need recipe for pot pie

Recipes that work best for teardroppers

need recipe for pot pie

Postby cherokeegeorge » Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:15 am

I need a recipe for chicken pot pie who can help me out? In the dutch oven of course.
George

For info on hitch covers
Teardrophitchcovers.com
cherokeegeorge
A Merkin Indian

Re: need recipe for pot pie

Postby Kevin A » Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:25 am

cherokeegeorge wrote:I need a recipe for chicken pot pie who can help me out? In the dutch oven of course.

Hereya go :thumbsup:
http://papadutch.home.comcast.net/dutch ... potpie.htm

Byrons Dutch Oven Chicken Pot Pie

4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves; diced 2 (10.5 oz.) cans cream of chicken soup
3 Tbs. bacon grease or olive oil 1/2 cup evaporated milk
4 cloves garlic; minced 1 1/2 tsp. poultry seasoning
1 yellow onion; diced 1 Tbs. Worcestershire
4 medium potatoes; diced salt and black pepper to taste
1 (16 oz.) bag frozen mixed vegetables; thawed 1 can refrigerated crescent rolls

Heat a 12" Dutch oven using 20-22 briquettes bottom until hot. To hot oven add bacon grease, chicken and garlic; season with salt and black pepper to taste. Cook chicken stirring frequently until chicken is no longer pink. Add onions and potatoes and continue cooking until onions are translucent but still firm. Stir in mixed vegetables, soup, evaporated milk, poultry seasoning and Worcestershire; season with salt and pepper. Let mixture come to a low boil. Unroll the crescent rolls and create a top crust by layering flat rolls across the top of ingredients.

Reduce the heat on bottom to 8-10 briquettes and add 14-16 briquettes to the lid. Bake for 25-30 minutes until the rolls are golden brown and flaky. Check to make sure potatoes are cooked through. If not, then remove all briquettes from the lid and continue to cook maintaining bottom heat to keep pie bubbling an additional 15 minutes until potatoes are cooked through.

Serves: 6
"Follow me, I'm right behind you"

ImageImage
Kevin A
The other guy

Postby asianflava » Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:06 am

Made a pot pie last week, kinda made up my own recipe from stuff that I had on hand.

I cubed up some cooked chicken breasts that were in the frige
2 cans of cream of chicken soup
1 can or cream of mushroom soup
1 bag of frozen mixed veg

Put it all in the 12in DO.

I let it simmer for about 30min then I put the Crescent rolls on top. Till they were golden brown.

It was missing something, I think it would have tasted better if I bought a rotisserie chicken and stripped off the meat. Oh well, the chicken breasts were left overs from something else. Next time, I'll try the rotisserie chicken, I'll also try using biscuits on top instead of the crescent rolls.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Sun Oct 01, 2006 5:30 am

I found this recipe on the web that looks pretty good...

http://papadutch.home.comcast.net/dutch ... potpie.htm

Byrons Dutch Oven Chicken Pot Pie

4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves; diced 2 (10.5 oz.) cans cream of chicken soup
3 Tbs. bacon grease or olive oil 1/2 cup evaporated milk
4 cloves garlic; minced 1 1/2 tsp. poultry seasoning
1 yellow onion; diced 1 Tbs. Worcestershire
4 medium potatoes; diced salt and black pepper to taste
1 (16 oz.) bag frozen mixed vegetables; thawed 1 can refrigerated crescent rolls

Heat a 12" Dutch oven using 20-22 briquettes bottom until hot. To hot oven add bacon grease, chicken and garlic; season with salt and black pepper to taste. Cook chicken stirring frequently until chicken is no longer pink. Add onions and potatoes and continue cooking until onions are translucent but still firm. Stir in mixed vegetables, soup, evaporated milk, poultry seasoning and Worcestershire; season with salt and pepper. Let mixture come to a low boil. Unroll the crescent rolls and create a top crust by layering flat rolls across the top of ingredients.

Reduce the heat on bottom to 8-10 briquettes and add 14-16 briquettes to the lid. Bake for 25-30 minutes until the rolls are golden brown and flaky. Check to make sure potatoes are cooked through. If not, then remove all briquettes from the lid and continue to cook maintaining bottom heat to keep pie bubbling an additional 15 minutes until potatoes are cooked through.

Serves: 6
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby cherokeegeorge » Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:55 pm

thanks guys I'll give it a try.
George

For info on hitch covers
Teardrophitchcovers.com
cherokeegeorge
A Merkin Indian

Postby Laredo » Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:11 pm

Chicken pie
How this works I don't know, but it does. Get two of those packets of bisquick mix for garlic-cheese biscuits; turn them out together in a big mixing bowl and mix into them a half teaspoon each of rubbed sage, crushed thyme and white pepper; add 3 tbsp stone-ground cornmeal, 1 cup milk, and 1 beaten egg. Mix well; cover; set aside.

Prepare chicken and vegetables:
Thoroughly rinse six large chicken leg quarters, then cover with water in a deep saucepan to which you have added 1 teaspoon onion powder and 1/2 teaspoon celery salt. Bring to a boil, then drain and rinse thoroughly, discarding water. Return chicken to pan. Cover with fresh water; add 1/2 cup diced onion, 1/2 cup diced celery, 1/2 teaspoon minced roast garlic, six stems fresh rosemary, 2 oz lemon juice and 1 tablespoon coarse ground pepper. Bring to boil (yes, 2nd time!) and cook 5 minutes. Cover and let stand 15 minutes.

