Serious Dutch Oven help (PLEASE)/Thank you all

Recipes that work best for teardroppers

Postby asianflava » Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:31 am

You can change it up and be international, do doughnuts the first time, beignets the second time, then sopapias after that. Just don't tell them that they are all pretty much the same.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Mary K » Wed Sep 13, 2006 12:36 am

Make ya some po-folk beignets in it too!!! Cut up some canned biscuts, fry till brown and sprinkle on some powered sugar. Easypeasiejapanisy :) Oh Don't forget the chicory coffee, yummmm :D

Mk
Mary K

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. Bilbo Baggins
Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Wed Sep 13, 2006 9:36 am

:duh: I guess living in a modern world will make ya just plain dumb.

We had 48 degrees this morning and I was wishin I could crank up the oven for something besides biscuits and gravy. :duh: :duh: :duh:
I live in a house with a working---wood burning---fireplace. :roll: :oops:

The fire has been going since 7am. The DO has been rotated every hour since then 1/4 turn. There is no smoke in the house and it is warm enough for the baby. :duh: When it gets too warm out I will close the fireplace up and just leave it there. That oughtttttta do it.

Can't believe I didn't remember.

BTW when powdered sugar gets old try mixing some pumpkin pie spice in. Just mix in a shaker bowl and drop them in while hot.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:55 am

Miriam C. wrote::oops: :o
Dean, a little is good a lot is better???

No... A little is good, a lot is just going to drip off, burn up, cause a lot of smoke and give an uneven layer of seasoning.
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby Miriam C. » Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:35 am

Dean in Eureka, CA wrote:
Miriam C. wrote::oops: :o
Dean, a little is good a lot is better???

No... A little is good, a lot is just going to drip off, burn up, cause a lot of smoke and give an uneven layer of seasoning.

An unfortunate not-joke. I over oiled the daylights outta it the first time.

It is beautiful now. :D
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Mary K » Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:09 pm

asianflava wrote:You can change it up and be international, do doughnuts the first time, beignets the second time, then sopapias after that. Just don't tell them that they are all pretty much the same.

Mary K wrote:Make ya some po-folk beignets in it too!!! Cut up some canned biscuts, fry till brown and sprinkle on some powered sugar. Easypeasiejapanisy :) Oh Don't forget the chicory coffee, yummmm :D

Mk

..Asianflava
We must have been typing at the same time. Great minds think alike!!! :lol:
Mary K

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. Bilbo Baggins
Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby asianflava » Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:17 pm

Mary K wrote:
asianflava wrote:You can change it up and be international, do doughnuts the first time, beignets the second time, then sopapias after that. Just don't tell them that they are all pretty much the same.

Mary K wrote:Make ya some po-folk beignets in it too!!! Cut up some canned biscuts, fry till brown and sprinkle on some powered sugar. Easypeasiejapanisy :) Oh Don't forget the chicory coffee, yummmm :D

Mk

..Asianflava
We must have been typing at the same time. Great minds think alike!!! :lol:

:D
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Sun Sep 17, 2006 4:26 pm

I would like to thank you all for helping me with my DO.

The candied yams cooked really good. I got too much liquid in and the pot is way too big, and it's legs are too little but it worked. Trudy coached me through and incuded telling me to put it on the grill so the wind (30mph) would be blocked some.

The marshmellows didn't brown very much because the wind burned the charcoal out too fast. They tried though. ;)

As we were serving I noticed my DO didn't say Lodge. Then I remembered the whim that had me buying something I had heard a lot about but hadn't paid much attention to. About 1999 everyone was saying to buy one. I did. The only one left to be found and it was a knock off. It still cooked the candied yams in 30 minutes without burning. :thumbsup: :applause:

So I'm gonna get another, (good excuse huh) This time not quite so big.

Thanks again (BTW- now smells like cinnamon and wood smoke. Yum)
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Previous

Return to Recipes by and for teardroppers Cookbook #1