Building a Trailer Smoker

Recipes that work best for teardroppers

Postby Loader » Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:54 pm

Ira wrote:
Loader wrote:Here's the pic of the one that ColoradoTrout posted the link about. Has a lot of step by step photos.

I don't think those wheels are street-legal for towing.

You're right, but you mount the entire thing to the HF trailer, then get a step ladder to stand on to see what you're smoking! :lol:

I like your idea Ira, I think it is very doable, the single fire box is where I'm stuck at.

How many do you plan to cook for at one time? Would one of the horizontal smokers with side smoke box provide enough space, then mount that to the trailer? What about two horz smokers, woudl they both fit on the trailer?

Looking forward to seeing how you do this.
Earl & Kerry

"Loader"

Blue Yonder Build Thread - viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42611

ImageImage
Loader
Platinum Donating Member

Postby caseydog » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:05 pm

I have a Smokey Mountain Charcoal Smoker that I like. They also make a gas version. I added a chimney pipe to the top vent, and find it helps me regulate temperature much better, since I don't have to deal with downdrafts on windy days.

http://epod2000.stores.yahoo.net/smokmounser.html

I also have a 4X6 Trailer from Tractor Supply, that I put my big gas grill on to take to large group cookouts.

http://www.mytscstore.com/detail.asp?pc ... ctID=28442

This trailer has a mesh floor you can stand on, and spills go through it.

CD

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Ira » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:16 pm

Dean in Eureka, CA wrote:Ira,
If you're too cheap to build a dedicated smokin' trailer, why not just assemble the HF trailer and haul your vertical smokers to where you want to go?.

We're talking about a simple utility trailer--gonna have to mount them to the frame.

Earl, I want the capacity to cook for a lot, but the option of not so many. And yeah--horizontal models could work, but doing the math as far as cooking area goes and WORKING with the things, the verticals are my best bet.

And yeah, Casey--that what I planned to do--put a grate down as the deck.

It's a matter of proper fueling if I link them all together, which makes the most sense. Otherwise, I have 4 separate units and just tend them separately, but the former idea seems more logical.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby Colorado Trout » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:28 pm

Real quick, paint drawing, but is this what your talking about?

Colorado Trout
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Ira » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:47 pm

Colorado Trout wrote:Real quick, paint drawing, but is this what your talking about?

This is a good man!

Only difference is, the backs and sides of the units are butted and bolted to each other.

So no heat loss there.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby switterstx » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:29 pm

Hey Ira,

Between my father and I we've built 2-3 big smokers (6'x32" diam) and a few small ones (3'x22"). If you build it yourself you are looking at maybe $400 worth of material. If you are lucky, less. It is the labor that costs for these things. I made one out of less than $200 worth of materials but it took me 80hrs to make.

Joining a couple of those box ones together ends up with the problem of drafting. Since heat rises the smoke may make it but I doubt it will ever pull enough to actually burn properly.

Here's another option, go horizontal and find an old propane tank (don't be afraid yet) or a dead water heater.

Use a torch or a good reciprocating saw to cut the spaces for the doors and the fire box, make the firebox out of flat plate steel, 3/16" or better. On a tank of some sort you don't have to worry as much with the doors springing out. Line the edges of the door with 1"x1/16" flat bar to seal 'em.

As for a propane tank the trick is to fill it with water, let it sit for about a week, drain it, fill it again and start drilling holes at the corners for your doors. Start at the top.. Use a reciprocating saw and you're fine. If you want to use a torch, drill a good sized hole, then light a fire remotely somehow near the hole. If it does fire up it should escape and not blow. we've done the first option before with no problems.

I'll dig up my picts and post them so you can see what I'm talking about.
switterstx
Teardrop Advisor

Postby dmb90260 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:57 pm

There is nothing another full forum project. :applause:
Especially an Ira project. :lol:
I have no advice to offer but I would suggest you try it with two on the ground to see if they work cooking side by side before getting anything else. No point in buying a trailer or four smokers if you cannot make a test project work right. I have not looked at one of those smokers, is the side material strong enough to hold two (or four) of them together without ripping the hole out due normal street driving and bouncing? :roll:
Dennis
Join the Kenskill Karavan at:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/kenskill_karavan/
Real Men cook with Black Iron
The Buzz In the Dale: The Buzz In The Dale
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Ira » Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:19 pm

switterstx wrote:Hey Ira,

Between my father and I we've built 2-3 big smokers (6'x32" diam) and a few small ones (3'x22"). If you build it yourself you are looking at maybe $400 worth of material. If you are lucky, less. It is the labor that costs for these things. I made one out of less than $200 worth of materials but it took me 80hrs to make.

Joining a couple of those box ones together ends up with the problem of drafting. Since heat rises the smoke may make it but I doubt it will ever pull enough to actually burn properly.

Here's another option, go horizontal and find an old propane tank (don't be afraid yet) or a dead water heater.

Use a torch or a good reciprocating saw to cut the spaces for the doors and the fire box, make the firebox out of flat plate steel, 3/16" or better. On a tank of some sort you don't have to worry as much with the doors springing out. Line the edges of the door with 1"x1/16" flat bar to seal 'em.

