Biscuit mix

Recipes that work best for teardroppers

Biscuit mix

Postby skhampton » Thu Mar 31, 2005 6:40 pm

My first post on this forum - please be kind.

In our family, we like biscuits. We especially like biscuits while we are camping. But with all the health issues associated with solid fats (shortening, butter, etc.), I wanted the biscuits to be "healthy". Here is the recipe that we ended up with:

2 cups flour
1 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/4 oil
3/4 milk

Mix together. Knead. Rollout. Cut biscuits. Bake in a 500 degree F oven until lightly browned - usually 10 minutes.

Now the fun begins. To make these camper friendly. I make up ziplock bags of the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and 1/3 cup dried milk) - usually one bag per day of our scheduled trip. Any bags that aren't used while camping get used up after we get back.

Then at the site, I add the oil and a scant 3/4 cup of water. Mix in a bowl, knead (if I feel ambitious), squeeze off balls of dough that I roll in my hands and flatten then I place them on a oiled/greased heavy duty piece of foil. I make the entire thing into a package that fits in my largest pan and cook it on the campstove - turning the foil package over and over until the biscuits are done. (A dutchoven is currently on the wishlist. :D )

The kids like when I add stuff to the biscuits - cinnamon, sugar, and raisins with a confectioner sugar glaze added after baking is currently the favorite. But I also do savory ones with garlic and cheese. If you add a little more sugar to the mix they make a nice stand in for a fruit shortcake dessert.

I look forward to sharing lots of tips with everyone.

Stephanie
skhampton
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Geron » Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:33 pm

Excellent, Excellent Thanks for sharing. I'll add this to my recipe files.

Yep, If you're gonna cook biscuits on a camping trip you need a dutch oven. Works just like the oven back home. Bakes excellent biscuits.

Welcome aboard.

Geron
If it's not broken, you're not trying hard enough.
Geron
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: Biscuit mix

Postby Gern Blanston » Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:04 pm

skhampton wrote:2 cups flour
1 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/4 oil
3/4 milk

I'm just enough of a cook to know that this recipe isn't calling for a quart of oil, but I'm not enough of a cook to know what a 1/4 oil is. Tablespoon? Cup? And is that 3/4 cup of milk? It looks good and easy, but I may need help.

Thanks,
Gern
Gern Blanston
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Biscuit mix

Postby Geron » Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:29 am

Gern Blanston wrote:
skhampton wrote:2 cups flour
1 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/4 oil
3/4 milk

I'm just enough of a cook to know that this recipe isn't calling for a quart of oil, but I'm not enough of a cook to know what a 1/4 oil is. Tablespoon? Cup? And is that 3/4 cup of milk? It looks good and easy, but I may need help.

Thanks,
Gern

Your're talking Cups here. 1/4 cup oil and 3/4 cup milk. I usually have to add a little more milk - especially buttermilk - to get the right consistency. Right consistency is just something you "know" and "feel"

Geron
If it's not broken, you're not trying hard enough.
Geron
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Laredo » Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:02 pm

If you're using powdered milk anyhow, you can get powdered buttermilk. It looks like this and most grocery stores have it:

and it tastes lots better. You may need to adjust for saltiness if you're used to regular nonfat dry milk, as this won't make as salty-tasting a bread.
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby doug hodder » Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:26 pm

good call Laredo....I've used that stuff for quite a while at home....Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby Laredo » Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:44 pm

thanks. I found it several years ago.

i love your woodwork. your tear's gorgeous.
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Postby nubwon » Sun Aug 21, 2005 7:44 am

We haven't gotten our teardrop finished yet, so all the camping we do is in our 28ft travel trailer. When the wife cooks biscuits, she usually makes whampem biscuits......Peel the paper off the pack, and Whampem on the edge of the counter to open :lol:
If your gonna be dumb, you gotta be tuff...
nubwon
Teardrop Master

powered Buttermilk..

Postby vinoscooter » Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:22 pm

Powdered Buttermilk is an excellent prouduct..& for those times that you don't have it handy...there's allways a backup...or..Plan B... :)
Homemade Buttermilk

You don’t have buttermilk, but you are desperate for homemade buttermilk pancakes or biscuits.

What are you going to do? Here is a quick and easy solution!

1 Cup Whole Milk

Add one of the following ingredients:

• ¾ Tbl. cream of tarter;

• 1 Tbl. white vinegar;

• 1 Tbl. lemon juice

Add one of the above acidic ingredients to the milk and stir. Let stand at room temperature for 25 minutes. The milk should start to curdle. Stir well before using. Also, a combination of plain yogurt (¾ cup) and whole milk (¼ cup) can also be used to replace a cup of buttermilk, in most recipes.
" You have enemies? Good! It means you've stood up for something at least once in your life."
WINSTON CHURCHILL
vinoscooter
Teardrop Master

Return to Recipes by and for teardroppers Cookbook #1