Recipes that work best for teardroppers

Re: Gluten & Dairy free (+++) recipes - Help

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:38 pm

YUM! That sounds good! :D
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby MtnDon » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:35 pm

Tonights dinner... a pasta veggie dish... Most quantities approx.

Boil rice pasta spaghetti (DeBoles)... 150 grams dry wt before cooking. Do not overcook

1 medium onion, diced, sauteed till brown in a Tbsp of Ghee.

3/4 to 1 C brussels sprouts; sliced about 1/4" thick
3/4 to 1 C baby carrots, julienned
Steam about 5 minutes, add
3/4 to 1 C broccoli florets,
Steam a couple minutes more

Toss the steamed veggies into the onions, mix.
Sometimes we also use sliced zucchini

Drain & rinse (if desired) pasta
Add to pan with veggies. Mix while heating
Add soy sauce to taste & stir in.
San-J Tamari is gluten free; Kikkoman has very low gluten content

You can do the veggies to whatever degree of doneness you like. Because of some mandible issues I prefer them to NOT be crunchy.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby MtnDon » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:28 pm

Dinner tonight...

Chop and brown 1 sweet onion in ghee, set aside
2 chicken breasts (free range local); cut in small cubes. Fry in pan w/ a touch of ghee till just done.
1 jar 505 brand green chili sauce (they use rice flour as a thickener)... this is a puree type of sauce
5 heaping tablespoons El Pinto green chili sauce... this is a diced type of sauce
Precooked brown basmati rice, approx 3 cups cooked, (depends how much "fluidity" one wants in the finished dish)
1/2 to 2/3 cup frozen organic sweet corn; steam till tender then...
Combine ingredients in casserole dish... we use a shallow glass one
Sprinkle with Daiya cheddar cheese

Microwave or heat in oven till ready to serve. Enjoy

I realize my recipe contributions here all seem to include a green chili component. I am addicted :o

EDIT: I forgot to list the corn first time around.
Last edited by MtnDon on Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:58 pm

Oh, Yum, Don! Another good one!
I had something similar, tonight, myself. However, I love cooking chicken in Coconut oil. The two flavors blend spectacularly, especially with a little salt, garlic, and some herbs.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Catherine+twins » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:55 pm

LOL I only cook with green chile about 5 times a week myself. I know, I'm a slacker.

Looks delicious!

Catherine
Build Thread Penguino II: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=54919
Build Thread Penguino I: viewtopic.php?t=44431
"Oh, let's just stay here and sing camp songs for a while." 1966, My mom in Isle Royale, MN, in a women's bath house with a momma bear and two cubs outside the door, and three tired kids trapped inside
"Dad! Dad! There's a bear outside!" 1967, Lolo Hot Springs, MT, in a tent-top trailer
"Oh, no, there it goes!!" Nov 10, 2012 as Penguino I blew over in high winds
Catherine+twins
The 300 Club

Postby Vedette » Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:18 am

Sandi has been trying to eat Gluten Free for quite some time now.
So today when we were talking about our newly acquired Waffle Dog Iron, she says she has a supposedly great Gluten free waffle batter recipe to go with the Gluten Free breakfast sausages she has been buying.
So we might have something to add here, when our new WDI arrives.
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby Shadow Catcher » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:02 pm

We have a gas grill that plugs into the side of CR and one of the staples on the heart/diabetes is shish kabobs choice of veggies with beef or chicken pre cut up and in the marinade then frozen. Beef flank steak often marinated in teriyraki served with rice. We do a lot of chicken!
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby Vedette » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:50 pm

Woodbutcher
As I was reading your post to Sandi as she worked at the kitchen counter preparing our supper.......She turned and rolled her eyes :roll:
At that point I realized that she was preparing a peanut butter (plus more) marinated and coated Chicken Shish Kabobs for our dinner.
Eating healthy is wonderful! :thumbsup: Oh did I mention Sandi works in the deli at a Health Food Store??? :twisted:
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Good Roads
Brian & Sandi
Here is a link to my Build Journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50912
Image109106109111109110138766
Vedette
Silver Donating Member

Postby DandiCamper » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:17 am

Just found this GF recipe board. This makes me so happy! Food is a big part of camping for our family. Have several of us are GF and Dairy free. In the middle of my build but will be checking in here during time away from building/planning. Thanks for posting GF recipes :D
Kim
Life is a journey
DandiCamper
Teardrop Builder

Postby cheri832 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:37 am

Sharon,
Another dairy free choice for cooking is the canned unsweetened coconut milk. I use it in every curry dish (and a friend recently turned me on to all the different curry pastes.) And my favorite chocolate dessert of all times is melt a bag of bitter sweet or semi sweet chocolate chips with a can of coconut milk. Pour into serving dishes and chill. Yum. Hope you like them. :campfire:
Cheri
cheri832
Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:25 pm

Hi, Kim and Cheri:

For so long, this thread didn't get much attention. Suddenly there is interest! ...Yay!

