Freeze your dough

Recipes that work best for teardroppers

Freeze your dough

Postby San Diegan » Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:21 pm

I used to like those frozen Bridgeford bread loaves you find in the super market. I now make a lot more serious bread from scratch at home. Nevetheless, I thought it would be nice to have fresh bread in the Coleman oven at Campsite. Given a lazy afernoon at the campsite, making bread or rolls from scratch is fun. But you have to have flour, yeast, salt, mixing bowls, and a lot of time for the rises. Freezing dougn at home when you are inclined to do some kneading gives you a product you can take along in the icechest Pop it in an oiled pan and you have time to hike, ride your bike, or kick back, drink beer, nap, and really do nothing.

Freeze Your Own Dough

For fresh-baked aroma anytime, freeze bread dough after mixing, kneading, or shaping. When mixing up the dough, you may optionally add a little more yeast to compensate for the freezing process. Oil the dough before placing it in a freezer bag (or baking pans if shaped). Allow room for expansion while the dough freezes solid; after the dough is firm, remove the excess air. When ready to use the dough, thaw at room temperature and continue where you left off. To freeze dinner rolls, shape and place on a baking sheet. Cover the sheet and freeze until solid. Then drop the balls of dough into a plastic bag to use as needed.

If your freezer has a fast freeze compartment, use it. There is less chance of killing the yeast rather than having it go dormant. I also use wet yeast in the little foil packets rather than dry.

If I am making dough on an ordinary day, I make an extra batch to freeze. That way there is some around for an impromptu trip.

The dough stays fairly inert in a Coleman Xtreme, surrounded by ice. To get it thawed and rising again, I place it in an oiled pan or on a sheet and cover it with a linen kitchen towel.

Thanks,

Tom
San Diegan
Teardrop Master

Postby Guest » Mon Sep 12, 2005 12:30 am

Thanks Tom,
Talk about making things simple for camping trips...
It looks like there is a lot I need to learn about yeast.
That is quite amazing to me that you could kill the yeast by not freezing it fast enough...
Oh Yaa... Thanks again for posting this info here, so more people will take note. :thumbsup:

Postby San Diegan » Mon Sep 12, 2005 8:27 am

A google search on "freezing bread dough" reveals a surprising amount of interest in this. Most of the techniques boil down to "mix the ingredients and knead, let it rise once, knock it down, shape and freeze immediately".

The appeal to me is that it is something that can be done ahead and the smell and taste of nice baked bread at the campsite is just wonderful.

Thanks,

Tom
San Diegan
Teardrop Master

Postby IraRat » Mon Sep 26, 2005 2:43 pm

I'll learn how to freeze dough as soon as I learn how to put my fenders on this week.

First things first.
--Ira

"My HD and Wal-Mart have been out of Titebond for weeks, and I think it's a communist conspiracy."
IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Return to Recipes by and for teardroppers Cookbook #1