DO Pork Roast help please.

Recipes that work best for teardroppers

DO Pork Roast help please.

Postby dmb90260 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:44 pm

Here it is, 5.5# of good pork in a 12" DO.

This weekend after browning the roast, I will saute some garlic and then add some milk. Sound interesting?

I have found my chart that suggests to use 16 briquets on top and 9 on the bottom for 350 deg.

How long do I cook my 5.5 roast?

The recipe I have cooked a 3# roast for 1.5 hours.

Looks like it will happen Saturday so it does not interfer with the finale of the Sopranos on Sunday night.
Will Tony get whacked or does he do in Bad Phil?
Dennis
Join the Kenskill Karavan at:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/kenskill_karavan/
Real Men cook with Black Iron
The Buzz In the Dale: The Buzz In The Dale
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Postby apratt » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:34 pm

When it smells good,,, it is ready. When it smells burnt,,,, you cooked it too long. :lol: :lol: I do not know how long to cook it but I would rely on a meat thermometer.
Arthur,

ASL spoken here
apratt
Gold Donating Member

Postby dmb90260 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:59 pm

I have a good digital thermometer so it will not be raw or overcooked.
What I need is a good estimate so I know when to start.

I plan on adding baked taters and mess of sauteed mushrooms. I might even toss some in the pot.
If I have time I will burn some asparagus to add a little color but that will come off the BBQ or oven.

Unfortunately Whole Foods has very good and expensive cheeses and the jerk made me sample one that cost $15 for 12oz. I have one of those now plus a couple very nice English cheddars.
Dennis
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Postby wolfix » Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:49 pm

Being from Iowa, pork is a mainstay here. And I use garlic in everything, except my beer. But...........
DO cooking is my next adventure,but I do cook often. The DO has to be the same as my regular oven though. A 5# pork roast at 350 would be 2-3 hours. In a regular oven anyway....
I do slip the cut garlic into meat though before browning.

Question....... You say you are putting milk into the DO...... That sounds interesting as I have never done that. How much?
Whole Foods? Is that a organic place? The other day I picked up a dozen eggs fresh from the chickens butt. The difference in taste was unbelievable.I simply could not believe it... The cost was $1.00 a dozen compared to the same eggs the local organic store sells at $2.75.

That much for 12 oz of cheese sounds like you better not get addicted to it. I am hooked on feta. I have to buy a chunk every few weeks..... I'd walk to Greece to get it if we ran out here......

Maybe the last 1/2 hour you could take some of those mushrooms and stuff them with that good cheese,bread crumbs,a egg, and some clam pieces and the juice. Blend them together, stuff the rooms..... and then stake them to the top of the pork.
"I am the guy our parents warned us about."
wolfix
Teardrop Master

Postby martha24 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:07 pm

Dennis,
I would think you would need to allow at least 20 minutes per lb. 3lbs taking 1 1/2 would be 30 minutes a lb, so I would allow another hour in figuring your timing and might take a little longer. Julia Child allows 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 hours for a 4 lb roast in a 350 oven.
Of course the other unknown is how accurate the charcoal is, and for that length of time, you will need to be adding charcoal along the way as the original charcoal won't stay equally hot the whole time.

Have fun, best way to learn is by trying. I did a pork loin roast, but didn't keep it whole & cooked it with green enchilada sauce, chilies etc. in the DO & turned out great. Made super pork burritos the next day.
Martha ;)
Martha ;)

martha24
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby dmb90260 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:13 pm

martha24 wrote:Have fun, best way to learn is by trying. I did a pork loin roast, but didn't keep it whole & cooked it with green enchilada sauce, chilies etc. in the DO & turned out great. Made super pork burritos the next day.
Martha ;)

Carnitas, twice cooked pork, food of the gods. :D
Dennis
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Postby dmb90260 » Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:28 pm

wolfix wrote: Question....... You say you are putting milk into the DO...... That sounds interesting as I have never done that. How much? .

