NYFD firehouse chow..

Recipes that work best for teardroppers

NYFD firehouse chow..

Postby vinoscooter » Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:57 pm

A Yummy simple recipe...
The original recipe came off a Newyork fire department calander a couple of years before
9/11.I modified it for use for sunday brunch in restraunts..60 servings..After 9/11 I returned the recipe
back for family use.So this isn't quite the original recipe..Also variations:Ham is excellent,turkey,chicken
Your favorite sausage,homemade or purchaced,meatless:broccoli works well,use your imagination w/this recipe
Make it a couple of times & you'll know what you want more of or less of...The recipe is excellent as it is though.

Great for breakfast,lunch,even as a sandwich..

1 C. hard salami..one of those 12 oz,to 1lb small summer sausage rolls works also.
1 lb carton cottage cheese
1 tsp garlic pwd
1 doz eggs use 9 save 3 for the end
1 cube buter
parmesan cheese, I put 1 tbl in the mix
3 eggs for the top before baking
Original recipe calls for 1 tsp garlic salt + 1 1tsp salt also,Im a low salt person
to me the meat ,butter,cottage cheese has enough salt.
Mix eggs good in large bowl (9) chop or dice meat into bite size pieces & add.
melted butter,not to hot!We don't want to have any eggs start to set up.
Add cottage cheese,parmesan cheese, spice's,mix well,pour mixture in non stick pan,easy to use 2 smaller pans,or 1 larger pan..whatever you have
Now mix 3 eggs well,Get a little air in them...pour them over the top,spred em around to cover,
Bake at 350 till it's golden brown 25,35 min. depending on oven..serve while hot w/more parmesan cheese.
Serve w/fresh fruit,breakfast rolls,sourdough,w/good jam is good also.just about
anything will taste Great...Ive even baked this a few times w.colman fold up oven & stove,no problems.YUMMY vinoscooter :)
" You have enemies? Good! It means you've stood up for something at least once in your life."
WINSTON CHURCHILL
vinoscooter
Teardrop Master

Postby Woody » Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:03 pm

Sounds very good, I do feel my coronary arteries clogging though
Woody
The Tear Jerker's, Florida Chapter Director
E-mail: [email protected]
Tear jerker chapter site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Check the SE section for gathering information
Tear Jerkers new site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Enjoying life in 12 ounce increments is what it's about
Woody
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby madjack » Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:08 pm

...it is important to remember that whenever clogging your arteries that a good Chianti is highly recommended to make everything flow freely once again(Hannibal Lechter)
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby vinoscooter » Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:13 pm

Woody, it's called portion control :) Think of it as your side of eggs,& side of meat,dairy portion,all in one...Add a few spuds...breakfast is done..At least thats how I try to justifi eating it?..It keeps well,& frezze's well also..vinoscooter.
" You have enemies? Good! It means you've stood up for something at least once in your life."
WINSTON CHURCHILL
vinoscooter
Teardrop Master

Postby IraRat » Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:07 pm

This recipe sounds so weird to me that it HAS to be delicious.

I mean, where does the cottage cheese come into play here??? This is culinarily bizarre to me on all levels.

But with a dozen eggs and a stick of butter (is that what you meant by cube?), it has to be great.
--Ira

"My HD and Wal-Mart have been out of Titebond for weeks, and I think it's a communist conspiracy."
IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby vinoscooter » Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:28 pm

1 cube of butter or 1 stick or 8 tbls...Im sure the recipe is a cross between french & Italiano.
Ive seen and had cottage cheese in a type of french stew,french panckes..called Blinyzes
..In a french watercress soup,served cold..they also used sour cream in it.. & others..Then w/the parmesan
& meat is more Italy..So I can just see a Frenchmen & an Italian..Fireman both trying to have there say
about it. It doesn't have to be so fatning..Lots of low fat,low salt options out there :) ..It serves 8 to 10...so thats about 1 tbl. butter a person
Some how the cheese works...kinda melds alltogether..My Gramma tought me the basic's of cooking..So im an old school cook...howerver I have a degree in culinary arts.
The degree helped..kicked up the paycheck's a bit..It's a tested & tryed recipe in restraunts,W/ family..friends,& just old plain folks like me..Don't let the eggs dry out..
As soon as they set up it's done..vinoscooter :)
WINSTON CHURCHILL
vinoscooter
Teardrop Master

Re: NYFD firehouse chow..

Postby Joanne » Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:17 am

vinoscooter wrote:A Yummy simple recipe...
The original recipe came off a Newyork fire department calander a couple of years before
9/11.I modified it for use for sunday brunch in restraunts..60 servings..After 9/11 I returned the recipe
back for family use.So this isn't quite the original recipe..Also variations:Ham is excellent,turkey,chicken
Your favorite sausage,homemade or purchaced,meatless:broccoli works well,use your imagination w/this recipe
Make it a couple of times & you'll know what you want more of or less of...The recipe is excellent as it is though.
Great for breakfast,lunch,even as a sandwitch..
1 C. hard salami..one of those 12 oz,to 1lb small summer sausage rolls works also.
1 lb carton cottage cheese
1 tsp garlic pwd
1 doz eggs use 9 save 3 for the end
1 cube buter
parmesan cheese, I put 1 tbl in the mix
3 eggs for the top before baking
Original recipe calls for 1 tsp garlic salt + 1 1tsp salt also,Im a low salt person
to me the meat ,butter,cottage cheese has enough salt.
Mix eggs good in large bowl (9) chop or dice meat into bite size pieces & add.
melted butter,not to hot!We don't want to have any eggs start to set up.
Add cottage cheese,parmesan cheese, spice's,mix well,pour mixture in non stick pan,easy to use 2 smaller pans,or 1 larger pan..whatever you have
Now mix 3 eggs well,Get a little air in them...pour them over the top,spred em around to cover,
Bake at 350 till it's golden brown 25,35 min. depending on oven..serve while hot w/more parmesan cheese.
Serve w/fresh fruit,breakfast rolls,sourdough,w/good jam is good also.just about
anything will taste Great...Ive even baked this a few times w.colman fold up oven & stove,no problems.YUMMY vinoscooter :)

It looks like this recipe would work well in a Dutch Oven while camping with a group.

Joanne
New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Hi Joanne..

Postby vinoscooter » Sun Jul 24, 2005 7:49 pm

It works well in a dutch oven..Keep the heat down some,butter has a lower burn TEMP..than other oil's..I made some in a coffee can 1 time..used powdered eggs!..We were hugary...it came out fine...Put this recipe on here cause it's simple,& can be modified for all tastes..A little fresh chive,or parseley...more or less meats...Let it cool a little tell it sets up,kinda like a pie,it'll dish out better,The next day after it's been cool slice it up for a sandwitch..tomatoes,cucumber,Your favorite fresh greens,mayo,fresh ground pepper...& one more thing,any meats used MUST BE PRECOOKED...& drain as much fat off as you can..We made 1 up yesterday for a potluck...We used bacon...9" X 2/ & 1/2" hi teflon pan,baked for 35 min,at 350...GOOD LUCK...vinoscooter
WINSTON CHURCHILL
vinoscooter
Teardrop Master

Return to Recipes by and for teardroppers Cookbook #1