mmm the smell of all that food ... be aware

Recipes that work best for teardroppers

mmm the smell of all that food ... be aware

Postby Ron Dickey » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:59 am

I was looking up diffent designs of food boxes on the net.
then I who did little camping found out there are precausions to having food at the site.

Litttle to lllarge criders that might like to visit day or night.
found this at a free recipes site

Never leave food or other smellies (i.e.- deodorant, tooth paste, shampoo, etc.) in your tent (especially in bear country). Animals are attracted to the scent of all of these items.

Never leave food and smellies in a zipped pack, jacket, duffel bag, etc. Hungry animals will literally chew holes in your nice equipment to get to the food. If you have to (or choose to) leave food in your backpack or whatever, then at least leave the zippers open. You might lose some food, but at least you won't have to shell out more money to replace the damaged gear.

Cook at least 200 feet from your sleeping area if possible. This is only a necessity in bear country. However, unless you enjoy waking from your slumber to hear weird noises in the middle of the night you may want to practice this all of the time.

Hang your food and smellies bag away from your tent. In bear country, you must either do this or carry a bear canister, but this trick also works for most smaller animals.

If you are near water, you can put food and smellies in dry bags (waterproof bags) and sink them. Make sure you tie the bags off to a stake that is very secure.

How to hang a Bear Bag:
First take an extra sock and put a rock or two in the bottom. Tie a long piece of rope to the end of the sock (This is a lot easier than tying the rope directly to the rock). Hurl it over a limb that is at least 15' off of the ground and 8' - 10' from the trunk of the tree. Jiggle the rope to lower the end down. Untie the sock, tie the rope to your food bag, and hoist it up. Tie the rope off to the trunk of the tree. The bag should hang about 5' down from the branch, 10' - 12' form the ground, and 8' - 10' from the trunk.

other sites said it helps to be in large groups but at night ... we had a Coon infestation at Montana De Oro all over like ants.

this is not ment to scare you because they are affraid of us but that mmmm smell we left for them to find. So clean up is even more of a neccesity then at home.

Bears that are found where people camp know what food containers look like and will do anything to get at food or sugar.
they say a bear can smell 10 times better then a dog.

Now did I hear waffels are up???
Ron D. :thinking:
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby coreyjhen » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:21 am

Ron, I find it interesting that someone from "The Bears, CA" would post this! :lol:
"They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown." - Carl Sagan
coreyjhen
Teardrop Master

Postby Ron Dickey » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:15 pm

Gee I guess I will have to grin :) and bear it.

for those who did not catch that Los Osos means Valley of the bears. they say grizlys use to be found there.

But I can come back to you one that.... it is interesting that the one who would notice is found that lives in the city where I was born.

Ron D.
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Laredo » Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:37 pm

Ron --
this is one of my issues with popup trailers -- canvas walls elevated 4' and held in place with elastic are a joke at keeping out e.g. squirrels, possums, etc.
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Return to Recipes by and for teardroppers Cookbook #1