Smoked Burgers

Recipes that work best for teardroppers

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:52 am

Mary K,
I have both of those Brinkmann's and I've just about worn out the smaller one. If you want to get the larger horizontal one, plan on using it for large quantities of meat... In other words, for when you plan to feed lots of people. The last time I used mine I did 50 tri tips in it. :twisted:
The dogs at that party thought I was God. :lol:
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby Ira » Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:58 pm

I have the inexpensive rectangular vertical Brinkmann smoker from Wally World--60 bucks. The same exact-looking unit is available elsewhere for twice, three times the price, but...

That other one os twice, three times as DURABLE.

Yeah, you gotta be careful where you buy a Brinkmann. They sell real cheaper grades of the same models for the discount stores. I buy the cheap one because I use it at least once a week, in the summer even more--so I just buy a new one every year or so for 60 bucks and toss out the old one.

I also have the barrel type, which is more convenient for certain items, but I generally prefer the vertical.

But for me, it's usually straight wood--not chips and coals. I'll start with the mesquite or hickory (for meat), depending on the flavor I want, and then I go to oak, because it's less intense. That's why I like the vertical--you just open the door and throw another chunk or two in there to both keep the fire going and add smoke--easier than trying to squeeze chips through a grate. But even if I use chips, I never soak them. Never understood the point, because all that does is kill your coals.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby Laredo » Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:29 pm

Ira,
"Chips" when wet should be used SPARINGLY.

Shavings (aka chips) dampened are meant to smoke and sputter on the coals.
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby Ira » Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:14 pm

Laredo wrote:Ira,
"Chips" when wet should be used SPARINGLY.

Shavings (aka chips) dampened are meant to smoke and sputter on the coals.

That's the whole thing--what's the point in wetting them then?

Chips aren't expensive, and the dry ones smoke better.

I go to a barbecue web site, and the majority consensus is not to wet them, if you're using coal and chips. Yeah, the majority of site visitors there just use straight wood anyway, but this confirmed what I had been doing with the chips for a few years anyway--not wetting them.

And everything turned out the way it's supposed to. It's not like water adds flavor, and the wetting thing has more to do with Q'ing in a standard GAS barbecue--the very idea of which makes me sick.

And another thing:

"Fall off the bone" for ribs means NOTHING. Just because the meat falls off the bone does NOT mean you've made a better tasting rib.

It's amazing how we we all hang onto these meaningless cliches--and I learned this from the pros--competition Q'ers and restaurant owners.

So the next time you're tempted to brag about the meat falling off the bones of your ribs, or someone else brags about it, remember that this ain't no great accomplishment.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby Laredo » Wed Apr 18, 2007 3:32 pm

falling off the bones can happen 'cause you steamed 'em or overcooked 'em, yeah.

But if you want really mind-blowing flavor cook your brisket slow until it falls apart in strings.
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby Ira » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:21 pm

Laredo wrote:falling off the bones can happen 'cause you steamed 'em or overcooked 'em, yeah.

But if you want really mind-blowing flavor cook your brisket slow until it falls apart in strings.

Four times I tried to do brisket--and it was horrible every time.

I think we discussed this before, and it's because I'm buying too small cuts of the stuff and it dries out. I don't belong to any of the shopping clubs, and my supermarkets only sell the smaller cuts.

I GOTTA learn to do brisket before I die.

The thing is, Memphis dry rub beef ribs are my specialty, the best dish I do, so whenever I want to do a 12-Budweiser all-day smoking session, I stick with what I know.

I get to drink more Budweiser this way, too.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Previous

Return to Recipes by and for teardroppers Cookbook #1