Deep Fried Turkey?

Recipes that work best for teardroppers

Deep Fried Turkey?

Postby demtears » Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:10 pm

Calling all Tear Drop Chef's! I just got a new Turkey Deep Fryer for the Canadian Thanksgiving coming up in just over a week. We're going camping and would appreciate any tips or recipes for Deep Fried Turkey.

Since our Tear is still in the early stages we will be tent camping at Pinery Provincial Park. We've got quite a crew showing up and since I was the one who piped up about this, I really want to impress. :R
Darrin
demtears
Teardrop Master

Postby goldcoop » Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:35 pm

goldcoop
Silver Donating Member

Re: Deep Fried Turkey?

Postby dmb90260 » Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:29 am

demtears wrote:Calling all Tear Drop Chef's! I just got a new Turkey Deep Fryer for the Canadian Thanksgiving coming up in just over a week. We're going camping and would appreciate any tips or recipes for Deep Fried Turkey.

The first rule: Make sure the fire is OUT when you put the bird IN and when you take the bird OUT. That way should you spill the oil there will not be a major fire. There are legends, probably baseless, about a stream of fire going down the driveway and burning all the cars along the way.

Check out Cajun Injector. They have good marinades. Select one and inject it at least 24 hours ahead of time for best flavor.
As I recall, cook the bird for 3-3.5minutes a pound at 350 degrees.

When you put it into the oil (peanut only), turn the cavity away from you if possible. The oil will roll and roil though the cavity, hit bits of moisture inside and spit out of the kettle. Don't drop it in all the way, low it, and raise it slowly and then back into the oil.

Go to a welding shop and get some big gloves.
Then you get this...
This was my first effort, later ones were not quite as dark but they are all delicious. The only drawback... no gravy. You can find good canned gravy to bring along, don't forget the carving board and tools.

Enjoy, I have done 4-5 a year at my dog events. I am much loved. ;)
Dennis
Join the Kenskill Karavan at:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/kenskill_karavan/
Real Men cook with Black Iron
The Buzz In the Dale: The Buzz In The Dale
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Postby Guest » Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:53 am

Darrin,
Get peanut oil and buy it in bulk if possible. It's an expensive oil, so bulk is the best way to go. Nice thing about peanut oil is you can reuse it. Let it cool an strain it through a cloth when re filling the jugs. Make sure your turkey is dry before you lower it into the pot... Wipe the skin and the cavity with a towel.
Make sure you don't have too much oil, as to where it has a chance of over flowing the top of the pot... That's a sure fire, if the oil spills over. Where gloves and long sleeves.

Wants some good fries to go with that?
I took a stainless steel collander and put a stainless wire loop handles on it. Make sure the handle is long, because there will be moisture on the fries. I soak my uncooked fries in garlic water for a few hours. Upon removing fries, sprinkle with salt and garlic powder. :thumbsup:

Postby dmb90260 » Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:49 am

Sam's Club and WalMart have peanut oil most of the time. The standard kettle uses a 35# box. My local Costco seems to have it only at the end of the year. Any restaurant supply house should have it, buying in a grocery store will kill your wallet. Keep an eye out for a filter holder, I have a cone shaped one I picked up from my home brew days. I get grease filters from restaurant supply store and use those. You can use the oil 4-5 times maybe more if you filter it and store well. Five has been my limit.
Dennis
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Postby IraRat » Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:59 am

My wife hasn't taken the hint and bought me one yet, so I guess I'm going to have to do it myself.

But here's my big tip:

Put the still-bagged turkey into the pot, add water until it's covered, like an inch higher maybe, and remove the bird.

Take a grease pencil and mark the water level NOW on the pot. This is how much oil you should put in there before firing it up and sticking the bird in.

No overflow.
--Ira

"My HD and Wal-Mart have been out of Titebond for weeks, and I think it's a communist conspiracy."
IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby Woody » Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:41 am

The big tip is:

Make sure that the turkey is dry inside and out and totally thawed out with no ice in body cavity before you immerse it in the hot oil and use a glove to protect your hand during the process. I have done many turkeys this way. Nothing could ruin a good time than hot oil blasting out the body cavity on to your hand and arm.

Whole turkeys cook at 3 minute per pound at 350 degrees and no more than 11-12 lbs. inject the marinade the night before ( I use a Cajun Butter marinade from Sam's or Bass Proshops) I would recomend injection of marinade rather than a surface rub. The oil will last longer avoiding the surface rub. Surface rubs have a tendency to taint the oil with particulate that diminish the life of the oil and are tough (flavors) to remove even with filters. Peanut oil is normally used because it has a higher smoking temp. However you have to be careful about using it due to someone may be allergic to peanut products. Let everyone know that you are using it, so as to not ruin a good meal or a good time. The other thing about the oil is that it remains HOT for a long long time after use, so keep it away from areas were children or drunk adults are "Playing" once You have removed the turkey from the hot oil let it rest and drain in a flat pan or aluminum tray on some paper towels for about 10 -15 minutes before craving. This allows the hot oil to drains and make in managlable to handle. Your finger will appreciate it also.

