Building a Trailer Smoker

Recipes that work best for teardroppers

Postby War Eagle » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:35 am

Ira, did you ever get started on this?

I barrowed one of the gas models you referenced for tailgating this weekend. I think I will buy .... I mean barrow it more often. I got the temp settled at 225, filled the water pan and wood ship pan and then put in 8 lbs boston butt around mid night Fri night. The next morning around 6 am I refilled the water and wood chips and loaded two 5 lbs chickens. The smoker still holding steady at 225. Next, around 10 am I added more water and wood chips and a 2 lbs pork tenderloin rubbed with peppercorn. Still holding at 225. I love the consistant temp. :thumbsup:

Around 2 pm I took out the butt. I was able to pull it apart with two plastic forks :? , man! was that good! Next I cut the tenderloin. All I can say is try a peppercorn rub sometime!!!!!!! Wow, that was incredible. Then we busted into one of the chickens. Awsome! Crispy skin, tender moist meat (marinated in Italian Dressing). I turned off the gas and left one chicken in teh smoker. We ate on the meat I had pulled out until everyone went into the ball game. After the game I pulle dth esecond chicken out. I was still plenty warm and extremely good. You could almost eat bones and all it was so tender.

Although I love cooking with charcoal I would highly recomend the Brinkman gas smoker. It is very convenient, it holds a very consistent temp and the gas usage seems to be very efficient. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I took a pic of my meat :roll: ... I'm talking about my butt :oops: ... the boston butt and chickens in the smoker ;) I'll try to post it tomorrow, I wish we had smellavision so you could really enjoy it.
War Eagle
Teardrop Master

Postby Ira » Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:04 pm

My HF didn't have the trailer when I went to get it, and as you may remember, I have two of the small Brinkmann OVENS --one in the TD, and one at home, which i coverted to a smoker by adding a vent.

And when I did my first smoking experiment with the one at home, it came out AWESOME. You're right:

As long as you keep the chips going for as long as needed, gas is fine. It was kind of like sacrilege to me using gas, but you can't argue with success.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Previous

Return to Recipes by and for teardroppers Cookbook #1