

So the company just changed the baking directions on the box to include one egg and a cup of milk--and the product flew off the shelves. This supposedly didn't change the taste of the thing at ALL, but that didn't matter.

NOW the ladies were baking.

So what was my point? Oh--try an instant cake mix and omit the egg and milk.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby Miriam C. » Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:56 am

Ira,
You are a darlin. I will try that next. You might be right. I make pancakes without the eggs or milk and they are lighter and better. :thumbsup:
Miriam
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Miriam C. » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:37 am

:applause: :applause: :applause:
Cherry coke and devils food chocolate cake. Yummy, yummy. :P This turned out really good. I left out the oil too. Hope that was right. I bet the water works too. :thinking:

PS= I used Dunkin Hines, it doesn't have anything I can't eat. Pillsbury has milk protein in it.

The cake is a little sweeter than expected so if you don't like that use the diet. And can't taste the cherry coke. :lol:

Thanks so much. My family is so greatfull :lol: I really need my chocolate.
Aunti M
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Next

Return to Recipes by and for teardroppers Cookbook #1