In separate dish drain and mix vegetables: 1 large can baby sweet peas with mushrooms and pearl onions, 1 small can sliced mushrooms, 1 small can green beans, and 2 cans diced new potatoes. Discard liquid; season with salt and freshly-ground pepper.

While it's standing grease a 14'' skillet thoroughly and pour in your crust, spreading it thinly all the way out to the edges and 1/3'' up the sides.

Spread seasoned drained vegetables over crust. Remove chicken from broth, reserving broth; spoon drained onions and celery over vegetables. Skin and debone chicken; shred meat with fingers, spreading over vegetables.

Discard bones, skin, garlic and rosemary stems. Bake skillet and contents at 375 F for 35-40 minutes.

Return broth to pan and bring to boil; thicken with 1 tablespoon cornstarch dissolved in 1 tablespoon cold water. Reserve.

Remove skillet from oven, rest 5 minutes, slice pie and serve with sauce.

It isn't a gooey, runny pot-pie -- it's more like a stuffed popover. But I like it.
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby Steve Frederick » Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:02 pm

I broke in my new 12" Lodge today, with some Chicken Goop-Slop..Not Chicken Pot Pie, but, just as good..Easy too!
Take 5 boneless chicken thighs, cut in half, sprinkle with season-salt, and pepper.
Dredge in flour.
Brown in a little veg oil. Over 20 coals..(I guessed)
When both sides are brown, cover in 2 cans of Cream of Chicken Soup, mixed with one can of milk.
Add 1 bag frozen peas/carrots, or mixed veggies.
Bring to a low boil over coals, minus a few to reduce the heat to simmer.
Simmer for 15-20 minutes.
Top with refrigerated biscuits.
Place 18 coals on top, Bake 'till biscuits are golden..
We like thighs 'cause they don't get dry like breasts can, also less expensive!
Blessings, Steve
Adirondacks, Upstate New York
Building Journals
The Shop Manual's 8-years old!! Thank's everyone!
New! 'Rondack Lodge Plans!Order Here!
Steve Frederick
Custom Teardrop Builder

Location: Upstate New York, Adirondacks (Great Sacandaga Lake)

Postby Kevin A » Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:08 pm

Steve,

That one looks GOOD, I'm gonna have to try that one....
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
"Follow me, I'm right behind you"

ImageImage
Kevin A
The other guy

Postby Steve Frederick » Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:10 pm

Thanks Kevin!
When Phyll makes it on the stove, she makes dumplings...Too much for my first try, so I did the biscuits!
Blessings, Steve
Building Journals
Steve Frederick
Custom Teardrop Builder

Postby asianflava » Mon Oct 02, 2006 12:18 am

OK, here's the one I did.
BTW: Yes, I do take a picture of all my DO concoctions. What can I say, the novelty hasn't worn off.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Steve Frederick » Mon Oct 02, 2006 6:20 am

asianflava wrote:OK, here's the one I did.
BTW: Yes, I do take a picture of all my DO concoctions. What can I say, the novelty hasn't worn off.

When the novelty wears off, it won't be fun anymore..kind of like work!! :lol:

Rocky, How did you get the pie to stay in that shape while cooking?? :?
Blessings, Steve
Building Journals
Steve Frederick
Custom Teardrop Builder

Pot Pie

Postby The Teardrop Nanny » Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:37 pm

8) Hey George,

You do know why they call it Chicken POT pie, right??

I thought you might.... :lol:

xoxo TDN
Life's uncertain...eat dessert first. Check out our cooking channel for cast iron:
www.youtube.com/outdoorcastironcook Dean & Joanie, your hosts
The Teardrop Nanny
Teardrop Muse

Postby Joanne » Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:13 pm

Of course he could be like me and not have the novelty wear off, then he's really in trouble. Next thing you know he'll be going to Dutch Oven Gatherings and asking little kids to contribute their allowance so he can buy just one more piece of cast iron. Addiction is a horrible thing! :lol:

Joanne

Steve Frederick wrote:
asianflava wrote:OK, here's the one I did.

When the novelty wears off, it won't be fun anymore..kind of like work!! :lol:

Rocky, How did you get the pie to stay in that shape while cooking?? :?
New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Postby Joanne » Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:17 pm

Steve,

I like your version of the pot pie with the biscuits on top. Similarly, I use refrigerator cinnamon rolls on top of my peach cobbler. It's quick, easy, and tastes really good. Especially when I drizzle the frosting over the top.

Joanne
New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Postby asianflava » Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:36 am

Joanne wrote: Next thing you know he'll be going to Dutch Oven Gatherings

The Lone Star Dutch Oven Society has a local chapter near me. They have potlucks at a park about 15miles from my house. Haven't made it over there yet, I need more practice.

Tonight I made a practice corn bread, I made a sweet one. I had a problem though; when I picked up the oven to turn it, the coals underneath weren't ashed over (just a couple spots). I guess they weren't ready when I put them under there. I put more coals underneath and increased the cook time. In the end, the flavor was good but it was a little overcooked. Next time, I'll try the sour cream trick to keep it moist.

I also made a dish that my mom used to make. It is called "Bibingka" It is a sweet dessert dish. It's made with Rice flour and coconut milk. I thought it wasn't cooked all the way thru but I remembered that I usually had it cold. When it is hot, it is still soft in the middle. It is like a cross between rice pudding and bread pudding. It tastes like rice pudding but it has the texture of a smooth bread pudding. I'm happy with the way it turned out. Oh yeah, I did take pics but I haven't uploaded them yet.

This is the recpie that I used. It says a "block" of butter but I think it is supposed to be a "Stick" of butter.
http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,1713,158 ... 04,00.html
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Next

Return to Recipes by and for teardroppers Cookbook #1