Easy recipe - easy clean up

Recipes that work best for teardroppers

Easy recipe - easy clean up

Postby agileaction » Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:14 pm

Here's one of my favorite recipes, and it's a snap to make for camping. You do all prep ahead of time. It's a great summer time meal.

In a large Zip-loc bag (or two or three, depending upon how many you are feeding), put baby spinach leaves, shelled sunflower seeds, dried cranberries and shredded chicken breasts (you can even use the chunk chicken in a can, or the Tyson chicken in the deli section - more expensive that way, but whatever works for you). Bring along a small tub of crumbled feta and a bottle of any raspberry vinagrette off the shelf - even low fat, or non-fat, if you choose to go that route.

Before serving, dump your feta into your Zip-loc bag with all the other goodies, and add your dressing. Close the bag, toss it all together, and serve it. If you use paper plates, the only thing you have to clean up is your silver/plastic wear, and at that, it's only a fork/person.

It's really good, light, and tastes great in the summer.

Enjoy...

Leslie (who is also a gourmet cook as well as an incredible dog trainer) ;)
agileaction
Donating Member

Re: Easy recipe - easy clean up

Postby bobhenry » Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:29 pm

agileaction wrote:Here's one of my favorite recipes, and it's a snap to make for camping. You do all prep ahead of time. It's a great summer time meal.

In a large Zip-loc bag (or two or three, depending upon how many you are feeding), put baby spinach leaves, shelled sunflower seeds, dried cranberries and shredded chicken breasts (you can even use the chunk chicken in a can, or the Tyson chicken in the deli section - more expensive that way, but whatever works for you). Bring along a small tub of crumbled feta and a bottle of any raspberry vinagrette off the shelf - even low fat, or non-fat, if you choose to go that route.

Before serving, dump your feta into your Zip-loc bag with all the other goodies, and add your dressing. Close the bag, toss it all together, and serve it. If you use paper plates, the only thing you have to clean up is your silver/plastic wear, and at that, it's only a fork/person.

It's really good, light, and tastes great in the summer.

Enjoy...

Leslie (who is also a gourmet cook as well as an incredible dog trainer) ;)

In those imortal words by Clara Peller " WHERE'S THE BEEF "
Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Re: Easy recipe - easy clean up

Postby agileaction » Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:48 pm

The meat comes in the form of breakfast...steak and eggs, minus the eggs, plus potatoes! Husband likes those, and I do the potatoes ahead of time, too. He BBQ's the steaks, and I heat/season the potatoes. Yum...!
agileaction
Donating Member

Postby Ira » Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:39 pm

This recipe shows me the vast divide between New York/Floridian culinary preferences and Oregon.

SUNFLOWER SEEDS!?

My BIRDS eat that crap!!!
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:48 pm

Ira wrote:SUNFLOWER SEEDS!?

Yaa... and how long do African Greys live?... :o
Does it bother you in the least that your bird is gonna outlive you by at least three fold??? :lol:
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby Ira » Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:49 pm

Dean in Eureka, CA wrote:
Ira wrote:SUNFLOWER SEEDS!?

Yaa... and how long do African Greys live?... :o
Does it bother you in the least that your bird is gonna outlive you by at least three fold??? :lol:

Thanks for remembering that I have an African Grey.

BUT...I beg to differ about the nutritional qualities of sunflower seeds:

They are the absolute WORST thing you can feed a bird. Too much fat, and birds get what's called Fatty Liver Disease. 90% of the domesticated cockatiels and larger parrots dropping dead in the world today are meeting their maker because they're fed sunflower seeds.

Yeah, it's easy for the owner...it's the major ingredient in most commercial feeds...but it is BAD for birds in the quanitities that most birds receive of it.

Greys are a little different in enjoying a varied diet without much coaxing, and mine gets some commercial mix (a little), but the majority of his diet is...and get ready...

Balanced feed pellets, steak, chicken wings (yes), pasta, chicken hearts, tuna, fruits and vegetables like rice, corn, beets--ANYTHING in the fruit and vegetable family--and basically, anything that we as a family eat.

Sunflower seeds shouldn't be more than 5%, 10% of the entire diet.

And oh--he LOVES Budweiser!!!

----------------------------------------

Edit:

I'm now patting myself on the back for submitting the stupidest, most off-topic post ever.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby Gaelen » Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:59 pm

Ira wrote:I'm now patting myself on the back for submitting the stupidest, most off-topic post ever.

Ira, you *do* have a gift, y'know?

That said, I actually like the recipe posted--and have made it with grilled salmon or tuna in place of the chicken, fried tofu in packages from the Asian grocery, and sometimes I toss in macadamia nuts.

But hey, it's good with grilled steak or pork, too. ;)

Gaelen, who sometimes doesn't feel like cooking at the end of a long day at a dog show--but who is always up for the cheesecake tasting contest ;)
Gaelen
2006-2011: '79 SunLine Sun Spot
now: '05 Finntec homebuilt teardrop
My blogs: Life Out Loud, Kitchen Jam and Dog Trainer's Log.
Syracuse Dog Training and @gaelen2 on Twitter
Gaelen
500 Club

Return to Recipes by and for teardroppers Cookbook #1