My Teardrop Smoker--COOL!!!

Recipes that work best for teardroppers

My Teardrop Smoker--COOL!!!

Postby Ira » Mon May 07, 2007 11:16 am

I have two of these ovens, and I "converted" one to a smoker. By the way, Wally World has these on clearance for REAL cheap now. I think 30 and change.

Yesterday was the big test:

The conversion was simply installing a vent on the top and drilling some holes:

Two standard racks of beef ribs (cut in half) and I used a dry rub. Mesquite chips are in box. (Box has a top but it's not shown in photo. I was drunk and forget to put it there.)

Box goes in, door gets closed, fire gets turned on, and I open yet another beer.

Hooray! A lot of smoke! Over the course of 4 hours, I refilled the chip box 2, 3 more times. Kept her at 200, 250--and no problem at all getting her a lot higher if I needed to.

Din-din! Came out EXCELLENT!

Made a bit of a mess though, so next time, I'm gonna use pans.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby Outlaw » Mon May 07, 2007 11:38 am

Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuumy. Now that's what I'm talkin' about!
Eric
ImageImageImage
Outlaw
Donating Member

Postby Ira » Mon May 07, 2007 11:46 am

There's an old expression that "self-praise stinks," but these REALLY came out great. Just as good as in my full-size smoker.

MEAT!!!
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby Mary K » Mon May 07, 2007 11:47 am

Hey!!! Great Idea Ira!!! :thumbsup:

Gosh that looks Yummy!!

Did you make that box for the wood chips? How many bottles of propane did you go through in that 4 hours?

I thought you had to have some water inside the smoker to help keep the meat from drying out. Course I don't know crap about smoking meat....

Thanks for sharing that with us.

Mk
Mary K

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. Bilbo Baggins
Mary K
6000 Club
6000 Club

Postby GregB » Mon May 07, 2007 11:49 am

Ira, you are a Smokin' Stud. Way to go to find a great way to BBQ while out camping!

GB
I'm not dead, yet. I'm feeling better.
GregB
500 Club

Postby apratt » Mon May 07, 2007 11:51 am

Ira you really got me droooling to get myself a brinkman oven ( my colman folding oven I am about ready to chuck it!), but our Wally world don't have them oven. :cry: :cry:
Arthur,

ASL spoken here
apratt
Gold Donating Member

Postby Ira » Mon May 07, 2007 11:51 am

Mary, there's no general consensus on the water thing--50% of the guys do it, the other 50% doesn't.

It also depends on what you're smoking, how big it is, and whether you foil or not.

When I smoke a pork shoulder (called arm picnic), I smoke it over a huge pan of Cola. For beef ribs, just not necessary. A lot of fat, which keeps it moist.

And yeah--I bought that box. A standard item.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby Ira » Mon May 07, 2007 11:54 am

apratt wrote:Ira you really got me droooling to get myself a brinkman oven ( my colman folding oven I am about ready to chuck it!), but our Wally world don't have them oven. :cry: :cry:

They might be on clearance online too. Someone at my barbecue site thinks that WM isn't going to be carrying any more Brinkmann items at all.

But I could have shoved another 2 racks in there without a problem, so THAT'S real cool about this little oven. A lot of space.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby Steve Frederick » Mon May 07, 2007 12:01 pm

MMMMM Looks good!
Two questions. Where did you get a vent..Make it?
Did the propane in one of those 1-pounders make it through the whole smokin' time?
Blessings, Steve
Adirondacks, Upstate New York
Building Journals
The Shop Manual's 8-years old!! Thank's everyone!
New! 'Rondack Lodge Plans!Order Here!
Steve Frederick
Custom Teardrop Builder

Location: Upstate New York, Adirondacks (Great Sacandaga Lake)

Postby Ira » Mon May 07, 2007 1:44 pm

Steve Frederick wrote:MMMMM Looks good!
Two questions. Where did you get a vent..Make it?
Did the propane in one of those 1-pounders make it through the whole smokin' time?

Someone on the barbecue site that I go to had an extra one and sent it to me. (Yeah, I'm a pain in the ass and a shmuck on TWO websites.)

www.barbecuenews.com

It's real easy for a normal person to make one, but not me. This ain't rocket science, but I wasn't about to spend an afternnon and lose a finger trying to cut that stupid little thing. Funny thing is, I had a HELL of a time finding any of these things for sale on the internet to begin with and was not successful--even through major manufacturers as a replacement part.

We're literally talking about a $4.99 part, and my guess is that if you own let's say an expensive Lang or Weber and you need a new vent...that they would send it to you for FREE. (Remember--if you own their smoker or grill, their vent holes have to line up with the exisiting holes on the unit.)

But here's the thing:

All you really have to do is drill the holes and and just leave it like that, and adjust your temps by controlling your gas flow. Or throw some ROCKS on there to cover the holes.

But heck, with this little oven, smoke escapes around the door edges anyway, so you probably don't even NEED a vent.

And yeah--with the oven set at medium, it wanted to go to 300, even with all of that meat in there. So from time to time, I had to adjust propane flow to even LESS.

So one bottle went 4 hours--and I don't even think it was 100% full.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Mon May 07, 2007 2:15 pm

Ira wrote:MEAT!!!

That's a good word Ira... :yes:
That is one cute little smoker yaa got there... :thumbsup:
Hey... I did up some meat this past weekend myself...
That's a 23 lb. Prime Rib I did at the 14th Dam Gathering this past Friday night... Fed just about 50 people and YES... cooked in a dutch oven.

I know I've been tryin' my best to crack your nut on these dutch ovens... Came close when you were bed ridden and had the flu, but you recovered from that.

Tell Yaa What...
I'll buy one of those little cuties and you get yourself a Lodge 12" CO...
Do that and I'll call it a truce. :thumbsup:
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Postby Ira » Mon May 07, 2007 2:41 pm

23 POUNDS!?

How much did THAT run you!?
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby Loader » Tue May 08, 2007 7:38 am

Great idea Ira. Having a portable smoker would really come in handy. Not only camping, but tailgating as well.
Earl & Kerry

"Loader"

Blue Yonder Build Thread - viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42611

ImageImage
Loader
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Ira » Tue May 08, 2007 7:38 am

Dean in Eureka, CA wrote:
Ira wrote:MEAT!!!

That's a good word Ira... :yes:
That is one cute little smoker yaa got there... :thumbsup:
Hey... I did up some meat this past weekend myself...
That's a 23 lb. Prime Rib I did at the 14th Dam Gathering this past Friday night... Fed just about 50 people and YES... cooked in a dutch oven.

I know I've been tryin' my best to crack your nut on these dutch ovens... Came close when you were bed ridden and had the flu, but you recovered from that.

Tell Yaa What...
I'll buy one of those little cuties and you get yourself a Lodge 12" CO...
Do that and I'll call it a truce. :thumbsup:

Hey--you know Forrest--is that his name?--aka Florida Farmer on www.barbecuenews.com?

I almost fell off my chair when he told me he knows you and reads all of your posts on that DO site.

He said you're a LEGEND in the DO community, which I knew anyway, but talk about a small world.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby Dean in Eureka, CA » Tue May 08, 2007 9:50 am

Ira,
I too just about fell outta my seat when he told me he knew you.
I just figured it was because you were famous, that's why I posted this thread... http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=15762

I corrected him and let him know that I'm just an enthusiastic novice...

BTW- Might be kinda hard for me to hold up my end of the deal, if you should accept. I looked all over this town for one of those little units yesterday to no avail. Do you know where to get 'em online???
Dean in Eureka, CA
The Fogcrawler

Next

Return to Recipes by and for teardroppers Cookbook #1