You can cook a wide varity of meats in a deep fryer like Prime Rib, Filet migon, Ribeye , fish poultry. donuts, deep fried twinkes. (My presonal favorite) etc. Check the internet for site on stuff that can be done
The other tip I have is since the oil is hot already hot and your camping or whatever is to cook something else after you pull the bird out. I have cooked a turkey and then thrown in 10 -12 cornish hens or some chickens for another meal the next night while camping down in the keys. Saving time and effort the next day. Just warm them up and serve since I had cooked them the night before. They also sell a battery operated oil pump to drain the pot when it has cooled. I was skeptical about them at first. But finally got one well worth the expense to help drain the 4-5 gallons of oil back into the containeer for storage
Woody
The Tear Jerker's, Florida Chapter Director
E-mail: [email protected]
Tear jerker chapter site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Check the SE section for gathering information
Tear Jerkers new site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Enjoying life in 12 ounce increments is what it's about
Woody
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby demtears » Thu Sep 29, 2005 10:51 am

Thank's for the tip's everyone I just picked up one of those injectors for shooting the turkey up with marinade. And I am also planning on doing up french fry's! will be a great hit with the kid's, I just hope it work's out. Was planning on doing one a couple of year's ago everyone said to dangerous but I guess its all about common sense should be interesting anyway's :thumbsup:
Darrin
demtears
Teardrop Master

Postby IraRat » Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:34 am

It takes awhile to get the hang of that injector, but they work great. You have to take your time and find the good spots to get the marinade in there.
--Ira

"My HD and Wal-Mart have been out of Titebond for weeks, and I think it's a communist conspiracy."
IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby shil » Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:38 am

I thought that I had the only Turkey Fryer in Canada. Good Luck demtears! Believe me, your pals will be stunned. It makes for an excellent bird!
shil
Donating Member

Postby Woody » Thu Sep 29, 2005 11:44 am

The trick to injection is to make the minimal amout of holes in the skin. The more holes the more leakage and splattering you will have. Inject in multiple directions fron one hole and move on. As the turkey cooks it wil shrink and the initial plunge into the oil will sear the skin and puncture areas and leakage will be limited. It will be the best turkey you will ever have eaten. I did two 12 lbs birds at Little Talbot in Feb. There was not to much conversation during Dinner, a Sign that it was good. Of course the other food prepared by everyone else for the gathering potluck dinner was absolutely delicious also. I'll bet I personally gained five pounds that night alone from overeating. Goodluck and be careful
Woody
The Tear Jerker's, Florida Chapter Director
E-mail: [email protected]
Tear jerker chapter site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Check the SE section for gathering information
Tear Jerkers new site http://www.tearjerkers.net/forums/
Enjoying life in 12 ounce increments is what it's about
Woody
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby dmb90260 » Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:10 pm

I never thought of tossing in something else when I am done. A very good idea. :twisted: With a roasted turkey you usually have leftovers, rarely is there much left from a Cajun Turkey. :R

One other note, ALWAYS do this outside. That makes it a perfect fit with teardrop gatherings and campouts.

Enjoy.
Dennis
dmb90260
Titanium Donating Member

Postby IraRat » Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:21 pm

Woody wrote:The trick to injection is to make the minimal amout of holes in the skin.

There are like certain spots which are better to stick into to make sure you don't have a million holes. There are also places to inject under the skin, where you don't have to puncture, to inject the marinade.

Like I said, I never deep-fried one, but I've used the injector when smoking them.
--Ira

IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby demtears » Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:37 pm

I guess there will be two turkey fryer's in Canada now Shil!
actually it seems to be getting pretty popular around here. When I bought mine there was only three left total in my city to be found.

You guy's gotta stop! your making my mouth water, Im so looking forward to this. thank's to all! :R
Darrin
demtears
Teardrop Master

Postby Boodro » Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:52 pm

Another tip -- Never use honey on your turkey before you put it in the oil ,as it will turn your bird BLACK not the golden brown your lookin for! Ask me how I know! :cry: Not very appettizing . :thumbdown:
We are all travelers in this world , from the sweet grass to the packin house , birth till death , we travel between the eternities . ( Robert Duvall as Prentiss Ritter)
Boodro
1000 Club
1000 Club

Next

Return to Recipes by and for teardroppers Cookbook #1