Sugar Free

Recipes that work best for teardroppers

Sugar Free

Postby Paw_Paw_Drew » Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:32 am

Would anyone have some good easy recipes for those of us that don't do sugar. I was looking at a pic of Black Forrest Cake here and liked to went into a coma.

I know we can use splenda to replace sugar when cooking but for those of you that have pigged out on it you know there is a price to pay.

I would also like to see some DO recipes.
Meet you at camp
Paw_Paw_Drew
Teardrop Master

Postby PresTx82 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:02 am

I would also like to see some DO recipes.

There's plenty of DO recipes on this forum. Do a search for them!
Mark
El Paso, Texas
PresTx82
500 Club

Postby apratt » Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:53 am

My wife would use splenda on her cookies and they would mold by the 3rd day!!! :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
Arthur,

ASL spoken here
apratt
Gold Donating Member

Postby Paw_Paw_Drew » Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:10 pm

PresTx82

Perhaps the title did not carry over to my request clear enough. When I said I would like to see more DO recipes I MEANT SUGAR FREE. I have looked through the great recipes and can't wait to try some of them but diabetics sometimes like desert to.
Meet you at camp
Paw_Paw_Drew
Teardrop Master

Postby AmyH » Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:24 pm

Try substituting powdered Stevia extract for the sugar. I have used it successfully in a number of recipes, and it works great. You'll use a lot less stevia compared to sugar, so you'll need to adjust accordingly. I have also used Splenda, but I like the taste of the stevia more.

Amy
Amy
"...follow humbly whereever and to whatever abyss Nature leads, or else you shall learn nothing." T.H. Huxley

Photo Log
Camping Trips with the Tear
AmyH
*The 300 Club

Postby Paw_Paw_Drew » Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:21 pm

I was getting excited about a natural sweetner that did not have sugar in it. I was doing a bit of onlie research about it and not so sure. This may be fine for women but. Please see the line about the mice below.

Below Cut and pasted from oline encyclopedia link

Health concerns and limits on use
A European health study found that stevioside depressed the virility of male mice [1]. It has also been reported that steviol, a breakdown product from stevioside and rebaudiaside (two of the sweet compounds in the stevia leaf) is a mutagen. Although unresolved questions remain concerning whether metabolic processes can produce steviol in animals, let alone in humans, these findings nevertheless prompted the European Commission to ban stevia's use in food in the European Union pending further research. It is also banned in Singapore and Hong Kong [1]. Additional animal tests have shown mixed results in terms of toxicology and adverse effects of stevia extract, with some tests finding steviol to be a weak mutagen while others find no safety issues.

More can be found but this is all I C&P'ed
Meet you at camp
Paw_Paw_Drew
Teardrop Master

Postby Laredo » Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:21 pm

Stay away from that pink stuff. it causes migraines.

I also use brown sugar instead of white. You can cut the amount in half and still get the sweetness, plus you don't lose the water-loving quality of the sugar (Alton Brown considers it a liquid ingredient!)

You can substitute unsweetened apple juice or white grape juice for up to half the sugar in a recipe, or use pureed apples, peaches, apricots or pineapple.
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Return to Recipes by and for teardroppers Cookbook #1