La Caja China - pig roaster

Recipes that work best for teardroppers

La Caja China - pig roaster

Postby Jotul40 » Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:24 am

Has anyone had any experience with this type of pig roaster...
http://www.lacajachina.com/

My 40th is coming up next summer and I want to have a big blow-out and roast some piggy!

BTW... I am a big fan of Camp Chef products. I have the Yukon stove, griddle, BBQ box and their Ultimate Roaster. :twisted:
Jotul40
Teardrop Inspector

Postby SkipperSue » Sun Nov 19, 2006 11:55 am

I've never seen anything like that before. The pig sure looks good cooking on it. (it's almost 12 noon and I haven't had anything to eat yet, I'm starving!) :R
Skipper
SkipperSue
Gold Donating Member

Postby madjack » Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:27 pm

...I have used them on several occasions...down thisaway we call them Cajun Microwaves ...they work very well but I miss the smoke flavor that is imparted by cooking over an open fire...and regardless of what they say, there is a definite cleanup factor involved in their usage...the traditonal way here in Louisiana is the Cochon de Lait ...this method has a much better flavor....
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby jayb » Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:40 pm

In Florida there are two ways to roast a pig in the Latin tradition. First is to dig a pit and bury the pig. Second is the caja china. I prefer the pit method. It's one less thing around the old homestead that requires maintenance. Either way they come out tasty.

The cajas I have seen are home made. They are very popular in Tampa and Miami. That is the first "store bought" one I've seen.

Use lots of Mojo and garlic! Serve Yucca, Black Beans, Rice, and plenty of good Cuban bread.

Proper drinks to serve would be Hatuey (Cuban Beer), Mojitos, and Cuba Libres. Shoot! What time is dinner? I'll bring the drinks! (wink)
jayb
Teardrop Inspector

I Like It!

Postby Jotul40 » Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:48 pm

madjack wrote:...I have used them on several occasions...down thisaway we call them Cajun Microwaves ...they work very well but I miss the smoke flavor that is imparted by cooking over an open fire...and regardless of what they say, there is a definite cleanup factor involved in their usage...the traditonal way here in Louisiana is the Cochon de Lait ...this method has a much better flavor....
madjack 8)

I love the idea of the shed! Definitely have to try that one. As for the clean up factor... I mentioned I have a Camp Chef Ultimate Roaster... that is the only thing I hate about it... the clean up... as a matter of fact, I just remebered I still have to clean it from this past Thanksgiving turkey... ah, only six weeks old now.
Jotul40
Teardrop Inspector

CARNITAS

Postby Jotul40 » Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:55 pm

jayb wrote:In Florida there are two ways to roast a pig in the Latin tradition. First is to dig a pit and bury the pig. Second is the caja china. I prefer the pit method. It's one less thing around the old homestead that requires maintenance. Either way they come out tasty.

The cajas I have seen are home made. They are very popular in Tampa and Miami. That is the first "store bought" one I've seen.

Use lots of Mojo and garlic! Serve Yucca, Black Beans, Rice, and plenty of good Cuban bread.

Proper drinks to serve would be Hatuey (Cuban Beer), Mojitos, and Cuba Libres. Shoot! What time is dinner? I'll bring the drinks! (wink)

Another incredibly tastey item out there... Carnitas... I never thought of deep frying pork butts but man-o-man what a taste!

Try this one out... just watch out for the hot splattering lard factor...
http://www.bbqjunkie.com/archives/2006/04/17/carnitas/
Jotul40
Teardrop Inspector

Postby jayb » Sun Nov 19, 2006 4:30 pm

To paraphrase Homer Simpson, "Carnitas....mmmmmmmmm." A southwest treat for sure.

Until recently the Latin cuisine in Tampa was mainly Cuban and Spanish. We are now starting to see additional influences from Mexico and Puerto Rico. There has been a marvelous infusion of Caribbean and South American flavors too.

Sorry, I start talking about food and tend to get carried away.

J
jayb
Teardrop Inspector

Postby asianflava » Sun Nov 19, 2006 6:42 pm

jayb wrote:To paraphrase Homer Simpson, "Carnitas....mmmmmmmmm." A southwest treat for sure.

Until recently the Latin cuisine in Tampa was mainly Cuban and Spanish. We are now starting to see additional influences from Mexico and Puerto Rico. There has been a marvelous infusion of Caribbean and South American flavors too.

Sorry, I start talking about food and tend to get carried away.

J

Mmmmmmmm Pork products! It's funny that you should mention that. I'm making Jerk pork and piegon peas with rice (in the DO) tomorrow. I'll be marinading the meat tonight.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby jayb » Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:10 pm

asianflave wrote:Mmmmmmmm Pork products! It's funny that you should mention that. I'm making Jerk pork and piegon peas with rice (in the DO) tomorrow. I'll be marinading the meat tonight.

I'll bring the Red Stripe and Appleton.
jayb
Teardrop Inspector

Postby asianflava » Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:16 pm

jayb wrote:I'll bring the Red Stripe and Appleton.

It's BEER Mon!

Actually I got some Cola Champaign. It's a really sweet soda that Jamacians drink "with patty" (beef patty), it's almost like cream soda.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby jayb » Sun Nov 19, 2006 7:41 pm

It's a popular drink throughout the islands and S.A. I've tried two, Goya and D&G (D&G is the Jamaican version). Very refreshing and quite tasty.
jayb
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Recipes by and for teardroppers Cookbook #1