New iron

Recipes that work best for teardroppers

New iron

Postby DRYVEM » Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:11 pm

Went to Sportsmans Warehouse today and got a new piece of iron. Here are some pics. The second pic is the pan leaning up against the 20" DO.

Barbara
Barbara
Proud owner of a 2010 Martin Built Teardrop
DRYVEM
Lifetime member

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:47 pm

:awesome:
Barbara,
Who makes that 20"er???
That looks great at the bottom of a stack and would be great for doing large volumes of food. :twisted:
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby DRYVEM » Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:34 pm

Dean in Eureka, CA wrote::awesome:
Barbara,
Who makes that 20"er???
That looks great at the bottom of a stack and would be great for doing large volumes of food. :twisted:

Dean, I purchased it from Cabela's. $99.00 plus shipping. Box looked very similar to Camp Chef. so I am guessing it is made by CC for Cabela's. Haven't had the opportunity to use it yet. Need a large group to feed.

Barbara
Barbara
Proud owner of a 2010 Martin Built Teardrop
DRYVEM
Lifetime member

Postby bledsoe3 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:47 am

DRYVEM wrote:Haven't had the opportunity to use it yet. Need a large group to feed.
Barbara

Are you going to the Dam Gathering? :twisted:
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:44 am

Only if I get my tear weatherproof by then... Oh wait, you weren't asking me. :lol:
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby bledsoe3 » Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:01 am

Dean in Eureka, CA wrote:Only if I get my tear weatherproof by then... Oh wait, you weren't asking me. :lol:

You can come too.

You have lots of "iron". :lol:
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Laredo » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:50 pm

That's a biscuit oven!!!

Here -- you're gonna need this recipe .... it's for a 14'', but 'twill do.

Ranch Rolls
This dough may be refrigerated for three or four days so that you can make as many or as few rolls as you need.

5 cups all-purpose flour
2 (2-ounce) cake yeast or six ¼-ounce packets dry yeast
½ cup sugar
½ cup vegetable oil
2 cups buttermilk
½ cup warm water
½ teaspoon soda
1 Tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 450°F. (For a DO, Dean, what should the numbers be on a 14'' and a 20" oven?)

Dissolve yeast in warm water; let stand 10 minutes. Mix all dry ingredients. Add yeast mixture, oil, and buttermilk. Stir with wooden spoon. Turn onto floured surface, and knead lightly. Roll out, and cut into 2-inch rolls. Generously oil top and bottom of rolls. Bake in 2- to 3-inch deep pan 12 to 15 minutes until golden. Yield: 3 dozen rolls; unused dough may be refrigerated and used as needed.

TIP: Wooden spoons are preferred—buy the heaviest you can find—because you don’t have to worry about them scratching stainless bowls or cast iron skillets.

From Barbecue, Biscuits, and Beans: Chuck Wagon Cooking by Bill Cauble and Cliff Teinert, Bright Sky Press 2002, Albany, Texas www.brightskypress.com.

From the same source:
Sourdough Biscuits

This recipe was passed along by Richard Bolt—cook at the famous Pitchfork Ranch for more than 40 years. Richard knew more about the old ways of cooking than just about anyone. He even wrote his own cookbook: 40 Years Behind the Lid.

4 cups Sourdough Starter
4 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
1 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons sugar
3 teaspoons, heaping, baking powder
½ cup shortening

Preheat oven to 350°F. In a large bowl, form a nest or hollow in 4 cups of flour. Pour 4 cups of Sourdough Starter into hollow. Add salt, sugar, baking powder, and shortening. Mix well to form soft dough. Pinch off in balls the size of an egg, and place in well-greased 14-inch Dutch bread oven or skillet—cast-iron containers give the best results. Grease tops of biscuits gener-ously. Set them in a warm place to rise for 5 to 10 minutes before baking. Bake for 30 minutes or until nicely browned. The closer the biscuits are crowded in the pan, the higher they will rise. When cooking in a covered Dutch oven over coals, consistent heat for baking sourdough biscuits is very important. Beware of wind and drafts that can result in uneven heat. Yield: 30 biscuits.