In the past year, I finally discovered that I can no longer drink almond milk; so, have been using Flax milk, coconut milk, and rice milk in their place. Flax milk is the best and is very healthy for us. Coconut milk is good in some things but not in others and rice milk...well... :CC ...tastes like left over cooking water. Still, I'm doing pretty well now! (...To think that all this time, my almond milk replacement for dairy milk was what was making me feel so bad!)

I've discovered that I do best with meat in my diet but still eat vegan once or twice a week. I love my steak and chicken; so, I am happy to have them back. A couple years ago, I lost my ability to digest pumpkin and sorely missed pumpkin pie in the fall. But then, I remembered that many Southerners prefer Sweet Potato Pie over Pumpkin. I adjusted a recipe so that it uses sweet potatoes and a potato milk product called DariFree and I was back in business on that front! Incidentally, DariFree is a powdered "milk"-like product that works well when traveling, whether stored in your trailer or in your suitcase. It can be a lifesaver for any type of travel. It has a long shelf life, too. Like most "milks", DariFree tastes best for drinking or on your cereal when it is mixed with water and allowed to sit overnight, in the cooler. It also does a great job as a liquid replacement when making mashed potatoes and for other cooking needs. You can get it in many health food stores or via the Internet.

If you are looking for a special recipe, just ask and, chances are, somebody here will have what you need.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby SBergeron » Tue May 05, 2015 10:35 pm

Hey there! I've been gluten free for almost 7 years now and feel so much better. The best benefits for me have been no more migraines or intestinal distress and so much more energy! It is so nice now that I have made this change to feel better.

So dinner tonight:

Baked Sweet Potato (actually cooked it in the microwave until tender) a strip of crispy bacon crumbled over it. I can still eat dairy so I had a sprinkle of shredded cheese and a small amount of sour cream and a sprinkle of sea salt. Very filling and so much more tasty than a plain old white potato!

A dessert from the Dam Gathering that didn't even last long enough for me to get a scoop: Apple Cobbler with a biscuit style dumplings

6 apples cored, thinly sliced with the skin left on
1/3 C brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 T Butter (or non dairy butter like Earth Balance)
2 T cornstarch
1/2-3/4 cup ginger ale

1 Cup Gluten free Baking mix
2 T Sugar
2 T butter or Earth Balance
1/2-3/4 C water
mix baking mix sugar and butter until small crumbs, keep adding water until soft dough is formed (just holds it's shape when dropped from a spoon)

cinnamon and white sugar to sprinkle on the top of the dumplings

Melt the Butter/Earth Balance in deep frying pan (one with a lid) Toss the Apple Slices with the sugar, cinnamon and cornstarch put in pan with melted butter.
Cook apples until they start to get soft but not mushy! Pour in the ginger ale and stir to make sauce more liquid, bring to slow boil drop small spoonfuls of dough on to the boiling liquid, sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Cook just like dumplings simmer 10 minutes uncovered, 10 minutes covered with lid until the dough is cooked all the way through.

Cheers!
Stephanie

This was a big hit at the Potluck! Easy to make on the cook stove
Picked up our New Teardrop Sashay from from Teardrops NW in Salem Or September 20, 2013!
On location in Goldendale at the full sized Replica Stonehenge.
SBergeron
Teardrop Builder

Postby dales133 » Tue May 05, 2015 11:10 pm

I'm not gluten free or dairy free but I am diabetic so I watch my intake of both.
For camping and baking coconut milk powder is awsum to have on hand and ideal when you use only small amounts.
Either reconstituted with water or just added as poweder
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Thu May 07, 2015 12:05 am

Thanks for the Apple Cobbler recipe, Stephanie! I'll have to try that. :thumbsup:
Also, I'll look for powdered coconut milk and try it! :yes:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby MtnDon » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:47 am

Not exactly a recipe, but gluten free and non GMO!

Beerlao lager beer

It's rice brewed beer. Made in Laos since 1973. Looks like beer, though a tad light in color. Smells like beer. Tastes like beer! I found it in the local "world food market" tonight when I was buying some duck eggs. (Not only am I gluten sensitive but my gut rebels at chicken eggs :( ) And it was no more expensive than most imported beers; cheaper than many. 330 ml = 11.125 US ounces.

MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Recipes by and for teardroppers Cookbook #1