Ft. Wayne, Indiana Barbecue

Recipes that work best for teardroppers

Ft. Wayne, Indiana Barbecue

Postby Ira » Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:46 am

Any one know this guy featured here, Chuck Wagon Barbecue? (Click on "Video" to see the story.)

http://www.indianasnewscenter.com/Story ... oryID=5249
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby IndyTom » Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:41 am

MAN! doesn't city hall have enough important things to do rather than harrass a man just trying to earn a living. :x

I grew up in Mississippi, I was nearly grown before I knew you could cook barbeque anywhere BUT outside.

I'm only two hours from Ft. Wayne, if I can find the time this weekend, I will go up there and eat just to support the guy.

Tom
Never trust a skinny cook

My build thread:http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36226

IndyTom
500 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:52 am

:o So rodents and insects have agreed with the health department to ignore the delicious smells for 10 days a month. HELLO! This is the stupidest thing I have heard lately. (Yes I used the S word) this woman needs to get a life. I bet she goes out and harrasses a new business every year so she can keep her job and get fun money.
:thumbdown:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby IndyCubby » Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:44 pm

:roll:

The last time I checked, smoke keeps insects away...and I would venture to say that rats and other rodents would be scared of it too. Seems like his BBQ business is doing the community a favor if you ask me! My guess is that some racist neighbor has friends at the health department.

Rediculous.
4x8 Cubby
"Finished" October, 2005
Gone, but not forgotten!
IndyCubby
Teardrop Master

Postby Ira » Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:49 pm

We had a guy in Ft. Lauderdale who for YEARS served Q like this. I've heard the history, but he "went under" shortly after I moved here.

You could smell that great stuff a mile away as soon as you got off of I-95, and the health department was ALSO always busting his ass. But, he was a minister, he only set up like Wednesday, Friday and Saturday, and the money basically went to the church. So the powers that be had a little PR problem on their hands.

Oh, don't get me wrong--they still hassled him at every turn, but if the guy WASN'T a minister, he would be doing TIME now.

He died, the son took over, but he basically sold out:

He wanted nothing to do with working so hard to help OTHERS.
Last edited by Ira on Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby Ira » Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:51 pm

IndyCubby wrote: My guess is that some racist neighbor has friends at the health department.

Hey, you think like me--I wouldn't doubt that for a second.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:16 pm

Yeap... Somebody opposed to his barbequeing has a friend in a higher place.
That is the most absurd thing I've ever heard...
We have two local restaurants, with perminant outdoor grills, plus a couple of mobile guys that move their opperations from place to place.
Heck, I've even considered doing something like that myself a time or two... The idea of a mobile setup sounds pretty good to me, wouldn't have to be a full time job that way...
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby Ira » Thu Feb 22, 2007 2:37 pm

This is the B-B-Q site I go to where I learned about this.

If you guys want to learn the REAL way to make this stuff, this is the place to visit. The site doesn't get the kind of activity we do here, but half of these guys are the real Q pros who own restaurants and compete.

http://www.barbecuenews.com/forum/forum.asp?FORUM_ID=9
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby wolfix » Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:29 pm

It was probably a competitor...... I worked for a man that was so petty he would stare at the place across the street and tell everyone that the place was going out of business....
He would call city council on a daily basis to report every infraction, even though our place had every infraction known to man.......
He went out of business......And no one cared...

However, this man that has the BBQ should have investigated a way to legally open his place without having the hassle.There are ways around everything......
He knew where this would go.........
"I am the guy our parents warned us about."
wolfix
Teardrop Master

Postby Woodbutcher » Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:27 pm

It's another case of pin head local goverment drones. They have no clue what it's like to work for yourself. To them it seems almost foolish. It is so much more comfortable to sit behind a desk preaching from the letter of the law. There are no gray areas and certainly no common sense anywhere in site.
I have run my businesses in several Chicago suburbs. These are the kind of things that don't surprise me at all. This man may very well lose his business over this and everyone in city hall will blame him.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby caseydog » Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:12 pm

IndyCubby wrote::roll:

The last time I checked, smoke keeps insects away...and I would venture to say that rats and other rodents would be scared of it too. Seems like his BBQ business is doing the community a favor if you ask me! My guess is that some racist neighbor has friends at the health department.

Rediculous.

Actually, when I smoke in my yard, I draw a yard full of flies. I have to hang flypaper strips to keep them under control.

No rodents, though. They only become a problem if you don't clean up after smoking.

I would expect there are more insect and rodents drawn to restaurant dumpsters than an outdoor smoker, though.

CD

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Ira » Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:59 pm

caseydog wrote:Actually, when I smoke in my yard, I draw a yard full of flies.

Same here--but I just thought my ribs were SO good that all the flies come for a taste. Also, I notice more flies with my beef than pork.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Return to Recipes by and for teardroppers Cookbook #1