Who doesn't know that? About Coffee

Recipes that work best for teardroppers

Who doesn't know that? About Coffee

Postby len19070 » Sat Apr 30, 2005 5:43 am

This is a trick that a lot of people know about..but a lot don't. Every time I explain it Somebody always has never heard of it.
Morning Coffee
I love cooking coffee in an old percolator on my old gas stove. The smell of coffee brewing first thing in the morning is a true "Camping Smell". Bring it to a perk, turn the heat down, perk for 5 minutes and you have a great cup of coffee....the first one. Then at about 9-9:30 you want another. So you turn on the gas stove, warm the coffee in the pot. But it just doesn't taste as good. Then the third cup later on is really rude.
Well, If you took that pot of coffee when it was fresh and poured it into a Thermos it would taste like it was just made all day. I use a Stanley Stainless Steel and some times I have Morning Coffee at dinner (if it lasts that long).

Happy Trails

Len
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby madjack » Sat Apr 30, 2005 9:35 am

...Len, I have done that for years...even at home. I have a SS carafe that I acquired many years ago(I think the statute of limitations has expired), once my morning coffe is made I pour it into the carafe and have hot fresh tasting coffee that is good to the last drop. Camping, I just use may old SS Stanley
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby SteveH » Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:40 pm

Not to change the subject, but guess I am just a little. On the thermos bottles, I've found most of them have no insulation in them other than the bottle itself.

So...what I do is use a can of the spray expandable polyurethane foam , the one with the tube on the end for geting into cracks and such, and insert it between the bottle and the outer container and let harden. Then the thermos will hold the heat MUCH better.
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby len19070 » Sun May 01, 2005 7:09 pm

Whoa Steve..I saw a guy do that once with a small 6-pack cooler and blew the thing up. That foam expands...expands a LOT. Anybody trying this, Be careful.

Happy Trails

Len
:peace: :peace: :peace: :peace: :peace:
http://s26.photobucket.com/user/len1907 ... 20trailers

"If you do good things, good things will happen to you"..... Earl Hickey
len19070
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby SteveH » Sun May 01, 2005 8:15 pm

Len,

You don't close it up until the foam is finshed expanding...sort of. Anyway, I've done it to four of them and they work great.
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Chip » Mon May 02, 2005 5:26 am

Dang Len when I re read ya first post and ya said , ya wanted your second one about 9:30 I thought ya meant pot of coffee,, mine never has time to cool off from one pot to the next,, :lol:

chipper
Living large,,,travling small !!!
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Serro Scotty rebuild(in progress)
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby JunkMan » Mon May 02, 2005 7:28 am

len19070 wrote:Whoa Steve..I saw a guy do that once with a small 6-pack cooler and blew the thing up. That foam expands...expands a LOT. Anybody trying this, Be careful.

Happy Trails

Len

I think I read somewhere that there are different types of spray foam, some expand up to 3 times their size as they dry, and some just fill the gaps with very little expansion.
Jeff & Odie
Black Hills of South Dakota
JunkMan
500 Club

Postby twc3 » Mon May 02, 2005 5:35 pm

:twisted: This is how I make coffee every morning. About a year ago my drip maker died so I went out to the Teardrop and got my camp percolator and my thermos and well just reading this made me go get the last cup of the day – and it still tastes great.

TC
twc3
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Guest » Tue May 03, 2005 12:03 pm

I just found out that the way I like my coffee, strong with mud in the bottom, done in a french press... Is not good for you, it's said that too many oils stay in the coffee and can elevate your colestoral level big time.
(I'm going to pretend that I never read that) :R

Postby Mainstreat » Mon Sep 12, 2005 7:51 am

:x leave it up to the french to screw up a good thing :x
I feel more like I do now than I did when I got here.
Mainstreat
Teardrop Builder

Return to Recipes by and for teardroppers Cookbook #1