I wasn't going to cook..... BUT

Recipes that work best for teardroppers

I wasn't going to cook..... BUT

Postby wolfix » Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:00 am

When I decided I wanted a TD and I started looking into what design I wanted I was sure of one thing ....... It would not have a galley designed around a kitchen....... I was going to have a micro-wave ,a teapot for my ground coffee beans, and a fridge for frosty cold ones...... That was going to be it!!!!!!!!

I cook all the time at home. Everytime I go on a trip I end being the cook..... So , I decided going places in the TD was a vacation, and I was going to make it a vacation.

But following posts here on the forum made me curious about DO's. So I went to the Lodge website to see what they had to offer. Ok, I do cook at home with cast iron, but the website had so many interesting products.

So I am going to challenge myself to learn the DO. I am also going to invest in the groil they have. This one.......Image

Has anyone had any experience with this grill? And if you have , do you think it would heat up enough to lay the Lodge Griddle on it over the coals and get enough heat to grill veggies?

What I am attempting is to use just the DO, the Grill, and the round griddle on one of the DO tables for all my cooking.

Any suggestions? :tipsy:Image
"I am the guy our parents warned us about."
wolfix
Teardrop Master

Postby asianflava » Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:43 am

I've never used the Lodge grill but it looks like a cast iron Hibachi. I used a Hibachi a lot in college. It probably will heat up a griddle but you will have to experiment with the amount of coals. It will probably take quite a few to get it nice and hot.

Check around before you buy, prices vary quite a bit for the same item.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

LODGE

Postby CPASPARKS » Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:56 am

Wolf,
I was looking Saturday at the Lodge Hibachi/Grill this Saturday when I was at our local Atwoods (Like a Tractor Supply Store)...The price was $69.95...about 30.00 less than I have seen on most websites.
I would love to have one...but my galley is already tricked out and I absolutely have no more room... :)
Kevin
CPASPARKS
The 300 Club

Postby Ma3tt » Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:06 am

Personally I would go with a large pan instead of that round griddle, you can cook more stuff in the pan and you can still do pancakes etc. As for the grill I think I would get frustrated with inconsitant heat and time to get some coffee going! I like propane for my fire source. Just one mans opinion.
Be Good
1967 Siesta del Sobrino "Standy"
If you lived here... you would be home by now.
http://www.Camp-Cook.com
Ma3tt
Dutch Oven GURU

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Mon Oct 09, 2006 2:17 pm

Wolfix,
I've ran the gamit on what my galley will have and I've stumbled upon the cast iron thing during the proccess.
My second build will have a two burner propane cast iron stove, a homemade insulated ice box and a pull out steel cooking table for the dutch ovens.
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby wolfix » Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:14 pm

Ma3tt , I think your right about the deeper fry pan instead of the flat griddle..... The only thing I use the flat Lodge for around here is heating tortilla shells. As for coffee..That is a whole subject upon it's self. I will have flame for coffee..... I have a small backpack stove I use for my hot water. I use the bean grinder, then the French press for my coffee.

Dean ..... I found what you wrote interesting. The more I read the posts in this forum , the more I get the impression "ice boxes" are the way to go instead of fridge's. Even when electricity is available. But it makes sense.

I just want to keep my cooking equipment down to a minimum. But that DO cooking process just looks like so much fun.

:picnic:
"I am the guy our parents warned us about."
wolfix
Teardrop Master

Postby asianflava » Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:46 pm

Dean in Eureka, CA wrote:My second build will have a two burner propane cast iron stove, ......

Are you pullin a Chris on us?
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:50 pm

asianflava wrote:Are you pullin a Chris on us?

No... Thought you knew me better than that.
My cast ironing got ahead of my teardropping, that's all...
Gotta use all that pre cast iron stuff in the first galley. (Microwave, Flamineta, Sink, etc.) :R

Wolfix,
Oh Yaa... Started out with plans to use 12-24 dc/110ac refer unit and graduated to an ice box... Thankfully, hadn't bought the refer yet for build number one.
The whole proccess was kinda like going from "bells & whistles to practicality...
We're on the same page as far as coffee goes too... bean grinder and french press... Good and thick!!! :thumbsup:
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby bledsoe3 » Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:22 pm

Dean, now don't get ahead of yourself. Finish build one first, then think about #2. If you show up to the Dam Gathering is a SST you'll never live it down. :lol:
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Joanne » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:04 pm

Hi Dean,

I have to laugh just a little. The cast iron has certainly changed the way I cook while camping. Although I've always enjoyed camp cooking, I enjoy it so much more now. Fortunately I was into the iron before I started to design my galley. Plus I don't do much campground camping so no fancy galley for me. I wanted work surface more than anything else so I can do my prep work before getting down to some serious DO cookin'.

Joanne

Dean in Eureka, CA wrote:
asianflava wrote:Are you pullin a Chris on us?

No... Thought you knew me better than that.
My cast ironing got ahead of my teardropping, that's all...
Gotta use all that pre cast iron stuff in the first galley. (Microwave, Flamineta, Sink, etc.) :R

Wolfix,
Oh Yaa... Started out with plans to use 12-24 dc/110ac refer unit and graduated to an ice box... Thankfully, hadn't bought the refer yet for build number one.
The whole proccess was kinda like going from "bells & whistles to practicality...
We're on the same page as far as coffee goes too... bean grinder and french press... Good and thick!!! :thumbsup:
New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Return to Recipes by and for teardroppers Cookbook #1