Best corned beef I've ever made!!!

Recipes that work best for teardroppers

Postby mikeschn » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:03 pm

I did a corned beef last weekend, that I just need to tell you about. But first of all, yes, I know, I am a week early! St Patty's day is this weekend.

Anyways, what I did was buy a couple slabs of corned beef, and threw them on the smoker for several hours. Once the color looked good, I brought the slabs inside, and threw them in a large pot of boiling water. I boiled them for about 2 3/4 hours in the water. At that point I deemed the corned beef tender enough, pulled them out and put them in the fridge.

The next day, Monday, I took a big chunk into work, and shared it with the guys. They loved it. They were all over me, how did I do it? They acted like it was the best corned beef they've ever had in their life. It kinda took me by surprise.

So I figure if I'm onto something that I don't know about, I'd better share it with you guys.

I'll dig out the photos I took last weekend and share them in a bit.

Hey, this could be something good to do on the 4th of July, or Labor Day, or Memorial Day, or on MadJacks birthday, you get the idea... :D :thumbsup: :beer:

Mike...

Okay here's the pics... I should have taken one when I was slicing it. :oops:

Here it is on the smoker...

and here it is in the water...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Re: Best corned beef I've ever made!!!

Postby bonnie » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:31 pm

Mike,

That looks great!

I've done the reverse of what you did with great results. One change would be to marinate the flat instead of boiling, then slow cook it in the smoker. If you make sure to put the fat side up, it won't be dry at all.

Bonnie
Remember, the turtle won. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby Sonoma ZR2 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:39 pm

I was at work today thinking how I should do my corn beef this year and had already made up my mind to smoke it. Now after seeing it on the smoker that settles it. Smoke the meat and boil the veggies. Thanks for the pics Mike.
Sonoma ZR2
Teardrop Master

Postby asianflava » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:24 pm

I've smoked a store bought corned beef, but I didn't boil it afterwards, maybe I'll try that. If you smoke the corned beef the whole way, that makes it Pastrami. You have to soak it in water before you smoke it (if that's all you're doing) because if you don't it will be too salty, think of it as a reverse brining. I only soaked mine overnight and it wasn't enough.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:14 pm

You guys are on to something! Not having the barbeque handy, I rinsed off my corned beef and then browned it on both sides in an iron fry pan. After that, I put it in the crock pot and covered it with water, adding the pickling spices and 2 tablespoons of liquid hickory smoke. I set the crock pot on high for 3 hours. At the end of that time, it was done and tender. It tasted a lot better that way than it does when the package directions are followed. I think that next year, I'll try letting it soak overnight in water to leech out more of the salt. That might make it end up absolutely perfect! Thanks! :beer:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Alfred » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:24 pm

Sounds great, I'm going to give it a try next time I make a crockpot corned beef!

AL
4 minute video of our build - A 5x8 Camper for a family of 5 - http://youtu.be/CYGTlkfpIhY
How we built a 5x8 camper for a family of 5, using a utility trailer with an incorporated bunk bed for the kids.
From plain trailer to campground!

ImageImageImage
Also - More pictures here: http://flic.kr/ps/225piC
Alfred
Silver Donating Member

Postby mezmo » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:00 am

What's the story on the prices of corned beef?

The "fresh" pieces were close to $10 a pound! So we passed on it.

Even the canned corned beef is ridiculous. It used to be @ $1.89 -$2.59 a 12oz can,
depending where you bought it.

Now it's ridiculously higher. I cringed when I got a can at Aldi for $3.59.
But there was even a worse price on it at Walmart when I checked there - $4.88!

It used to be a reasonably economical item.

Cheers,
Norm/mezmo
If you have a house - you have a hobby.
mezmo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:05 am

We paid $3.99# on Saturday. It was on sale!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby CAJUN LADY » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:34 am

Mike, that looks simply delicious! Did you season the outside with anything? And do any of you put your cabbage in the same pot as the corned beef?
Becca
~Cajun Lady~
CAJUN LADY
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:36 am

CAJUN LADY wrote:Mike, that looks simply delicious! Did you season the outside with anything? And do any of you put your cabbage in the same pot as the corned beef?

