1 package active dry yeast
    1 1/4 cups warm water
    1 Tbsp sugar
    1 1/2 tsp salt
    2 3/4 to 3 cups all-purpose flour
    1 Tbsp cornmeal
    1 egg white
    2 Tbsp cold water

Dissolve the yeast in the warm water in a large bowl. Stir in the sugar, salt and 2 cups of the flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough of the remaining flour to make the dough easy to handle.

Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead it until it is smooth and elastic - about 5 minutes.Form the dough into a ball and place it in a greased bowl, then turn the greased side up. Cover the dough with a towel and let it rise in a warm place until the dough doubles in size (approximately 1 1/2 to 2 hours).

Punch the dough down in the bowl, cover it and let it rest for 15 minutes. Grease a cookie sheet, then sprinkle it with the cornmeal. Turn the dough out, knead it down and roll it into a rectangle that tapers at the ends. Roll it up tightly, seal the edge and put it on the cookie sheet. Make 1/4 inch slashes in the load at 2 inch intervals. Brush the top of the loaf with cold water. Let the loaf rise until it doubles in size (approximately 1 to 1/12 hours).

Heat the oven to 375 degrees F. Brush the loaf with cold water, then bake it for 20 minutes. Mix the egg white with the 2 tablespoons of water and brush it over the loaf. Bake it until the loaf is golden brown and sounds hollow when it is tapped (20 to 25 minutes).

Mike
Hayden Lake, ID
Mike B
500 Club

Postby IndyTom » Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:41 pm

Wow! That really looks wonderful. :R I love bread.

Tom
Never trust a skinny cook

My build thread:http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36226

IndyTom
500 Club

Postby Wolffarmer » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:06 am

Would the world stop if I plopped it into a 12 or 14 inch dutch oven and called it bannock?

:D

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby Mike B » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:28 am

Wolffarmer wrote:Would the world stop if I plopped it into a 12 or 14 inch dutch oven and called it bannock?

I don't think the world works that way, Randy. Go for it. :D

Mike
Hayden Lake, ID
Mike
Hayden Lake, ID
Mike B
500 Club

Postby SmokeyBob » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:19 pm

Spread on some garlic butter and I could eat the whole thing. :twisted: :thumbsup:
Pics for Building the Alegria I
To view video click Here

Bob & Judith
SmokeyBob
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby the other side » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:35 pm

Is that the same cutting board from along time ago? You or someone here got some wood and made a few? NICE!!!
the other side
The 300 Club

Postby Mike B » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:20 am

the other side wrote:Is that the same cutting board from along time ago? You or someone here got some wood and made a few? NICE!!!

Every summer in Coeur d'Alene, we have a festival called Art on the Green. All kinds of crafts people come out of the wilderness to show off and sell their works. I have been to 26 of these festivals in the last 27 years.

I don't buy things willy-nilly, so if I purchase something there, it is special. The cutting board is one of the things I got, probably ten years ago. I also have a poisonous tree-toad shirt and a leather cover for small paper pads that I purchased at various times.

If I ever get off my duff and start producing gemstone cabochons again, I might even show up as a vendor at the thing.

BTW, they also have entertainment there. One year, they had Curtis Salgado and the Stilletos, which was great, as I am a big Blues fan.

Mike
Hayden Lake, ID
Mike
Hayden Lake, ID
Mike B
500 Club

Postby Wolffarmer » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:26 am

You have a shirt made of poisonous tree toads?

How cool is that.

:whistle:

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Return to Recipes by and for teardroppers Cookbook #1