Here is the recipe http://tinyurl.com/2m56q5

Whole Foods is a very spendy organic grocery (grpcery? hah!) that opens only in upscale neighborhoods. My hood, Lawndale -The Dale- has been known as Billy Goat Acres- does not qualify but I live close to Manhattan Beach which qualifies.
Cheese prices are bad for anything from Europe but I will spend money on great cheese.. about $35 today for three pieces. Lincolnshire , Wesleydale from England and Haystack Mountain from Colorado.
Mainly I shop at Trader Joe's, grocery for the common man with good taste.
Anyone from CA will tell you about TJ's. Sort of organic but not expensive compared to Whole Foods and the others. Used to be a fine shopping experience but two years ago during a grocery strike too many people found TJ's and won't leave now.

The mushroom idea is intriguing.

Don't tell anyone but if this one works, I may bring a roast to Mendocino but someone else will have to do the mushrooms. ;)
Dennis
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Postby caseydog » Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:05 am

You could probably do a good slow roasted Cuban pork roast in a DO.

There is a box called a caja china that is similar to a DO, but way bigger, that is used for Cuban pork roast.

Look here: http://www.lacajachina.com/

You may find some ideas at this site.

CD

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby dmb90260 » Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:26 pm

caseydog wrote:You could probably do a good slow roasted Cuban pork roast in a DO.
There is a box called a caja china that is similar to a DO, but way bigger, that is used for Cuban pork roast.
Look here: http://www.lacajachina.com/ You may find some ideas at this site. CD

I could do that but I have to pay off my Dutch Ovens before expanding equipment choices.

Here on the Left Coast, one of the favorites is the Santa Maria Tri-tip. They are usually done on a bed of oak coals with a grill screen that hoists up and down.
When I had my rear ender repair on my Teardrop, it was done at a metal shop and this guy had small models. They were about all steel, about 2 ft square with a deep box for the coals and rails to hoist the screen up and down. It was so heavy that it came with a built in trailer hitch attachment. They looked interesting but were $100 and I was on vacation dollar rations. :(

Anyone living in the Santa Maria area, I think this was way out on the road to Casmallia. Let me know if you have tried one of these.
I can see it now... a truck tooling up 101 with coals cooking the tri-tip fro lunch :lol:
Dennis
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Postby bobhenry » Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:49 pm

Growing older but not up !
bobhenry
Ten Grand Club
Ten Grand Club

Postby Archer_1 » Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:54 pm

I did a Jamaican Jerk Pork roast last year; similar size in a 12" DO. It took just under three hours.
Everybody enjoys a good pun; its just that nobody has ever heard one!

2003 Camp-Inn 550 Ultra
Archer_1
Teardrop Advisor

Postby dmb90260 » Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:16 pm

Archer_1 wrote:I did a Jamaican Jerk Pork roast last year; similar size in a 12" DO. It took just under three hours.

That sounds good and will plenty of time of a bit cheese, wine and martini's before dinner. It will have to sit for while so I will plan on having 2.5 hours of cooking done when the guests arrive. That should be perfect.

Thanks for all the help,
Dennis
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Postby dmb90260 » Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:18 pm

And if you can find your way to Lawndale, you might find a spot at the table.
I will pick Sat or Sunday after tonight.
Drinks happen about 6PM.... senior dining rates at that hour :lol: :lol:
Dennis
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Postby caseydog » Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:18 pm

dmb90260 wrote:Here on the Left Coast, one of the favorites is the Santa Maria Tri-tip.

Splain this to me. I've tried that stuff several times -- they always have it at Laguna Seca race events, and one of my buddies will talk me into buy some of it, and it is always tough as leather.

Are they doing it wrong, or is part of the enjoyment of tri-tip the amount of time you spend chewing it?

CD

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby dmb90260 » Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:55 pm

caseydog wrote:Splain this to me. I've tried that stuff several times -- they always have it at Laguna Seca race events, and one of my buddies will talk me into buy some of it, and it is always tough as leather.
Are they doing it wrong, or is part of the enjoyment of tri-tip the amount of time you spend chewing it? CD

There is only one answer, bad vendor bad cook.
Granted tri-tip does not start as the tenderest piece of meat. I believe in other areas it is called flank meat or such. Properly marinated and not over cooked it is tender and delicious. They do it a number of ways but Santa Maria Tri Tip is cooked on oak and with a spicy marinade.
Costco around here has a Bill Bailey Santa Maria Tri Tip that is very good for package meat.

Next time get away from Laguna Seca and look for a local BBQ place, I bet it is better.
Dennis
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Return to Recipes by and for teardroppers Cookbook #1