Hi Becca,

Nope, no spices or anything on the outside. And when we boiled it we added the spice packet that came with the corned beef.

We didn't make any cabbage this year! But I don't boil my cabbage. I cook it indian style. It ends up looking more like this...

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:06 pm

Becca:

Unless you put the cabbage into the pot at the last minute, it over-cooks. (Carrots would probably be okay, though.) I waited until the corned beef was done and then put my quartered, uncooked cabbage in a microwave-safe bowl with a couple soup ladles of the liquid from corned beef pot poured over it. I put the cabbage in the microwave on high power until it was tender but still bright green in color. You know your microwave...they're all a little different. For me, that is 3 or 4 minutes. (Someone else mentioned steaming the vegetables separately and that would work too.) The cb liquid really gives the cabbage a nice flavor...no other seasoning is necessary. :thumbsup:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Sonoma ZR2 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:45 pm

I smoked mine on my Weber grill. I soaked it in water for 2 hours. Then I did put a rub on it over night. I saved the water to cook the veggies in the crock-pot. Add Guinness to veggies and the water pan for smoking.

Dry Rub

2 tablespoons peppercorns
1/2 tablespoon coriander seeds
1/2 tablespoon onion powder
1 teaspoon thyme, dried
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon garlic powder

I also put a paste of Mustard and Guinness on the brisket just before it went on grill.

It turned out great. Even though it had to finish in the oven.

But that's just because it learned to fly thanks to my puppy Shadow getting his tie-out caught on the grill and sent it flying 8ft. Thankfully the Corned Beef landed on the lid and grate.
Sonoma ZR2
Teardrop Master

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:01 pm

Sonoma ZR2 wrote:I smoked mine on my Weber grill...............It turned out great. Even though it had to finish in the oven.

But that's just because it learned to fly thanks to my puppy Shadow getting his tie-out caught on the grill and sent it flying 8ft. Thankfully the Corned Beef landed on the lid and grate.

HeHeHeHeHeHe!!! I hope your puppy is okay. I'll bet he'll never get around a smoking grill again! :lol:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Sonoma ZR2 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:05 pm

Yeah he's fine he just don't want to be on the lawn where it happened to much but he'll get over it. Crazy Puppies what can ya do with them but love them!
Sonoma ZR2
Teardrop Master

Postby Alfred » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:25 pm

S. Heisley wrote:You guys are on to something! Not having the barbeque handy, I rinsed off my corned beef and then browned it on both sides in an iron fry pan. After that, I put it in the crock pot and covered it with water, adding the pickling spices and 2 tablespoons of liquid hickory smoke. I set the crock pot on high for 3 hours. At the end of that time, it was done and tender. It tasted a lot better that way than it does when the package directions are followed. I think that next year, I'll try letting it soak overnight in water to leech out more of the salt. That might make it end up absolutely perfect! Thanks! :beer:

Hey Sharon,
I'm going to try a riff off your recipe. I have been doing crock pot roast pork Cuban style with Moho Marinade for quite a while.

I missed St. Paddy's very own day, and I have been craving the corned beef ever since. For the corned beef, I am intrigued about browning the corned beef roast putting it in the pot with the water and liquid smoke and letting it go. I am thinking of adding potatoes, onions, celery, carrots. Wondering should I do them separately or let it all cook together? Leaning toward the latter option. How much water to use, I've found I've used too much in the past. Wondering if I could just cover 1/2 roast with water and let it cook down? Anyway, I have the roast and the veggies and the liquid smoke on hand - We will find out tomorrow!

AL :thumbsup:
4 minute video of our build - A 5x8 Camper for a family of 5 - http://youtu.be/CYGTlkfpIhY
How we built a 5x8 camper for a family of 5, using a utility trailer with an incorporated bunk bed for the kids.
From plain trailer to campground!

ImageImageImage
Also - More pictures here: http://flic.kr/ps/225piC
Alfred
Silver Donating Member

Next

Return to Recipes by and for teardroppers Cookbook #1