Barbequed Ribs

Recipes that work best for teardroppers

Barbequed Ribs

Postby cracker39 » Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:36 pm

I haven't tried this recipe yet, but it sounds good. The best part is that all but the final grilling can be prepared at home and taken in the cooler to put on the grill for a quick camping feast.

Ingredients:
- Enough ribs to feed your crowd
- Canned Coca-Cola (not diet)
- Your favorite BBQ Sauce
- Garlic, salt, pepper, onion powder

Steps:
1. Place the ribs in a baking dish and pour Coca Cola in with the ribs until they are covered. Add BBQ sauce and spices.
2. Allow the ribs to marinate overnight.
3. Slow cook the ribs in the Coca Cola in an oven at 200 degrees for at least 4 hours (up to 12 will make them very tender). Make sure you cover the ribs to avoid burning them. If you're short on time, you can boil the ribs for about 2 hours.
4. Remove the ribs from the oven. Be careful, the meat may fall off the bone. You can refrigerate at this point if you're making the ribs for a next-day-tailgate or camp out.
5. Place your ribs on the grill. Brush with BBQ sauce. Sprinkle Old Bay or Cajun seasoning over the ribs if desired (or mix the spice with the sauce before brushing for the best effect).
6. Serve and enjoy!!

If you don't have Coke or want a different marinate, you can use BBQ sauce, vegetable oil or light olive oil, spices, and water. Be sure the ribs are covered with liquid while marinating. Cook them in the marinate.
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

Squidget Pop Top Build Pages http://www.thesquidget.com/ptbuild/ptbuild.html

Squidget and Pop Top Plans Info and Photos: http://www.TheSquidget.com
cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby madjack » Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:43 pm

Dale, a good substitute for your Coke marinade is italian salad dressing...contains oils and spices...works pretty darn good...also works well as a baste while cooking
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby asianflava » Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:45 pm

A similar dish/marinade that my mom would make are asian sis-ka-bobs. I think it is (I'm not sure of the amounts) a half a can of Sprite, cup of Soy and tablespoon of minced garlic.

Marinade thinly sliced pork in the frige overnight. Put the pork on skewers then cook on the grill.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 24, 2005 10:18 pm

I've always shyed away from cooking something twice.
A friend of my family, which I used to hunt/make firewood with owned a dinner house. He would take the ribs from all of his prime ribs, freeze them and bring them on hunting trips. They were easy, basically all you did was heat them up and put some sauce on them... They were good, but I think it was because they were cooked so slow the first time back at the restaurant.
I do my baby back pork ribs with just hickory smoke and some seasoning... no sauce needed.
If I'm doing beef ribs, I'll take and grate some orange peels into my sauce, but I wait until they're just about done before painting them with any sauce.

Postby cracker39 » Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:42 am

Dean, I have used the slow oven cooking, and even boiling the ribs before putting them on the grill. I always wait until the last 10 or 15 minutes to paint on the sauce or it burns black before the ribs are done. I don't really care for the ribs in some rib shacks where they serve the ribs dry and you just add sauce. I like it "cooked in" and a little crispy. It's OK to add sauce to pulled or sliced beef or pork, but not the ribs.

Have you ever tried Lloyds baby back ribs from the grocery? They can be microwaved in the package and taste just like they came off the grill. You can put them on the grill if you want, but I haven't tried it. They'd probably be even better that way. There is so much sauce that you'd have to remove some before grilling and add it back while they're on the grill. I found another brand packaged just like Lloyds (can't remember the brand), but they aren't as good as the Lloyds.
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Slayer » Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:07 pm

That all sounds real good, but it aint bbq. No way, no how.
I know its the photographer, and not the camera. I'll keep shooting with a Pentax. Just in case.
Slayer
Teardrop Master

Postby cracker39 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:32 pm

Slayer wrote:That all sounds real good, but it aint bbq. No way, no how.

Maybe not to a BBQ purist who makes his own sauce, but the Lloyds ribs are better than some I've eaten in BBQ joints. I'll have to try putting on the grill. I'm betting that will make them even better.
Dale

cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby asianflava » Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:51 am

As far as prefab bottled sauces go, I found one that I really like. I just looked online and I guess they have restaurants too. I like the Sticky Fingers, "Carolina Classic" sauce. It is a mustard based sauce which goes well with even the Texas BBQ. It's kinda of like Sonny's BBQ sauce.

http://www.shopstickyfingers.com/detail.aspx?ID=62

I love BBQ and like to try different places. We just drove to a BBQ place about 50miles away to check them out. I liked their sausage but they were out of brisket. This place was hardcore, not only did they NOT offer sauce, they didn't have forks!
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby bledsoe3 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:10 am

Rocky, We got a place like that near my house. Napkins are useless. They put whole rolls of papertowels on the table.
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby asianflava » Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:02 am

They had a sign out front, of course we didn't see it till we were leaving. I can't remember exactly what it said but it was something like this

No Checks
No Credit Cards
No Sauce (nothing to hide)
No Forks (They are on the end of your arms)

You go to the smokehouse area and order and pay for your meat. They give it to you on butcher paper. They also give you some plates (a couple more pieces of butcher paper). Then you go to another area where you order your drinks and sides. Another place in town gives you butcher paper (plates) but it more like a gimmick.

There is another place we like to go, it is in a dry county so if you want you can bring a cooler, it's BYOB. You can get their BBQ family style, a big plate set in front of everyone. All you can eat brisket, sausage, and ribs.

When I go to FL I like the sliced pork BBQ, they don't have it here the closest thing is bbq pork loin (not the same). My wife works with a few people who go back to NC from time to time. When they can, they bring us some NC pulled pork BBQ. BBQ in NC (at least Eastern NC) is different from anywhere else. Their sauce is a vinegar based sauce with peppers.

We've tried most of the different styles of BBQ all over the South East. We still have to go to Memphis and Kansas City to try their BBQ. My cholesterol is spiking, just writing this thread.
Last edited by asianflava on Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:53 am, edited 2 times in total.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby bledsoe3 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:32 am

I think I need some of that butcher paper to protect my keyboard from the drool. :MLAS
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby cracker39 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:41 am

asianflava wrote:When I go to FL I like the sliced pork BBQ, they don't have it here the closest thing is bbq pork loin (not the same). My wife works with a few people who go back to NC from time to time. When they can, they bring us some NC pulled pork BBQ. BBQ in NC (at least Eastern NC) is different from anywhere else. Their sauce is a vinegar based sauce with peppers.

We've tried most of the different styles of BBQ all over the South East. We still have to go to Memphis and Kansas City to try their BBQ. My cholesterol is spiking, just writing this thread.

I don't really care for the mustard or vinegar BBQ sauces (except the mustard sauce I make to put on grilled Bluefish). Sonny's offers 3 different sauces, one with vinegar, one hot, and one "sweet" (more conventional). I prefer the latter. But, I much prefer Fat Boy's BBQ to Sonny's.

We also have one of those hardcore BBQ places that closes in the summer, I guess because they have no AC or glass windows...just screens and wood "awnings" that open and close. The meat is cooked in large pits, right inside the place, and it gets really hot in there, but they have lots of fans on the counters. They do give you a paper place though. They don't have buns, just loaf bread and the sauce is on the table. It's a really popular place, but I wasn't impressed by their BBQ.

Some of the best sliced pork BBQ I have eaten was in MD, at a couple of different small walk-up window type places on the side of the road. They all have a big wood fired "pit" where it is cooked, then it's sliced and served on a bun and you put on the sauce of your choice.
Dale

cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Return to Recipes by and for teardroppers Cookbook #1