I'm fixin' to get you the recipe for the fruited version -- which is ranch cake.

Here ...
Fruited Sourdough Rolls

Sourdough lends itself well to sweet breads. Chuck Wagon cooks typically used dried or canned fruits or whatever they found along the trail. We use whatever’s in season or what we find in the pantry.

1 recipe Sourdough Biscuits (recipe below)
1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
2 cups dried apricots, boiled in a little water until soft
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
Vegetable oil

Preheat oven to 400°F. Roll sourdough out on well-floured surface until it is about 18 to 20 inches long and 8 to 10 inches wide. Quarter butter lengthwise. Place quarter cuts of butter end to end the length of dough, about 1- inch from edge nearest to you. Repeat placing the butter quarters just past the middle of the dough. Spread apricots on each side of both rows of butter. Sprinkle first row of quartered butter as guide. (This gets easier after doing several times.) Cut with a sharp knife into 1-inch rolls. Carefully oil both sides, or cut rolls, and place in nonstick, large, deep baking pan or 16-inch Dutch oven. Pat down as you would sourdough rolls. Cook 20 to 25 minutes. Mix confectioners’ sugar with 1 tablespoon water until smooth. Pour over rolls when removed from oven. Let rest 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 12 to 14 rolls

I have had these gentlemen cooks' sourdough and ranch breads at the Cowboy Symposium ('s in my hometown, and its THE highlight of the year for me!) and I can tell you that there is nothing like them anywhere.

Here is a Texas Highways Cookbook starter that uses the same ingredients as the Richard Bolt starter Teinert & Cauble recommend:

In a clean gallon crock jar place 2 pints warm water
Dissolve 2 tablespoons of sugar in water
Dissolve 1 cake Fleischmann's yeast in water
Let proof; when bubbling, stir in 4 cups sifted white flour
Add 1 raw Irish potato (washed but not peeled), quartered

Cover with a close-fitting lid and let the starter rise until light (12 hours in warm weather, longer in cool weather). Do not let the starter get cold, ever. After using part of the starter, add 1 cup warm water, 2 teaspoons sugar, and enough flour to mix to the starter's original consistency. Add more potato occasionally as food for the yeast, but don't add more yeast. Use daily for best results. Starter improves with age.

You'll need to replace the potato once in awhile, and keep the starter fed; don't ever let it get cold (below 45 degrees F will kill it), and unless you really want to remodel your kitchen, don't leave it out on the counter in the summer overnight ... it'll grow right up out of the crock and take over.
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Basic Refrigerator Roll Dough Recipe

Postby sdtripper2 » Thu May 31, 2007 8:59 pm

Basic Refrigerator Roll Dough Recipe
by GMarmory

1 package active dry yeast
1 1/2 cups war water (105 to 115 degrees)
1 cup unseasoned lukewarm mashed potatoes (we use instant)
2/3 cup sugar
2/3 cup shortening (you can use Crisco ... or we use liquid oil in a pinch)
2 eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
6 to 7 cups all-purpose flour

Dissolve yeast in warm water in large bowl. Stir in potatoes, sugar, shortening, eggs, salt and 3 cups of the flour. Beat until smooth. Mix in enough remaining flour to make dough easy to handle. Turn dough onto lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Place in greased bowl; turn greased side up. Cover bowl tightly; refrigerate at least 8 hours but no longer than 5 days (we have gone 7). When you are ready to fix rolls ... pull off as much as you want and shape.

The cinnamon rolls are 1/2 of the dough, 2 tablespoons margarine or butter, softened
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

Roll the dough out like you were making a pie crust ... about 1/4 inch thick. Spread the butter evenly on the dough ... mix the sugars and spices together and evenly sprinkle over the butter. Roll the dough into jellyroll and slice about 1/4 to 1/2 inch slices and place into a greased pan. Bake about 20-25 minutes in a dutch oven (or 375 degree oven). We used a 12 inch dutch oven and put 10 on the bottom and about 16 on the top.
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country
is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards." -------Theodore Roosevelt

Steve
sdtripper2
Search Garoux

Return to Recipes by and for teardroppers Cookbook #1