Smoked Burgers

Recipes that work best for teardroppers

Smoked Burgers

Postby Joseph » Sat Apr 14, 2007 3:48 am

Had a serendipitous experience a week or so ago while grilling burgers for Kate & myself. I was using one of those chimney-type charcoal lighters and put both lump charcoal (the real stuff, not briquettes) and mesquite in it. Well, I thought it was well lit when I dumped it into the grill, but apparently not. It was just hot enough to cook the burgers, but not quite hot enough to sear them. Because it wasn't a high heat I left them on for longer than usual and they came out medium-well with a serious smokey flavor. Kate, who really loves her smokey stuff, said that was the best burger she'd ever had, which surprised me because we usually prefer our burgers seared and medium-raw.

So now I'm trying to figure out how to do it again...

Joseph
Joseph
Teardrop Pirate

Postby WarPony » Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:29 am

Joseph, I hardly EVER cook directly over the coals. I move the meat off to the opposite side of the grill and let the heat inside my Weber to cook the meat. I use plum, hickory and apple wood to use as smoke flavor and love it!! The indirect cooking method does take a little longer to do burgers and especially steaks but the reward is well worth the wait. Just remember, less heat............ lots of smoke!! :twisted:

Jeff
ImageImage

Still a million dollars away from being a millionaire!!
WarPony
Donating Member

Postby Ira » Mon Apr 16, 2007 3:18 pm

I agree with what you guys are saying, but you normally don't smoke burgers. It's not in the rulebook.

But I like 'em medium-raw too, so it kind of makes sense.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Mon Apr 16, 2007 9:54 pm

I think the key was the amount of time... More time means more smoke. I don't know what type of setup you were using, but I'm assuming it was a covered unit, if that much smoke got to the meat.
Regardless... Stay away from direct heat if you want more smoke flavor.
I'm with Kate... I Like Smoke!!!
Mesquite can be pretty powerful stuff.
I use a covered Brinkmann Smokin' Grill.
The meat ends up being about two feet above the coals.
I soak my wood in water for at least a half hour before I light the briquettes or lump charcoal.
I like hickory for beef, oak for pork and skungie, rotten, moldy alder for salmon. :twisted:
My rule of thumb for barbequeing is the slower the better... More time means more smoke flavor in the meat.
I keep a water bottle sprayer handy, in case my wood chunks ignite, 'cause once ignited, there is less smoke...but once in a while, depending on how someone wants their meat, I'll let them ignite just to superheat the cooking chamber enough to get the desired finish for someone who likes their meat less pink.
On this unit I have, it can easily take up to an hour to barbeque a nice fat ribeye...
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby Mary K » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:30 pm

Gosh, A smoked hamburger YUM!!! Ohh, and add some blue cheese real cheese not the dressing. YUMMY!!!

Thanks Joseph, what a great idea. :thumbsup:

Okay I go a stupid question. The wet wood chunks go on top of the coals right ? . I was given one of these (used) without the instructions, of course.

It works great for the DO!! :lol:

I'd really like to have and learn on one of these bad boys.

Sorry to Hijack Joseph.

Mk
Mary K

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. Bilbo Baggins
Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby SmokeyBob » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:22 pm

Mary
Yes the wet wood chunks go on top.

Or you can get you one of these.
Pics for Building the Alegria I
To view video click Here

Bob & Judith
SmokeyBob
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby asianflava » Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:42 am

I had forgotten that I made the same fortunate mistake. I put a few chunks of mesquite in with the charcoal while they were in the chimney starter. I cooked a few premade pattys on them and the extra smoke made them very flavorful, even for premade pattys.

The mesquite made lots and lots of smoke. Even when I used the BBQ a few weeks later, the smoky smell was very strong.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby bledsoe3 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:39 am

These are very good grills. They use wood pellets from whatever type wood you prefer. Indirect heat and lots of smoke. Not cheap though. $>
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Joseph » Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:01 am

Ira wrote:I agree with what you guys are saying, but you normally don't smoke burgers. It's not in the rulebook.

As I said, this was serendipitous - purely accidental. The first time I actually TRIED to smoke burgers, the papers got all soggy and I couldn't keep the darn thing lit... 8)

Joseph
Joseph
Teardrop Pirate

Postby IndyTom » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:20 am

bledsoe3 wrote:These are very good grills. They use wood pellets from whatever type wood you prefer. Indirect heat and lots of smoke. Not cheap though. $>

Oh man, I would love to have a Traeger. I love real southern BBQ (Memphis style - I grew up not far from there).

But since I can't afford to drop a grand on a pit, I think I will get myself one of these until then. They have somewhat limited capacity but I have talked to people who have done 15+ hour cooks unattended with them. I like that because that means I can get a good nights sleep. I can stay up all night cooking, drinking beer and listening to blues like I could 20 years ago.

Tom
Never trust a skinny cook

My build thread:http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36226

IndyTom
500 Club

Postby rbeemer » Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:42 am

MK,

Remember the internet is your friend. I bet you could go to the manufacturers website and download the instruction booklet for your smoker. 8)
Rick

If ducks had scales, would fish quack?
rbeemer
500 Club

Postby apratt » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:01 am

bledsoe3 wrote:These are very good grills. They use wood pellets from whatever type wood you prefer. Indirect heat and lots of smoke. Not cheap though. $>

Bledsoe, That is what I use. best BBQ investment I ever made. I don't even use my gas one any more. My meats comes out tasting sooooo good. I even made jerky in it that came out good, but the dehydrator was easier. They have 3 setting..... straight smoke..... medium heat.... high heat. Still get the smoke flavor at all setting, but of coarse the slower the cooking the more smoke flavor you get. Ummmm yummmy!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

p.s. I have whats called the 'Lil tex'
Last edited by apratt on Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Arthur,

ASL spoken here
apratt
Gold Donating Member

Postby SmokeyBob » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:02 am

Joseph
Instead of smoking burgers, try jerky wrapped in banana leaves.

You can get a good buzz from that stuff. :chicken: :rofl:
Pics for Building the Alegria I
To view video click Here

Bob & Judith
SmokeyBob
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby GregB » Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:53 am

Joseph,

The biggest problem with smoking burgers is usually the low fat content lets them dry out. There is a recipe that I have used before that works well. Mix butter and bacon fat in equal parts and make a 2-3" diameter (depends on the size of your burger) tube with the mixture. Freeze your "Fat Sausage" (leave it alone, Ira :) ). The next time you smoke a burger, put a 1/8" thick slice of frozen fat in the middle of your burger. Flip the burger once while cooking. The burger comes out incredibly moist and very tasty. My niece even declined ketchup for her burger (a landmark occasion, I assure you).

BTW, when smoking meat, remember that it usually only absorbs smoke flavor for the first 30-90 minutes or until it gets to 120 degrees on the outer surface. It soaks up more smoke the colder it is when you start cooking.

GB
I'm not dead, yet. I'm feeling better.
GregB
500 Club

Postby Joseph » Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:18 am

Mary K wrote:Gosh, A smoked hamburger YUM!!! Ohh, and add some blue cheese real cheese not the dressing. YUMMY!!!

That's exactly how Kate likes them - but with bacon... :thumbsup:
Sorry to Hijack Joseph.

BLOODY PIRATES!! :lol:

Glad you liked the idea!

Joseph
Joseph
Teardrop Pirate

Next

Return to Recipes by and for teardroppers Cookbook #1