1 cup diced celery
    1 cup carrots, diced
    2 bay leaves
    1 tbsp dried parsley
    1 can diced tomatoes
    1/2 tsp dried thyme
    salt and pepper
    homemade noodles (see below)
Remove any stuffing from the carcass. Break the carcass up so it fits in a large pot. Add water and bay leaves. Simmer for 3 hours.

Remove the carcass parts from the pot. Let the parts cool, then strip the meat from the pieces and put the meat back in the turkey broth. Throw the bones away.

Add the onion, celery, carrots, parsley, tomatoes and thyme. Salt and pepper to taste and simmer for a further 30 minutes. Add the noodles and simmer for 6 more minutes. Makes a boatload of soup.

Home Made Noodles
    1 egg
    1/2 tsp salt
    2/3 cup flour

Mix the egg well. Add the salt and mix until dissolved. Add half the flour and mix. Add the rest of the flour and mix. If the dough is too dry add a little water.

Roll the dough out on a floured board, fold over and roll again. Repeat until the dough takes on a smooth texture. Roll out until it is less than 1/8" thick. Slice into 1/4" wide noodles. Let the noodles completely dry before using. Noodles this fresh will only take 5 or 6 minutes to cook.

I use a hand cranked pasta machine I have had for over 30 years to make these noodles. It works very well and I can make the noodles as thick or as thin as I like.

Mike
Hayden Lake, ID
Mike B
500 Club

Postby eaglesdare » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:27 am

yumm! i just made turkey soup here. i throw everything that is leftover in. i include the stuffing also. i don't make home made noodles, but added store bought ones. hubby was raving about it.

i think i will try making the noodles though, sounds good.
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby mezmo » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:29 pm

We often re-roast the carcass again- chicken or turkey - until it looks
"golden" and then proceed to put it in the pot to boil with what ever other
ingredients you're using and then go on from there. Doing so greatly
enhances the flavors from the carcass. It is a much more intense flavor.
If you have the time to do so, when making soup, try it. You'll be pleasantly
surprised.

Cheers,
Norm/mezmo
If you have a house - you have a hobby.
mezmo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby AddOptions » Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:46 am

I buy the "homemade" style noodles at Sam's Club so I don't have to mess with making noodles. Sometimes I throw in a can of chicken meat and some cream of chicken soup. Like any soup, it's great for dealing with leftovers.

I've done this sort of recipe while camping using the leftover carcasses from the previous night's meal. I just put a big pot on the fire and let it cook for a couple of hours until the coals are almost gone. The only real challenge is straining the broth out of the pot so I can separate the meat and bones. Usually, I cook the noodles and veggies while I'm taking care of the meat. You just have to work fast so the noodles don't get overcooked.
AddOptions
Teardrop Inspector

Postby eaglesdare » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:19 am

yup the carcas goes back in the pot. i use a strainer, then i use my hands to seperate the meat from bone.
i don't use the cream of soups, but i add the leftover gravy and throw that in.
excellent way to get rid of the leftovers. if i were camping in this cold weather now, a bowl of this soup would hit the spot!

on the noodle issues, i just tried to cook them seperately, then laddle them in the bottom of the bowl, add the soup on top. worked out great, not soggy noodles.
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby gregp136 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:50 am

I have made my own teardrop, my own wine, my own beer, and even my own dinnerware for thanksgiving this year, but I have never made my own noodles. I guess that is next on my list.

Thank you,
Greg(and Laurie)
gregp136
The 300 Club

Return to Recipes by and for teardroppers Cookbook #1