Fried Pickles

Recipes that work best for teardroppers

Fried Pickles

Postby Wimperdink » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:30 pm

Anyone like and make their own Fried Pickles? If so, care to share what batter/breading you use and how you make it stick properly?

I can't think of a better use for a cast iron mini DO.

I did try my own at home using some box batter but it didn't fare well. The breading was too thin and just kinda slid off the pickle before getting it out of the oil.

Image
Image You know a man is on the level if his bubble is in the middle.
User avatar
Wimperdink
1000 Club
1000 Club
 
Posts: 1058
Images: 33
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:29 pm
Location: East TN

Postby caseydog » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:42 pm

I've done them with seasoned flour, and with seasoned beer batter. The seasoned flour is easier, and tastes fine, to me. :thumbsup:

CD
Image

My build journal is HERE
User avatar
caseydog
Platinum Donating Member
 
Posts: 12408
Images: 515
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:44 pm

Postby Wimperdink » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:38 pm

caseydog wrote:I've done them with seasoned flour, and with seasoned beer batter. The seasoned flour is easier, and tastes fine, to me. :thumbsup:

CD




I'll give it a shot.... The box mixture I used didn't work well at all. :)
Image You know a man is on the level if his bubble is in the middle.
User avatar
Wimperdink
1000 Club
1000 Club
 
Posts: 1058
Images: 33
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:29 pm
Location: East TN
Top

Postby Big Dan » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:04 pm

after chopping use a paper towel to pat dry. try a pancake batter with a little corn starch and spieses. When you get that masterd try deepfried pickled hard boiled eggs!!! slice batter and fry. :shock:
"Happiness is only real when shared" Alexander Supertramp
User avatar
Big Dan
The 300 Club
 
Posts: 414
Images: 45
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:46 pm
Location: WA
Top

Postby Wimperdink » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:19 pm

Big Dan wrote:after chopping use a paper towel to pat dry. try a pancake batter with a little corn starch and spieses. When you get that masterd try deepfried pickled hard boiled eggs!!! slice batter and fry. :shock:


I've never been a fan of pickled eggs. I've not even tasted one but there's something bad that happens to my gag reflex when I think about eating one. :) I hesitated at the fried pickles when I first saw them but became an instant addict. I'm thinkin about going and firing up the deep fryer now. :lol:
Image You know a man is on the level if his bubble is in the middle.
User avatar
Wimperdink
1000 Club
1000 Club
 
Posts: 1058
Images: 33
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:29 pm
Location: East TN
Top

Postby Wimperdink » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:11 pm

well I tried the seasoned flour.... I've got the spices right.... I cleared a small plate of them... Only thing they needed was to be a lil crispier. Mine tend to stick together in the fryer and peel breading from their neighbors if I do too many at once. How do the restraunts get them so crispy and perfect?

Wondering if the freezing process does something to them like french fries. When I cut up potatoes at home for hashbrowns or french fries I get either burned or floppy... no happy crispy medium. :oops: Store bought french fries cook ok.
Image You know a man is on the level if his bubble is in the middle.
User avatar
Wimperdink
1000 Club
1000 Club
 
Posts: 1058
Images: 33
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:29 pm
Location: East TN
Top

Postby bobhenry » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:17 am

Cornstarch........

Anything wet , primer with cornstarch, this will then allow the batter to stick.

If you want a real treat try pepperoncini's deep fried. The deep frying takes the hot out of this little pepper and they are fantastic.
Growing older but not up !
User avatar
bobhenry
9000 Club
9000 Club
 
Posts: 9829
Images: 2255
Joined: Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:49 am
Location: INDIANA, LINDEN
Top

Postby chorizon » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:51 am

Wimperdink wrote:well I tried the seasoned flour.... I've got the spices right.... I cleared a small plate of them... Only thing they needed was to be a lil crispier. Mine tend to stick together in the fryer and peel breading from their neighbors if I do too many at once. How do the restraunts get them so crispy and perfect?

Wondering if the freezing process does something to them like french fries. When I cut up potatoes at home for hashbrowns or french fries I get either burned or floppy... no happy crispy medium. :oops: Store bought french fries cook ok.


I've tried the freezing method for stuffed jalapenos. It works pretty well.

Another thing to try if you don't want to freeze them first is to "par-fry" them.

I use the par-frying method to make crispy fresh french fries.

Throw the 'taters in hot oil until they start to get a little color.

Pull them out of the oil, let them cool completely.

Then add them back to the oil to cook until golden-brown, et voila!

Crispy home-made french fries!
User avatar
chorizon
Platinum Donating Member
 
Posts: 871
Images: 94
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:44 pm
Location: Austin, Texas
Top

Postby Wimperdink » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:41 am

Yes I will try both suggestions... Bob the cornstarch thing should take care of that.... and Joshua, I've never heard of par-frying... Definitly going to give that a shot. I'm a big fan of breakfast potatoes or tiny chopped up diced potatoes cooked crispy.

Just coming back in here makes me wanna go fry up more pickles.... I'll opt to go to bed instead lol
Image You know a man is on the level if his bubble is in the middle.
User avatar
Wimperdink
1000 Club
1000 Club
 
Posts: 1058
Images: 33
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:29 pm
Location: East TN
Top


Return to Recipes by and for teardroppers Cookbook #1

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest