Greens to go with that "Q"

Recipes that work best for teardroppers

Greens to go with that "Q"

Postby Joanne » Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:55 pm

I always love greens when I hit the local BBQ joint. Most places around here boil theirs but I wanted to try to something different. When I heard that you can cook greens in a skillet I was ready to see what I could come up with. Like most of what I cook, this is simple and quick (and really tasty too).

Joanne’s Greens

bag mixed greens
2 strips of bacon
1 slice of onions – rough chopped
1 tsp garlic powder
2 – 3 tbs balsamic vinegar

Fry up the bacon until crisp. Remove from the pan leaving the bacon drippings. Throw in as many greens as will fit in the skillet. They cook down so don’t skimp. Cover the skillet and let the greens cook for a minute or so. Lift the lid and turn the greens so they don’t burn. Replace the lid. (The lid helps speed cooking because it traps the steam coming from the greens) Chop up the bacon. After about 5 minutes of cooking and turning the greens, add the bacon, onion and garlic powder. Continue cooking and turning until the onions are transparent but not browned. Add the balsamic vinegar and immediately cover. After about a minute, remove from the heat. Mix one last time to make sure the greens are flavored by the vinegar. Plate and serve.

The Balsamic Vinegar is the key to this recipe! It adds a layer of flavor and moistness that makes the greens come alive. Because they aren’t boiled to death, these greens are still going to have some texture to them.

Enjoy these greens with some sweet potatoes, and your favorite Q (I vote for pulled pork).
New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Postby apratt » Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:08 pm

Ummmm boy that sounds good. Can't wait to try that.
Arthur,

ASL spoken here
apratt
Gold Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:18 pm

Joanne you have discovered the art of Southern cooking. An alternative to bacon, for those who don't like smoke flavor is "fat back". That is salt pork with no lean. :lol:

If you like hot try the liquid for pickled peppers. :thumbsup:

Now I'm hungry. :lol:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby madjack » Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:43 pm

Miriam C. wrote:Joanne you have discovered the art of Southern cooking. An alternative to bacon, for those who don't like smoke flavor is "fat back". That is salt pork with no lean. :lol:

If you like hot try the liquid for pickled peppers. :thumbsup:

Now I'm hungry. :lol:

...yes she did...I also cook cabbage that away and famous in many gourmet restaurants is a "wilted" spinach salad...all real good eatin' :thumbsup:
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby caseydog » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:38 pm

I love veggies. I hated them as a kid, but my mom cooked them till they were green paste.

That's the trick, whether you use steam, or good old bacon fat, cook hot, cook fast.

As for greens to go with Que, I never get tired of some fresh asparagus lightly oild with olive oil, then seasoned with kosher salt and ground pepper, and grilled on the Weber. Hot and fast. Keep em a little crunchy. I call them my heathy french fies. Exellent with steak, and pretty darn tasty with any smoked beef or pork.

CD

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby dmb90260 » Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:28 am

Spinach would be good but poke salad is better, we picked it fresh in the woods in the good old days. :D Never heard of balsamic back then but bacon was required :R
Dennis
Join the Kenskill Karavan at:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/kenskill_karavan/
Real Men cook with Black Iron
The Buzz In the Dale: The Buzz In The Dale
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Return to Recipes by and for teardroppers Cookbook #1