Barbecue cooking question

Recipes that work best for teardroppers

Barbecue cooking question

Postby catrinka » Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:35 am

I know that dutch oven cooking is the big thing here, but has anyone used a portable propane barbecue as an oven? And are there any recipe suggestions out there for it?
catrinka
500 Club

Postby jimqpublic » Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:52 am

I use a Weber Gas-Go Anywhere grill. It's handy and dependable. It makes great chicken and tri-tip. I put my Lodge cast iron griddle on top for great pancakes...

I've tried to use it as an oven but it doesn't work well. The bottom scorches. Since the lid is uninsulated and vented it just doesn't hold the heat in enough to have balanced top/bottom temperatures.

The only thing that I think might work is to use one of those "aircore" double layer cookie sheets to keep the bottom from burning.

Otherwise buy a Fox Hill oven for atop your stove and be done with it. I've heard only good reports about them. http://www.foxhill.net/
Jim
2002 Chalet Arrowhead but always wanted a Teardrop
2 kids and a Dear Wife
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimqpublic
jimqpublic
The 300 Club

Postby apratt » Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:06 am

I have a coleman oven that you put on top of a stove. It works ok, got to really watch it to control the temp. I have only used mine about 6 times so far. I seem to have a problem sorching the bottom a little bit.
Arthur,

ASL spoken here
apratt
Gold Donating Member

Postby JIML1943 » Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:52 am

I was thinking about getting one of the double ovens.Iwas wondering if there is room to put a pie pan upsidedown on the bottom to deflect some of the heat from the burner to help the scortching problem.

:crazy:
Some days all you can do is smile and wait for some kind soul to come along and pull your ass out the bind you've gotten yourself into.

Happy camping Jim & Barbara
JIML1943
Teardrop Master

Postby jimqpublic » Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:59 pm

From what I've read by people who started with the Coleman and upgraded to the Fox Hill- There's no comparison. Coleman is uninsulated and folds (joints=air leaks). Fox Hill is insulated and doesn't fold, so it does a much, much better job of holding a constant temp.

This item might go on my holiday wish list.
Jim
2002 Chalet Arrowhead but always wanted a Teardrop
2 kids and a Dear Wife
http://community.webshots.com/user/jimqpublic
jimqpublic
The 300 Club

Postby mikeschn » Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:04 pm

We used the portable propane barbecue this weekend to grill burgers, melt the cheese, and toast the buns.

I'll bet you could use it as an oven if you did a couple simple mods...

1 - take off the upper grill

2 - put a cast iron grill on top of the grill.. perhaps even put a cast iron pot on top of the grill

But this is just thoughts, unproven concepts. Jim, are you planning on testing the concept and reporting back? 8)

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby madjack » Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:12 pm

I had never heard of the FoxHill ovens...they look to be a really fine camping oven...affordable as well........
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Dave Bob » Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:26 pm

I dont have one but saw this Brinkman oven at walmart for about $50. The clickey is for sportmans guide, they are out of stock but I like the zoom feature. ;)

Dave
Never say "What else could go wrong?"
Because it usually will.
Dave Bob
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:55 pm

Cathy,
Before I got the dutch ovens, before I got the Flamineta and before I got hooked on slow smoke grilling... My kitchen oven went out, so what to do until I could get it fixed or get a new one???
I used the old outdoor propane fired BBQ, even did some baking in it.
(Probably the last time I used that darned thing)
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby Ira » Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:22 pm

Dave Bob wrote:I dont have one but saw this Brinkman oven at walmart for about $50. The clickey is for sportmans guide, they are out of stock but I like the zoom feature. ;)

Dave

I own two of these. And this is a REAL oven:

Why shlep a big box with you that you're just gonna sit on top of a stove that you may be using for other cooking purposes?

This is a two rack oven, with electric starter, two decent sized racks, thermometer, and has its own propane supply? For around 50 bucks.

I'm in the process of converting one of mine into a smoker, to smoke ribs.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Return to Recipes by and for teardroppers Cookbook #1