Perfect Meatloaf - luck or skill?

Recipes that work best for teardroppers

Perfect Meatloaf - luck or skill?

Postby Mike B » Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:31 am

I cooked my meatloaf for a dutch oven gathering we had on Sunday, and it came out cooked absolutely perfect - browned nicely on top and no crusties on the bottom. Someone at the DOG asked me how I did that, and I had to stop and think about it.

For my 12" dutch oven, I used 8 coals on the bottom and 18-20 on top (it was slightly windy). The coals on the bottom were arranged around the edge of the oven, instead of all over the bottom, so the bottom of the meatloaf was never exposed to hotspots.

I used regular bread crumbs in the meatloaf instead of italian crumbs, which have parmesan cheese in them and can cause crusties and sticky spots.

Finally, the recipe says 90 minutes. I used a windscreen around the dutch oven and cooked it for 70 minutes.

Luck or skill? Is knowing what NOT to do, skill? Then I think it was skill. On the other hand, I sometimes have catastrophic failures.

Do any of you have little tips that we can benefit from when cooking some of these dishes?

Mike
Hayden Lake, ID
http://www.blogicalthoughts.com/
Mike
Hayden Lake, ID
Mike B
500 Club

Postby WarPony » Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:39 pm

Mike, I have found that less coals makes for a better cooked meal. Not a bunch less, just a smidge. The windscreen makes a helluva difference on how much heat you need. Keep experimenting, I've probably screwed up more dishes than had come out good on my first try. I get good at one dish and keep on keepin' on.

As far as "perfect meatloaf", is that an oxymoron :thinking: ? Kind of like "pretty ugly" or "jumbo shrimp". Just kiddin' with you!! My mother made meatloaf when we were little and I hated it!!

People are funny about food......... I won't eat fried egg yolks but I love scrambled and deviled eggs!!
ImageImage

Still a million dollars away from being a millionaire!!
WarPony
Donating Member

Postby Mike B » Fri Oct 28, 2005 10:09 am

WarPony wrote:I get good at one dish and keep on keepin' on.

Yeah, it seems I have two real good ones now - meatloaf and herbed dinner rolls. I'm gonna work on a potato dish this weekend.

As far as "perfect meatloaf", is that an oxymoron :thinking: ? Kind of like "pretty ugly" or "jumbo shrimp".

More like Dodge Ram, New Improved or Microsoft Works. :)

Mike
Mike
Hayden Lake, ID
Mike B
500 Club

Return to Recipes by and for teardroppers Cookbook #1