Mexican Tingas this weekend...?

Recipes that work best for teardroppers

Mexican Tingas this weekend...?

Postby mikeschn » Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:47 am

Chell would like to have Mexican Tinga's this weekend. Does any one have a good recipe AND a photo? Laredo? Anyone?

Thanks,

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby SteveH » Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:39 am

Well, Mike, I was born, raised, and lived all my life within a hundred or so miles of Mexico, and I don't know what Mexican Tinga is. Maybe y'all have a different name up there? :thinking:
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby RAYVILLIAN » Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:23 pm

Here you go Mike I did a Google this is for chicken but I bet Turkey would work.

http://www.astray.com/recipes/?show=Tin ... ken%20hash

Send me some if it's good.

Gary
Where ever we raise the hatch is home.
Darn blank states keep getting further away and we keep traveling slower ain't never gona get this map full.
111961Image
RAYVILLIAN
Lifetime member

Postby mikeschn » Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:03 pm

This is the closest picture I can find...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby asianflava » Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:18 pm

Never heard of it either.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Thu Nov 23, 2006 5:26 pm

Chell says it's shreded pork, rolled up in a shell and deep fried... sorry, my photo wasn't very good.

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Kevin A » Thu Nov 23, 2006 5:37 pm

http://www.mexgrocer.com/102-porktaquitos.html
Recipe Ingredients:

10 -12 Mission® Corn Tortillas
1 1/2 Tbsp. Vegetable Oil
1/2 cup Onions diced
2-3 Serrano Chiles minced
1/2 lb. cooked Pork shredded
1 large Tomato peeled, seeded and chopped
Guacamole for dipping
Vegetable Oil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe Instructions:

1. Saute onion in oil until soft. Stir in chilies and shredded pork, cook until meat is hot. Stir in tomato, cook 1 minute.
2. Brush tortillas lightly with vegetable oil. Heat in microwave or in oven. Place 1 tablespoon filling in a narrow strip 1 inch from the edge of each tortilla. Roll up tightly. Fasten in center with a wooden pick.
3. Pour oil 1/2 inch deep into a medium skillet. Oil must be hot enough for tacos to sizzle when you place them into the skillet. Fry several taquitos at a time until crisp. Drain on paper towels. Remove wooden picks.
4. Serve immediately with guacamole for dipping. Taquitos may be cut in half for easier dipping.
5. To freeze: refrigerate taquitos about 1 hour after frying. Wrap 10-12 taquitos in heavy foil or freezer wrap. Store in freezer and use within 2 months.
6. To serve frozen taquitos, remove from freezer, unwrap and place in a baking dish. Cover lightly with foil. Bake in preheated 350 degree F oven 20-30 minutes, or until heated through.

Enjoy this delicious pork taquitos with guacamole Mexican recipe!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Follow me, I'm right behind you"

ImageImage
Kevin A
The other guy

Postby mikeschn » Thu Nov 23, 2006 5:42 pm

Kevin,

Chell says, that's it... :? Then where does the name "Tinga" come from? :?

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Laredo » Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:01 pm

Try this one, Mike:

(I cheat: for chipotle puree I buy a can of chipotles in adobo sauce, and spin the whole thing in the blender until it's smooth. Store in the fridge in a recycled mayo jar or squeeze bottle. You can also buy really good Bufalo brand chipotle hot sauce in most grocery stores. For this you'd need about 1 1/2 TBSP of that) If you don't want to grill the meat you can use leftover roasted chicken or turkey, shredded with your fingers.
Nice variation on this theme is to cook a brisket or boston-butt pork roast and use some of the leftovers, finely shredded, in place of the poultry; put a generous smear of sour cream on a warm flour tortilla, add a scoop of filling, sprinkle on some shredded cheddar and serve ...

2 tablespoon Fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon flavorful olive oil
1 teaspoon garlic salt
4 Chicken thighs; skinned
4 Chicken breast halves; skinned
1 tablespoon oil for sauteing
2 cup Chopped onions
4 Garlic cloves; minced
¼ pounds Bulk Mexican chorizo sausage
2 pounds tomatoes; peeled, seeded and chopped
½ cup Tomato puree (like Pomi)
2 tablespoon Chipotle puree (see note)
1 Bay leaf
1 teaspoon Dried oregano
1 tablespoon Brown sugar
½ teaspoon Salt (up to 1)
4 Red-skinned new potatoes; diced
1 Avocado; pitted, peeled and sliced
Tinga is wonderful as a warming stew or a filling for burritos, empanadas or tortas (Mexican sandwiches). The flavors improve and intensify with time, making this the perfect make-ahead dish.

INSTRUCTIONS: Blend together lime juice, olive oil and garlic salt. Rub on chicken pieces. Grill over medium-hot coals or under a medium broiler. Cook breasts for about 10 minutes per side; thighs for about 15 minutes per side. Tip: If you are in a hurry, you can cheat by buying a grilled chicken -- preferably from a Mexican deli. The chicken will finish cooking in the sauce where it will absorb all the delicious flavors.

Heat oil in a large skillet. Add onions; saute until softened. Add garlic; saute for a minute or two longer. Remove onions from pan and reserve. Add chorizo to pan; saute until browned. Using paper towels, blot as much fat as possible from pan. Return onions to pan. Add tomatoes, then stir in tomato puree, chipotle, bay leaf, oregano, brown sugar and salt. Simmer for 20 to 30 minutes.

Cut grilled chicken meat off bones; add to simmering sauce along with diced potatoes. Simmer for 15 minutes, until potatoes are tender and flavors come together. Serve garnished with avocado slices and lots of warm corn tortillas.

Note: To make chipotle puree from the softer, freshly smoked chipotles, cut chiles open and scrape out seeds. Place 6 chipotles in a blender with about 1/4 cup water, or just enough to facilitate blending; process until smooth. Serves 4.

PER SERVING: 580 calories, 50 g protein, 50 g carbohydrate, 22 g fat (4 g saturated), 133 mg cholesterol, 1084 mg sodium, 6 g fiber.
Originally Posted to CHILE-HEADS DIGEST V4 #134 by Leslie Duncan <[email protected]> on Sep 24, 1997
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby sdtripper2 » Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:17 pm

Tinga

A Mexican meat dish that is made with pork and sausage, slowly cooked in a spicy chile sauce and then served in a traditional food wrap such as a tostada, a tortilla or a taco shell. Typical ingredients include cubed pork shoulder or loin, chorizo sausage, tomatoes, chipotle chiles, onions, and garlic.

I would take some pork and slow cook it in a DO or a crock
use the chipotles in adobo sauce
Chile sauce
Chorizo sausage
Tomatoes
onions
Garlic
Dried oregano

For serving wrap:
What is a Mexican meal without Tortilla's to wrap it up
You could roll um to make taquitos and fry them
You could have a tostada = flat
You could make a burrito
You could make a taco

For serving condiments:
Maybe have some lettuce
Mexican three cheese grated cheese
Salsa
fresh lime juice squeezed makes Mexican food real
Cilantro
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country
is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards." -------Theodore Roosevelt

Steve
sdtripper2
Search Garoux

Postby Laredo » Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:56 pm

Tinga -- for the tingle on your tongue?

Because they have a slow-building, deep-smoked heat ...
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Return to Recipes by and for teardroppers Cookbook #1