Grandma’s Fruitcake Recipe

Recipes that work best for teardroppers

Postby Rob » Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:34 pm

My dad used to do some work for the local monestary. Never charged them a dime. Each Christmas they brought him a gift of their wares from their monastery and others. The fruit cake didn't stay together well because there was so much booze in it - rum I think, but might have been a grape distillate. As a kid I was restricted how much I could eat. :cry: Once I had my driver's license I couldn't have any if I was going out. That stuff would spike your BA over 0.1 in nothing flat! :wine: I sure do miss that stuff. :cry:
Rob
Rob
:wine:

:peace:
Rob
500 Club

FRUTICAKE SURPRISE

Postby Raven » Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:11 am

(In a bowl soak a dozen dried apricots, half a dozen dried apples, two handfuls of dried cranberries and two handfuls of golden raisins in a quarter cup of good rum, warmed, for at least an hour (up to overnight).)

New to the group, and would like to add to this thread on fruitcake. Everyone hates fruitcake, Its to dry for one, the citron peel kills the flavor as does the green cherries. However I make one and also like the above add in a bowl dried fruit, but I add it to a pan, with 1 cup Myers Spiced Rum and 1/2 cup Kaluha. I simmer for 10 minutes and set aside.
I then use a basic Gingerbread box mix and add soaked cooled fruit, plus 1 teaspoon clove, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice. I bake and set aside to cool.
After they have cooled I had a mix of Rum and Kaluha, about 1/4 cup of each. This I spoon over the top of cake and set aside to rest as you normally do with fruitcake. Must be stored in a airtight container.
I have never had a complaint on my fruitcakes. always get requests to make more.
Would love feedback from anyone that trys this.
:thinking:
Raven
Measure life not by the breath you take, But by the moments that take your breath away.
Raven
Teardrop Builder

Postby madjack » Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:19 am

Hey Raven, welcome to the board...that looks like a pretty darn good recipe...even if you don't like fruit cake...you wouldn't have a picture of one would ya...ya know we just luv da pics :D :lol: ;)
madjack 8)

p.s. Y'all just know I have to keep up the tradition ;)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Raven » Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:51 am

No I sure dont. Just looks like your regular gingerbread only with fruit.
My friends call this drunken sailor cake, as it is spiced. But EVERYONE even fruitcake haters love it.
For holidays I make them and pass them out.
I however have a pre-made friendship fruit mix I have to speed things up.
So all I have to do is scoop out a few cups and make the bread(cake)
I love to cook and play in food.., 8) and never run short of ideas.
Thank you for asking however..
Raven[/img]
Measure life not by the breath you take, But by the moments that take your breath away.
Raven
Teardrop Builder

Postby Laredo » Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:04 am

Love that avatar, Raven!

And that receipt should've called for 2/3 cup, I typed it wrong.
Mopar's what my busted knuckles bleed, working on my 318s...
Laredo
Donating Member

Previous

Return to Recipes by and for teardroppers Cookbook #1