As for a propane tank the trick is to fill it with water, let it sit for about a week, drain it, fill it again and start drilling holes at the corners for your doors. Start at the top.. Use a reciprocating saw and you're fine. If you want to use a torch, drill a good sized hole, then light a fire remotely somehow near the hole. If it does fire up it should escape and not blow. we've done the first option before with no problems.

There's not one task you mentioned above that I could complete without killing myself.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby Woody » Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:31 pm

Ira wrote:
switterstx wrote:Hey Ira,

There's not one task you mentioned above that I could complete without killing myself.

Heck you survived building a teardrop, then camping in it. You can survive this also. But just in case you feel the need to use a torch to cut in a old prpane tank or something similiar. Let me know ahead of time and I will seek cover. I think you live just far enough from me that I should just see the mushroom cloud but no shrapnel :lol: :lol: :lol:
Woody
The Tear Jerker's, Florida Chapter Director
E-mail: [email protected]
Tear jerker chapter site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Check the SE section for gathering information
Tear Jerkers new site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Enjoying life in 12 ounce increments is what it's about
Woody
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Ira » Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:34 pm

Woody wrote: But just in case you feel the need to use a torch to cut in a old porpane tank or something similiar. Let me know ahead of time and I will seek cover. I think you live just far enough from me that I should just see the mushroom cloud but no shrapnel :lol: :lol: :lol:

This is my point exactly.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

Postby Woody » Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:38 pm

Sounds like one heck of project. You need it for the next gathering since the BBQ cook off idea we used for the last gathering was a hit. SO GET BUSY :thumbsup:
Woody
The Tear Jerker's, Florida Chapter Director
E-mail: [email protected]
Tear jerker chapter site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Check the SE section for gathering information
Tear Jerkers new site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Enjoying life in 12 ounce increments is what it's about
Woody
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby BobR » Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:58 pm

Hey Ira...want to do it really cheap. Use a giant carboard box smoker. It should be right up your alley. Just cover it up with a plastic tarp in case it rains :lol:

The complete article is here

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/show_ea/article/0,,FOOD_9956_2245800,00.html
Bob Richert
Parrish, FL
"Be glad of life because it gives you the chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars"
BobR
Donating Member

Postby caseydog » Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:01 pm

I can't really back this up with science, but I don't think it is a good idea to bolt four cheap smokers together.

First of all, I don't think you will get reliably even heat, and second, I see the need for a fire extinguisher in that picture.

Mostly, though, I think the heat will be too hard to control with all of them grouped together.

Also, have you looked at the amount of meat you can smoke with diferent configurations? If one horizontal smoker holds the same amount of meat as four verticals, what's the point? You can always smoke a little meat in a big smoker, but you can't cook a lot of meat if you run out of room. Does that make sense?

Think about the desired end result before choosing the method, IMHO.

My build journal is HERE
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member

Postby War Eagle » Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:42 am

light a fire remotely somehow near the hole. If it does fire up it should escape and not blow. :o :oops: :roll: :thinking: :thumbsup: :lol:

That made me laugh.

Ira it may be a good idea to get two of the four smokers and bolt them together on the ground to see how well you can controll the temp between the two. Switt has a point about the vertical smokers. The heat is goint to be very high, away from the port holes, so it will be more difficult to move the heat from one box to another.

I know you want the verticals but how about two of the chargrillers I showed you yesterday? Would they fit back to back on the trailer you want? That's what I use for smoking and grilling and I love it. They have VERY heavy cast iron cooking grates that cook very well. You can maintain a 200 temp for about 12 hours with one large bag of charcoal.

Just a suggestion, I know you want the verts but the transfere of heat is comming into question.... unless you make the ports between the boxes MUCH larger. Think about it. :thumbsup:
War Eagle
Teardrop Master

Postby Ira » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:10 am

War Eagle wrote:light a fire remotely somehow near the hole. If it does fire up it should escape and not blow. :o :oops: :roll: :thinking: :thumbsup: :lol:

That made me laugh.

Ira it may be a good idea to get two of the four smokers and bolt them together on the ground to see how well you can controll the temp between the two. Switt has a point about the vertical smokers. The heat is goint to be very high, away from the port holes, so it will be more difficult to move the heat from one box to another.

I know you want the verticals but how about two of the chargrillers I showed you yesterday? Would they fit back to back on the trailer you want? That's what I use for smoking and grilling and I love it. They have VERY heavy cast iron cooking grates that cook very well. You can maintain a 200 temp for about 12 hours with one large bag of charcoal.

Just a suggestion, I know you want the verts but the transfere of heat is comming into question.... unless you make the ports between the boxes MUCH larger. Think about it. :thumbsup:

Gonna think about this, because I originally planned on just firing each unit separately ANYWAY. Yeah, it's more work, but it gives me individual control on the temps, plus the versatility to use one for grilling, one for warming, etc.

I have no problem with the horizontal units, but the high porthole position confuses me:

I can put those anywhere I want.
Here we go again!
Ira
Forum Storyteller

PreviousNext

Return to Recipes by and for teardroppers Cookbook #1