1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
    3 eggs, slightly beaten
    2 teaspoons salt
    1/2 teaspoon pepper
    1 teaspoon nutmeg
    1 teaspoon paprika
    3 tablespoons butter
    3 tablespoons flour
    1 tablespoon beef base and 1 cup water or 1 can condensed beef broth, undiluted
    1 cup sour cream

Soak bread crumbs in milk until softened. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a dutch oven and saute onion over low heat until softened.

In a bowl, mix the softened bread crumbs, cooked onion and ground beef. Add eggs, salt, pepper, nutmeg and paprika. Mix thoroughly until well blended.

Shape the mixture into small balls, dusting your hands with flour frequently while shaping the balls.

Melt the remaining 3 tablespoons butter in the dutch oven. Add the meat balls and fry until browned, turning carefully to brown all sides. Remove them from the dutch oven, pour off all but about 3 tablespoons of the drippings, then stir 3 tablespoons of flour into the remaining drippings. Stir until well blended. Add beef broth, and a dash of pepper. Cook, stirring constantly until thickened. Reduce heat to low and cook 5 minutes. Stir in sour cream, a little at a time, stirring until thoroughly blended after each addition.

Return the meatballs to the sauce; cover the dutch oven and simmer gently 5 minutes. Serve with hot buttered noodles. Makes about 6 dozen meatballs.

If the sauce is too thick for you, you can thin it with more beef broth.

I did these for a potluck retirement lunch a few weeks ago, and they were terrific.

Mike
Mike
Hayden Lake, ID
Mike B
500 Club

Postby madjack » Sat Oct 22, 2005 9:31 am

...sounds fantabulous....I do the same basic thing except I don't make meatballs, I just "skooch up" (southern term???) the ground beef and instead of the butter/flour/beef broth sause, I use a can of creme of mushroom soup and a half can of water, simmering with the seasoned beef, mix with noodles and then add the sour cream at the last and stirring it all up. I call it "stroganoff noodles" and seems to be a big hit whenever I serve it up(never any left)
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Nitetimes » Sat Oct 22, 2005 11:51 am

madjack wrote:...sounds fantabulous....I do the same basic thing except I don't make meatballs, I just "skooch up" (southern term???) the ground beef and instead of the butter/flour/beef broth sause, I use a can of creme of mushroom soup and a half can of water, simmering with the seasoned beef, mix with noodles and then add the sour cream at the last and stirring it all up. I call it "stroganoff noodles" and seems to be a big hit whenever I serve it up(never any left)
madjack 8)

Hmmmm sounds like hamburger helper without the box. Good stuff, might have to try it this way.
I do something similar with Ramon noodles and tuna.
You just make a couple of packs of Ramon noodles except don't add the spice yet, after they are cooked you pour off most of the water add the spice packs and a can of creme of mushroom and a can of drained tuna. Stir it up good and you have a quick easy one pan cassarol, cheap too!
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby IraRat » Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:16 am

Do you heat the soup?

You mentioned 3 of my hurricane supply rations that I have TONS of:

Ramon Noodles, Tuna, and Cream of Mushroom soup.
--Ira

"My HD and Wal-Mart have been out of Titebond for weeks, and I think it's a communist conspiracy."
IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby Nitetimes » Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:27 am

I usually pour the soup in as soon as I drain off some of the water and add the tuna while it's on the burner on low that gives you a chance to determine if you need to add a little water back in and it warms all the ingredients. That's why I don't put the spices in til after I drain off the noodles, no sense wasting the good stuff. After you make it a few times you learn to adjust the amount of water you cook the noodles in, making draining it off un-necessary. No need to try and get fancy about it it almost always comes out fine.
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby IraRat » Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:02 pm

I'm making it tonight, Nite:

I survived my power outage for a week without having to hardly dip into the pantry at all.

But tonight, I'm in the MOOD for this.
--Ira

"My HD and Wal-Mart have been out of Titebond for weeks, and I think it's a communist conspiracy."
IraRat
Forum Storyteller

Postby mikeschn » Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:04 pm

IRA...

Sounds a little like us... we've been on a low calorie diet for the past 2 weeks and last night we had such a taste for beef stroganoff. And oh, was it ever good.

Listen to your body...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Archer_1 » Wed Nov 02, 2005 6:27 pm

My better half makes this almost the same way MadJack does; she calls it 'Skid-Row Stroganoff'. That dish had a fair amount to do with my proposing to her all those years ago. 8)
Everybody enjoys a good pun; its just that nobody has ever heard one!

2003 Camp-Inn 550 Ultra
Archer_1
Teardrop Advisor

Postby madjack » Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:44 pm

Archer_1 wrote:My better half makes this almost the same way MadJack does; she calls it 'Skid-Row Stroganoff'. That dish had a fair amount to do with my proposing to her all those years ago. 8)

...cool, just don't go proposing to me all these years latter :shock: :lol: ;)
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby toypusher » Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:47 am

madjack wrote:
Archer_1 wrote:My better half makes this almost the same way MadJack does; she calls it 'Skid-Row Stroganoff'. That dish had a fair amount to do with my proposing to her all those years ago. 8)

...cool, just don't go proposing to me all these years latter :shock: :lol: ;)
madjack 8)

Thanks madjack! Now I have to go POKE my MINDS EYE out after that mental picture! :drofl:
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby Archer_1 » Thu Nov 03, 2005 12:21 pm

No threat of that happening; I assure you! :?
Everybody enjoys a good pun; its just that nobody has ever heard one!

2003 Camp-Inn 550 Ultra
Archer_1
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Recipes by and for teardroppers Cookbook #1